Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand canal run

• 29-01-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you run the grand canal route from lucan to city centre.

fed up with the route via palmerstown and islandbridge. its fine until get to heuston but last 3 miles to work drive are headwrecking with having to stop at 8 or 9 road crossings.

is the canal route lit up all the way in? is it better than the palmerstown route? would there be 4 or 5 miles of a non stop section to work in some quality workout running without having to stop for traffic?

Id be looking to get in near merrion square.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you run the grand canal route from lucan to city centre.

fed up with the route via palmerstown and islandbridge. its fine until get to heuston but last 3 miles to work drive are headwrecking with having to stop at 8 or 9 road crossings.

is the canal route lit up all the way in? is it better than the palmerstown route? would there be 4 or 5 miles of a non stop section to work in some quality workout running without having to stop for traffic?

Id be looking to get in near merrion square.

There are decent stretches without crossing roads but might be easier if you went your standard route and then at island bridge took a right to join up with the grand canal and run that into town. Would avoid the city centre via Heuston and not much of a detour to get to across the liffey.

To your other question, not sure that it's lit up at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is lit from Sarsfield GAA all the way in to the city. I used to run it once a week a few years ago without issue... you will pass groups of teenagers, I always kept my head down and had no issues but there were a few muggings back during the summer where people had bikes stolen.

The route goes under most roads along the way with one crossing (IIRC) between Lucan and Inchicore. From Inchicore on you have a lot of road crossings and some that go under bridges. I would estimate you would need to stop at 3-4 junctions at most.

It is 100 times nicer to run than the N4 tho... quiet and peaceful without that constant traffic drone of the N4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Sometimes jog along the stretch between Lucan and Clondalkin. It's grand generally. Gangs of d##kheads with cans are more of a problem in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

id be running it early morning. 6am or so. any safety issues to consider?

has anybody done both routes? is the canal a far nicer route?

is it straightforward to follow all way in to merrion square?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

id be running it early morning. 6am or so. any safety issues to consider?

has anybody done both routes? is the canal a far nicer route?

is it straightforward to follow all way in to merrion square?

Have ran both(only did N4 once, never again)... canal is my choice. In the morning it is very quiet, might meet ducks and swans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There has been some issues for cyclists on it in the early morning, I used to run i it .

Where is the turn off for canal at Island Bridge?

There has been some issues for cyclists on it in the early morning, I used to run i it .

Where is the turn off for canal at Island Bridge?

What sort of issues were cyclists experiencing early morning?

I imagine Rory is recommending to turn off the islandbridge road and head up past kilmainham to the canal. Not familiar with how to get to the canal from kilmainham hotel but just know its up that direction. I imagine there would be a number of busy roads to cross along that route too?

The route via palmerstown/chapelizod/islandbridge is ok but not really suited to tempo running or intervals. Long downhill section into chapelizod also which wouldn't be useful for quality work. You have a stretch right on path beside N4 and the last 3 miles from heuston to merrion square are just frustrating unless you get lucky with quieter traffic day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I run it regularly. Have been verbally abused a few times by scrotes but I just keep my head down and say nothing. There are a few crossings if coming from Lucan. The first is in Clondalkin at the 9th Lock then the next is the Kylemore Road then another at The Black Horse pub. I haven't run further past that junction though.
    It can be kind of boring running on it sometimes as it's just one long straight stretch. During the summer evenings there will be a lot of scumbags hanging around the locks. Can be nasty enough of a wind blowing on it also and you'll get it for the full length of your run if your unfortunate enough to be going in the wrong direction. If you are going with it though its grand!
    Also the swans aren't the most friendly on it either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What sort of issues were cyclists experiencing early morning?

I imagine Rory is recommending to turn off the islandbridge road and head up past kilmainham to the canal. Not familiar with how to get to the canal from kilmainham hotel but just know its up that direction. I imagine there would be a number of busy roads to cross along that route too?

The route via palmerstown/chapelizod/islandbridge is ok but not really suited to tempo running or intervals. Long downhill section into chapelizod also which wouldn't be useful for quality work. You have a stretch right on path beside N4 and the last 3 miles from heuston to merrion square are just frustrating unless you get lucky with quieter traffic day.

A few cyclists have gotten attacked on it and objects thrown at them.

When I run into town the N4 its just a general run, but the luas tracks are a good way avoiding the traffic. Again not for a quality session

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I've run both, early mornings. Rarely get caught at junctions. Canal is probably nice than running beside the motorway, but to be honest at that time of the morning I am barely woken up so don't really take in much of the scenery.

Agree with the point of running up the Luas tracks if you are going the N4 route....if you end up running close to or beside a Luas the lights usually change nicely in time with it for an easier passage.

I have done some infrequent quality runs on both routes and the canal one would definitely be better for that.

Have only ever ran towards town, so the net downhill and prevailing wind is always an added bonus (/cheat)!!

• Advertisement

if running the canal path from adamstown, where would you come off for phoenix park? any land marks to watch out. have jogged into city but fancy long run down canal to phoenix park and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

if running the canal path from adamstown, where would you come off for phoenix park? any land marks to watch out. have jogged into city but fancy long run down canal to phoenix park and back?

Suir Road Luas Stop. Turn left at road there and keep running.

Advertisement