Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company won't cover car I'm buying - even temporarily

Options
  • 29-01-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Planning on buying a new car tomorrow, I contacted my insurance company (BoxyMo) and they said they won't cover it for any period of time because of the spec of the car (Audi A5 2.0 Diesel).

A bit stuck for ideas here, I can't even pick up the car and bring it home. Even if they would cover me only for the day I would've been happy to leave it off the road until my policy ended in April and go with another company that will insure me.

I googled temporary car insurance and I can't really find anywhere in Ireland that does it.

Anyone else experienced this before?

Comments

Can someone else, with "other Car" permissions, not be able to pick it up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Can someone else collect it for you and drive it on their driving other cars extension. Might be the handiest way out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you buy a policy online I think you have a 14 day cooling off period...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

Yeah that's probably my only option, it's possible.. just a lot to ask of a friend/family member to come to Dublin (from Limerick) to collect a car for me. Cheers for the advice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You can buy new insurance from another insurance company, although you'll not get the current year's no claims bonus. The other insurance would lapse. Painful, would the person you bought off of drive to your place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Id be careful with the driving of other cars extention as it usually only covers thrid party only. So it'd be risky depending in he value of the A5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Doesn't the car need to be insured by someone for someone else to drive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Can the garage deliver it for you? If it was me I'd just cancel this year's insurance and get a new one but I've full no claims so no odds to me.

macnug wrote: »
    Can the garage deliver it for you? If it was me I'd just cancel this year's insurance and get a new one but I've full no claims so no odds to me.

Private seller and I only have 1 year NCB, if I wait till April when I have my 2nd year, new policy will be 1600, if I cancel now and start it with 1 year it'll be 2400. I'd rather wait lol.

Cheers for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Shox2711 wrote: »
    Private seller and I only have 1 year NCB, if I wait till April when I have my 2nd year, new policy will be 1600, if I cancel now and start it with 1 year it'll be 2400. I'd rather wait lol.

Cheers for the suggestions!

Ah right I see, is the seller still insured on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doesn't the car need to be insured by someone for someone else to drive it?

Only if the person driving it has their insurance with Aviva or Liberty. Those companies have a condition in their 'driving other cars' cover that there is a policy in force for the car you borrow, whether it covers you to drive it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Be very careful with " others drivers" even if you get it home it is not covered for theft or fire.

Do you not have to disclose fact you were refused insurance when getting quotes, never heard of that insurance company, probably better going with liberty .

Know it is not much help but did you not get insurance quote before you bought car ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you a high risk OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

sham58107 wrote: »
    Be very careful with " others drivers" even if you get it home it is not covered for theft or fire.

Do you not have to disclose fact you were refused insurance when getting quotes, never heard of that insurance company, probably better going with liberty .

Know it is not much help but did you not get insurance quote before you bought car ?

He wasn't "refused Insurance" as such. It is more the case that boxymo won't cover this particular Car.
    As for 'better off going with liberty'...if he is with boxymo now then Liberty were not even close to entertaining him with his current Car ;).

sham58107 wrote: »

Liberty quoted me 2400 right now with one year NCB, if I wait till April to get my 2nd year NCB it's only 1600.

Are you a high risk OP?

Not high risk but I'm not an ideal customer for insurance companies either.

23, driving 1.5 years with a year NCB. No points. Not bad but definitely understandable that their hesitant to cover me on an A5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your current insurers are obliged to cover you on any vehicle for which you have a valid licence and it is not against the 'public interest'. ,(3rd party)

Your current insurers are obliged to cover you on any vehicle for which you have a valid licence and it is not against the 'public interest'. ,(3rd party)

Are they obliged to give him a quote for 'any vehicle' if he proposes to purchase said model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Liberty quoted me 2400 right now with one year NCB, if I wait till April to get my 2nd year NCB it's only 1600.

Go with this then cancel after 24 hours saying you have a cheaper quote elsewhere. You have a cooling off period so will only cost a few quid. Do it via direct debit so they don't take the whole lump off you. Either that or get it towed.

Insurance in this country is an absolute disgrace, I have no doubt they would insure you in a golf TDI with the same engine

coylemj wrote: »
    Are they obliged to give him a quote for 'any vehicle' if he proposes to purchase said model?

They won't offer a quote for a vehicle he is 'thinking' about buying, it must be a vehicle he owns and is licenced to drive. The against the public interest aspect is difficult to establish. Insurers could argue that a powerful vehicle in the hands of an inexperienced driver presents undue hazard to other road users, but that conflicts with the State's position in granting the licence. The obligation to offer cover is limited to 3rd party cover, insured only to drive, no extras and the price might not be pretty

• Advertisement

They won't offer a quote for a vehicle he is 'thinking' about buying, it must be a vehicle he owns and is licenced to drive.

I have never bought a car without first getting a quote for what it will cost me for the months remaining on my current policy i.e. I rang and said I was thinking of buying so and so model and they gave me a quote. There's absolutely no reason why an insurance company can't give you a hypothetical quote.

What you're suggesting is that the process involves you buying the car and then, while standing on the dealer's lot with the keys in your hand, you start ringing around for quotes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They won't offer a quote for a vehicle he is 'thinking' about buying, it must be a vehicle he owns and is licenced to drive.

What are you on about? I can go online now and get a quote for any car I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Go with this then cancel after 24 hours saying you have a cheaper quote elsewhere. You have a cooling off period so will only cost a few quid. Do it via direct debit so they don't take the whole lump off you. Either that or get it towed.

Insurance in this country is an absolute disgrace, I have no doubt they would insure you in a golf TDI with the same engine

If you accept the quote they will probably seek a deposit at least before they will confirm cover. if you then cancel they will recover as a minimum the days on cover and probably an admin fee. You will then have to wait to be refunded the balance.

They may not cover a Golf TDI - there are multiple factors making up the insurance quote - perhaps they consider a Golf TDI in the same risk category or in their company only allow people with less than years experience up to 1.5l etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Pelvis wrote: »

You can also call your own insurance company in advance of the purchase of a new car and test what they would charge you for the new model (or in this case will they even provide cover).

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Planning on buying a new car tomorrow, I contacted my insurance company (BoxyMo) and they said they won't cover it for any period of time because of the spec of the car (Audi A5 2.0 Diesel).

A bit stuck for ideas here, I can't even pick up the car and bring it home. Even if they would cover me only for the day I would've been happy to leave it off the road until my policy ended in April and go with another company that will insure me.

I googled temporary car insurance and I can't really find anywhere in Ireland that does it.

Are you Learner permit or Full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hello2020

Even if they would cover me only for the day I would've been happy to leave it off the road until my policy ended in April and go with another company that will insure me.

have u thought of towing the car or paying a car dealer to driver this to your place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »

Well yes and no, it still requires the provisions of the DCA to be invoked and causes problems when there are existing policies in place as three refusals are required from three different insurers (even with a policy change).

The problem is if your current insurer refuses to do so and subsequent insurers provide a quote you can't then force your current insurer to do so.

Pelvis wrote: »

I'll tell you what I'm on about. I stated your current insurer is obliged to cover a vehicle you have a licence to drive, they can't refuse you. I never doubted that alternative quotes were available elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

have you checked that anyone else will insure you before you go off and buy the car?

• Advertisement

I'll tell you what I'm on about. I stated your current insurer is obliged to cover a vehicle you have a licence to drive, they can't refuse you. I never doubted that alternative quotes were available elsewhere

What do you mean by 'elsewhere'?

Are you still claiming that you cannot get a quote from your current insurer for a hypothetical purchase?

Which is what you said in post #21 ........

Advertisement