Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Beginning work as a courier company employee

Options
  • 29-01-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice for a friend who's starting work with a courier (it's a multinational company but a local franchise)
    He's never done this kind of work before but is enthusiastic, just concerned because he's only going to get paid at the end of the month and hasn't been told exactly what the wages will be - does anyone know if this is because it depends on the amount of deliveries he has to make, or if anyone has any advice at all, it would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have lots of couriers calling here, three companies often 6-8 deliveries a week.

The one common factor is they all seem to hate it, they are completely over worked and stressed out, even the self employed folk say it’s barely worth the hours.

Also, who in their right mind starts a job where you have to work a month in hand not knowing what the wages are, that’s nothing short of madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

_Brian wrote: »

Also, who in their right mind starts a job where you have to work a month in hand not knowing what the wages are, that’s nothing short of madness.

An unemployed person, unfortunately!! That's the reality of it for him. It sucks but he's not spoilt for choice. I am skeptical about it myself, I work in a place where couriers call in most days too and some of them seem to be really chirpy and upbeat, while others are clearly stressed, that's why I said I'd ask the question here; I obviously don't want to ask the guys who call in here anything about their pay or conditions, I don't know them well enough. I know it wouldn't be the type of job I'd enjoy but my friend does love driving and prefers to get up early and get his working day over early so I'm just hoping there isn't some really horrible down-side to it all that will dishearten him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭enricoh

No offence but i think he's gonna be a lamb to the slaughter.
    Hes going to take a job n not know what hes getting paid? Generally doesn't end well!
    I know a few lads that used to do couriering and all left - a version of self employed slavery with oodles of stress! One was working for a lad that had the franchise n he had a small tip n wages were deducted to pay for it. What happens if and when your mate crashes? Id want it all in writing on day one!

enricoh wrote: »
    No offence but i think he's gonna be a lamb to the slaughter.
    Hes going to take a job n not know what hes getting paid? Generally doesn't end well!
    I know a few lads that used to do couriering and all left - a version of self employed slavery with oodles of stress! One was working for a lad that had the franchise n he had a small tip n wages were deducted to pay for it. What happens if and when your mate crashes? Id want it all in writing on day one!

I fear you're right. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

First question i'd have is if he is really an employee or is self employed.

• Advertisement

Hi vandriver,
    Your username sounds like you know what you're talking about on this topic!! :-)
    Thank you for wading in.. AFAIK he's an employee - he's been given a van, phone, uniform, fuel card .. there was never any discussion about him being self-employed - would that be a normal enough scenario for couriers?

Advertisement