Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a caravan

Options
  • 29-01-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have been tinkering with the idea of a caravan for years and after visiting the holiday world expo at the weekend getting a caravan was the only takeaway I had as there were a few on display. We are now down to 2 adults and one 8 year old and might manage to convince my 17 year old to holiday or trip the odd time so I think a minimum 4 berth, don't really think I need anything bigger. I am driving a Volvo V70 so 1500Kg should be fine according to the specs.
    We are living in Sligo so weekends by the beach would be great, I have plenty of space around the house, not covered but could probably manage to build a canopy type cover off the gable to keep sheltered from the elements.

I like driving abroad and usually spend three weeks in Spain each summer and drive between the locations so last year for example I flew into Girona and flew home from Malaga. What I would ideally like to do is visit friends close to Santander and possibly drive as far as the Algarve over the space of a month.

So I suppose where do i start, I am thinking a budget of around 6K, I have been reading up on what to look out for but are my plans realistic, is a caravan trip in southern Spain and Portugal within reach, during the summer I imagine you need a decent air con unit for starters.
    What should my starting point be, are there brands I should be looking at over others, any advice welcome.
    Cheers.

Advertisement