Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-WRT Vs OpenWRT Vs AsusWRT

• 29-01-2019 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭

Hey All.

Have an Asus RT AC87U that is giving sterling service at the moment but I am feeling the need to tinker.

Currently running AsusWRT on it and configuration wise it does pretty much everything I want.
    There are some foibles with enabling/disabling VPN, but other than that fairly solid with no real comolaints.

Apart from the FCC limited output at 80mw a channel and ASUS crippling the ability to raise the output in "Official" firmwares and TBH many of the forks leave me wondering about their security.

That leads me to either OpenWRT or DD-WRT, I've kind of ruled out OpenWRT as there are known issues with the broadcom drivers and 2.4ghz radio.
    So it seems that by default to ensure maximum WiFi capabilities it's DD-WRT or continue with AsusWRT.

So has anyone any input on the pros of switching to DD-WRT for the Asus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

Have you tried the Merlin s/w for your Asus?

I'm using that on an older Asus and find it good. its a very straightforward swap over.

Advertisement