Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe commute cycle route

Options
  • 30-01-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I am due to start commuting by bike from Ballinteer/Dundrum area to Dublin Port. I dislike cycling in heavy traffic and would like to stick to cycle routes/lanes as much as possible. I would rather the route be slightly longer if it is safer! Anyone have any tips?

I was thinking Clonskeagh road (cycle lane) , Beaver row and Anglesea road/Simmons court road, then Serpentine Avenue and up through ringsend to the east link. But I'm not very familiar with anything after the RDS.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Serpentine Avenue is usually fine but take the lane from the tracks to beyond the roundabout. I’d sometimes cycle it at rush hour on the way home. Although I much prefer going through Sydney Parade and Sandymount.

Beaver Row is not exactly cycling friendly. It’s narrow and clogged with traffic often without room for bikes to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

East Link will be the worst bit. Its a clusterf#ck.

Going further up the liffey would be better in a way. Cross Samuel Beckett using the ped light to access the right hand edge, then cycle down the "promenade" along the north quay to the port. Once you hit the roundabout it'll be truck central again.

Not been around that way in 10 years or so, so not sure what it's like these days but turning right from Clonskeagh road on to beech hill/beaver row was never pretty for me in normal hours eg 8am (luckily I was usually passing at 6am or 12 pm). You would need to be in traffic well before the road splits into two lanes straight on and right turning. Normally I'd ride that way 5 am or 12pm so no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Try this one

Bit of traffic on Churchtown Rd Lwr to Windy Arbour Luas stop and again on Beaver Row and the East Link Bridge, but the rest is very quiet and some lovely stretches along the river.

If you can carry the bike down some steps then there's a nice diversion around the back of Ashton's in Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hutty1

Serpentine Avenue is usually fine but take the lane from the tracks to beyond the roundabout. I’d sometimes cycle it at rush hour on the way home. Although I much prefer going through Sydney Parade and Sandymount.

Beaver Row is not exactly cycling friendly. It’s narrow and clogged with traffic often without room for bikes to get through.

Thanks, maybe going through UCD and up the n11 so!

• Advertisement

Bit of traffic on Churchtown Rd Lwr to Windy Arbour Luas stop and again on Beaver Row and the East Link Bridge, but the rest is very quiet and some lovely stretches along the river.

If you can carry the bike down some steps then there's a nice diversion around the back of Ashton's in Clonskeagh.[/quote]

That's great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did a similar route to the IFSC at one stage. Clonskeagh, Beaver Row, Anglesea Road, Shelbourne Road, Grand Canal St, Macken St and over Sam Beckett Bridge - was definitely the shortest and quickest route in. Beaver Row is a dog on the way home in the evenings, crawling traffic out of town and heavy traffic coming in too and parked cars outside the cottages - so I explored different routes.

The Grand Canal cycle track is a good option too - Dundrum, Milltown, Ranelagh (parked cars at Tesco are often a problem, but seems to be less frequent these days), then turn right along the cycle track down to Grand Canal St. It's 1k or 2k longer, but doesn't make a whole hill of beans in the long run.

Either way, it's still way better than sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I avoid Beaver Row by continuing down Clonskea Road and crossing to go down Eglington Road towards Donnybrook. What it adds in distance, it removes from the stress of Beaver Row! You can follow the Dodder track from Herbert Park to the East Link, passing the Aviva on the way. I often walk over the East Link, rather than cycle if too many trucks around. At Ballsbridge, I usually cross at the lights and go down Beatty Ave along the Dodder. I recommend adding distance, over using crowded roads without cycle paths. Relax and enjoy. Don't get caught up in best times or shortest distance.

CapnHex wrote: »
    I avoid Beaver Row by continuing down Clonskea Road and crossing to go down Eglington Road towards Donnybrook. What it adds in distance, it removes from the stress of Beaver Row! You can follow the Dodder track from Herbert Park to the East Link, passing the Aviva on the way. I often walk over the East Link, rather than cycle if too many trucks around. At Ballsbridge, I usually cross at the lights and go down Beatty Ave along the Dodder. I recommend adding distance, over using crowded roads without cycle paths. Relax and enjoy. Don't get caught up in best times or shortest distance.

Yes I agree, definitely happy to go a longer distance if it's safer and more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's a few cut throughs through UCD. If you go in the main gate by AIB, left at the roundabout by the sportscentre, down the side of the bowl will bring you down to Greenfield Park (the road opposite Nutley Lane at that crossroads on the N11).

If you don't mind a bit of gravel, and probably one get off the bike, you can go aorund the other side of the bowl, down the pitches and there's a gap in the wall that gets you to the back of the Beech Hill Estate (not sure what it's officially called). That'll bring you down to the pedestrian lights by the footbridge on Beaver Row. You could go over that bridge and cut into Donnybrook that way and then down by or through Herbert Park, if that gave different options from Ballsbridge to then go on to Ringsend - no idea whether that would be "better" than down Anglesea Road though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement