Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish reception

• 29-01-2019 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

I am sure this is a silly and stupid sort of question and shows my utter lack of knowledge of all things related to Satellite TV but sure if I don't ask I will never know. So here goes

I have recently acquired a house in Spain with a large Satellite dish on the roof. to hook this up to the TV I know I need some sort of decoder box. Would an Irish one do as I have a couple that I no longer use or do I need to get someone over there to provide me with one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,485 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There might be a built in satellite receiver in the TV to which you can connect the cable from the dish. If not use any of your existing satellite boxes to check what channels you can get. It will depend on which satellite the dish is pointing at. If the previous owner was Spanish it will probably be 19 East or 30 West. If they were UK/Irish it might be 28 East.

Ideally you should speak to the previous owner, or any close neighbours. A lot will depend on the size of the dish and where you are in Spain. Not much hope of getting the main UK channels like BBC if you are down South. Click on the footprint links to see the dish sizes for stations on 28 East.

https://www.flysat.com/astra28.php

Even if you have reception, you won't be able to watch the Irish channels because they are part of the Sky package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

Hi all

OK I managed to connect the satellite to the tv and tune it in. It is the Astra 2 E sat and i have loads of useless stations and none of the good ones as they are all scrambled. I am told that Sky will not provide a service in Spain but lots of people seem to have it. Does anyone here know how they are getting it?

Hugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

By getting someone in the UK/Ireland to subscribe and then taking the equipment and card to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Here is a bit more info, the use of satellites for TV has advanced a lot and broadcasters are getting a lot betrer at stopping people watching their channels. Your case is a perfect example. SKY/BBS have introduced spot beams and this means all the usual channels are no longer available by sat in spain.

Have a look here https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E.html

and click uk under the frequency. this will show what I mean.

scroll down the list and you will get another beam and that is available in spain.

BBC/ITV are available on 27.5west but that is very difficult to get, ie complicated.

People use a UK card in spain with a uk address.

and I would ask locals.

PS I should add a lot of it has to do with film rights, footie etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

HughF wrote: »
    Hi all

OK I managed to connect the satellite to the tv and tune it in. It is the Astra 2 E sat and i have loads of useless stations and none of the good ones as they are all scrambled. I am told that Sky will not provide a service in Spain but lots of people seem to have it. Does anyone here know how they are getting it?

Hugh
    IPTV.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

HughF wrote: »
    Hi all

Hugh

You should have all the FTA channels available to you such as BBC, ITV, Channel4, Channel5, Sony, Paramount etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,706 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You should have all the FTA channels available to you such as BBC, ITV, Channel4, Channel5, Sony, Paramount etc etc.

A lot of those channels are on beams tightly focused on these islands.

Advertisement