Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Migraleve

• 29-01-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,553 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a decent alternative for Migraleve? I usually buy the mixed pack of pink and yellow ones but they have not been available in shops for the past few months and according to the manufacturers it might be another couple of months before they start again. I know I can take solpadeine but that doesn't work totally for me as it does not contain the antiemetic that migraleve has.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Your pharmacist can now sell Sumatriptan without a prescription, if you have been previously diagnosed by a doctor as having migraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only thing that ever worked for me was prescrpition Imigran. Was sheer magic and came in a nasal spray as vomiting was a huge issue .

Can you not get it from your GP?

Graces7 wrote: »
    The only thing that ever worked for me was prescrpition Imigran. Was sheer magic and came in a nasal spray as vomiting was a huge issue .

Can you not get it from your GP?

Just to follow on from this and from my previous post:

Sumatriptan and Imigran are the same thing.

Although, that being said, the Nasal Spray formulation mentioned by Grace is still Prescription-Only.

The best piece of advice for any migraine sufferer:

Whatever you're going to take - be it a prescription only med such as the Imigran Spray or Zomig tablets, or something Over-The-Counter like Sumatrimtan tabs, Migraleve, Solpadeine or even plain ordinary Paracetamol - take it early!.

The moment you think to yourself "Hmmm... I think I might have a migraine coming on.", that's the time to take something.

If you say to yourself "Hmmm... I think I might have a migraine coming on. I'll wait a while and see if it gets worse/doesn't go away/whatever.", you're already too late!

This is because in addition to the headache, migraine can also shut down peristalsis, which is the process that moves food etc through the gut. If you wait too long, then whatever tablet you take will just stay in the stomach and it won't reach the intestine. If it doesn't reach the intestine, it can't be absorbed into the bloodstream and it can't get to work.

(The Nasal Spray mentioned by Grace bypasses the gut and is absorbed into the bloodstream through the nasal muscosa, so it doesn't have this problem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The best piece of advice for any migraine sufferer:

Whatever you're going to take - be it a prescription only med such as the Imigran Spray or Zomig tablets, or something Over-The-Counter like Sumatrimtan tabs, Migraleve, Solpadeine or even plain ordinary Paracetamol - take it early!.

The moment you think to yourself "Hmmm... I think I might have a migraine coming on.", that's the time to take something.

If you say to yourself "Hmmm... I think I might have a migraine coming on. I'll wait a while and see if it gets worse/doesn't go away/whatever.", you're already too late!

This is because in addition to the headache, migraine can also shut down peristalsis, which is the process that moves food etc through the gut. If you wait too long, that whatever tablet you take will just stay in the stomach and it won't reach the intestine. If it doesn't reach the intestine, it can't be absorbed into the bloodstream and it can't get to work.

(The Nasal Spray mentioned by Grace bypasses the gut and is absorbed into the bloodstream through the nasal muscosa, so it doesn't have this problem)

with me the vomiting would set in before the pain hit. The Imigran spray was incredible, Like switching the whole migraine off at the mains.. they were so severe r that I ended up in A and E and admiited to a ward a couple of times as the vomiting was dangerous. I used to wake up wtih them

Thankfully old age has diminished ordinary migraines but the CFS/ME now has started vestibular migraines which are a whole different ball game

Migraines are an appalling thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement