Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a netatmo weather station?

Options
  • 29-01-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of picking one up to play with. Was wondering if they were worth it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

have one here and one at my mothers. Get the shield for the outside unit and just watch placing as they are sensitive.

Shield for outdoor unit

http://my.meteoware.com/renvyle/

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Are they rechargeable or work of AAs?

Do you get much out of it? I'm not sure if I'd use it, just like the idea of having one.

Can you use it to kick off any smart home functions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've been thinking of buying one for ages, maybe later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Standard AAA's seem to last a good while. I have the Netatmo thermostat and it feeds data to it. Sometimes my thermostat comes on early due to it's data.

I added it to my Home Assistant setup, have not added any scripts as yet for it

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

I've had a Netatmo weather station for a number of years, including the wind and rain gauge. The base station and external temperature have always been very solid. The rain gauge is great, but you do need to calibrate it properly. The wind sensor was a pain in the beginning, it went through 4 AA batteries every 4-6 weeks. I had it replace last year and the new one gets about six months on a set of 4 AAs. With all of these sensors, the placement is critical. I used to get a temperature spike in the mornings when the sun hit the sensor directly before I moved it. Same with the wind and rain sensors; they need to be well away from any obstructions.

I get temperature and wind warnings from the Netatmo app directly and I have a few IFTTT triggers set too, but really only for notification and tracking rather than triggering actions. But I have in the past had IFTTT flash the lights if the rain comes on and there's washing on the line.

R

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Have one about two years with the rain, wind and outdoor module.
    First two outdoor units packed in after 6 months each. In both cases the supplied batteries leaked and the units failed. I stuck my own batteries in the third unit and it's been there well over a year.

Both units replaced under warranty.

The only thing I don't like about them is you don't own your own data. It all ships to the cloud and you access from there. Would perfer if there was some local way to access it.

Nice to have little thing if you're into your weather stats.
    I ship mine into HA and from there to influx DB for long term storage. Using Grafana to visualise the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

@RunDMC how soon after it rains do you get a notification? The rain unit talks to the indoor module which in turn passes on info to the netatmo backend.

I've seen up to 11 minutes delay in this happening so potentially the shower has passed and the damage done. Normally it's in or around the 5-7 minute mark.

I was trying to get an alert on the upstairs velux for rain if the window was open but gave up due to the long delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

I have to say I've never noticed a delay, but that's not to say it not there. It could be a few minutes but no more than that.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colinmac

I got one recently with two indoor modules added on.

Nice if you are trying to monitor both the weather and your house.

I've integrated the data into OpenHAB and I'm planning on using it to help manage the heating (already OH controlled). So far so good, I'm happy with it.

Advertisement