If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few clarifications re. a 55 inch Philips 4K Ambilight...

Options
  • 30-01-2019 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Hey lads/lasses

I'm looking seriously at replacing my 9 year old 37 inch Philips LED box. It has served us well and we're hoping to move up to a 55incher so we can see our boys taking the Grand Slam up real close and personal in a few weeks... :D

Now, that 6703 looks like it might tick the boxes for us. However, I'm wondering why the 6803 and/or the Android 7000+ series is not in yeer catalogue. Any particular reason /issue associated with them not being on the menu?

Also, can you clarify/confirm that the 6703s ship with both Freesat and Saorview.

As to the 6 year warranty, how does that work in practice? Is it based on call-out to my gaff by an engineer, or is it RTB at your address? In the latter case, is it all arranged by Philips or yourself, and at whose expense? Also in that latter case, is a temporary replacement covered? Oh, and BTW, are ye confirming that ye'll stand over all these warranty issues if y'all fall by a Brexit wayside... :P

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hey lads/lasses

I'm looking seriously at replacing my 9 year old 37 inch Philips LED box. It has served us well and we're hoping to move up to a 55incher so we can see our boys taking the Grand Slam up real close and personal in a few weeks... :D

Now, that 6703 looks like it might tick the boxes for us. However, I'm wondering why the 6803 and/or the Android 7000+ series is not in yeer catalogue. Any particular reason /issue associated with them not being on the menu?

Also, can you clarify/confirm that the 6703s ship with both Freesat and Saorview.

As to the 6 year warranty, how does that work in practice? Is it based on call-out to my gaff by an engineer, or is it RTB at your address? In the latter case, is it all arranged by Philips or yourself, and at whose expense? Also in that latter case, is a temporary replacement covered? Oh, and BTW, are ye confirming that ye'll stand over all these warranty issues if y'all fall by a Brexit wayside... :P

Thanks in advance.

Tom
    Hi TomOnBoard.

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately I have no answer for why we don't stock the whole Philips range. All our purchasing is done via our head offices in London and Dublin.

The 6703 does have Saorview and has a satellite tuner built in and will pick up free to air satellite stationsd but is not FreeSat approved. So the EPG could have some issues, stations not in correct order etc....
    Very few manufacturers pay the Freesat licence to allow them to be Freesat approved.

For our 6 year guarantee. Should there be an issue with the TV within the 6 years, you just drop us a call and then we would arrange a engineer to call out to you if required.
    There is no extra cost for this service for our customer and is handled by ourselves as it is our guarantee and not Philips.

There is no loan television offered with our guarantee.

Our guarantee will still stand after Brexit (Although I'm not sure what "Stand over all these warranty issues" means as in general there are very few issues with products). Are there are issues in particular you are taking about?
    If we cant get an engineer from the North we will find one in the South to do our service calls.

T&C's of our 6 year can be found here:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/t-six-year.aspx

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi Kenny

Thanks for prompt reply.

Have you any imminent price specials on these 6703s or any Boardsie sweeteners? Blue Monday was particularly savage this year...:eek:

Tom

(Although I'm not sure what "Stand over all these warranty issues" means as in general there are very few issues with products). Are there are issues in particular you are taking about?/quote]

Poor choice of words on my part. I meant it in the context of how any warranty issues would be impacted post-Brexit. Your reply deals with my concern, thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Tom,

I don't think there is any 'southern' price movements upcoming on the 6703 series on the immediate horizon - in fact the £ price has moved upwards recently but we have been able to hold the € pricing at €649..

..I know what you mean about Blue Monday :(..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

I don't think there is any 'southern' price movements upcoming on the 6703 series on the immediate horizon - in fact the £ price has moved upwards recently but we have been able to hold the € pricing at €649

Hi John

I'd probably be paying in Stg anyway so would welcome any 'sweeteners' ye might have in that case...

Have you got stock of the 50inch and 55 inch? Also what's delivery times like to ROI Midlands?

I may be forced into accepting the 50 as I'm struggling to get wifey to accept that a larger screen is best. (She tells me that it's the 1st time I ever suggested that size does in fact matter in anything... :eek: )

Tom

I don't think there is any 'southern' price movements upcoming on the 6703 series on the immediate horizon - in fact the £ price has moved upwards recently but we have been able to hold the € pricing at €649

Hi John

I'd probably be paying in Stg anyway so would welcome any 'sweeteners' ye might have in that case...

Have you got stock of the 50inch and 55 inch? Also what's delivery times like to ROI Midlands?

I may be forced into accepting the 50 as I'm struggling to get wifey to accept that a larger screen is best. (She tells me that it's the 1st time I ever suggested that size does in fact matter in anything... :eek:  )

Tom
    Hey Tom.

We have indeed both the 50 and 55" PUS6703 in sstock and ready to ship.

Deliver would be 2 or 3 days depending on the weather (If we are to believe the forecast there could be some delays) This also excludes weekends.

The best price on the 50PUS6703 would be the listed £449 unfortunately but we could offer free shipping and you also get our 6 year guarantee free of charge.

The 55PUS6703 priced at £549 currently but has a voucher code (TV20) which would drop it to £529.00 and again I can offer free shipping on this.

• Advertisement

Hey Tom.

Deliver would be 2 or 3 days depending on the weather (If we are to believe the forecast there could be some delays) This also excludes weekends.

The best price on the 50PUS6703 would be the listed £449 unfortunately but we could offer free shipping and you also get our 6 year guarantee free of charge.

The 55PUS6703 priced at £549 currently but has a voucher code (TV20) which would drop it to £529.00 and again I can offer free shipping on this.
    Ok. Thanks for the sweeteners. How will I proceed to order?

edit: I have created an account.

Hey Tom.

Ok. Thanks for the sweeteners.  How will I proceed to order?

edit: I have created an account.
    Hey TomOnBoard.

If you drop us your contact number in a PM we can give you a call for details :)

Also, I have a Home Theatre (5-spkr) surround sound system that I bought from your Dublin store in the early1990s. Its currently in storage so I can't get to see the AV Receiver model. What technology was used then (pre-HDMI) to connect to TVs and would that generation of AT Receiver connect to the new TV in your view?

Also, I have a Home Theatre (5-spkr) surround sound system that I bought from your Dublin store in the early1990s. Its currently in storage so I can't get to see the AV Receiver model.  What technology was used then (pre-HDMI) to connect to TVs and would that generation of AT Receiver connect to the new TV in your view?
    Hi TomOnBoard.

Everything used to be scart connection but this is now this connection is no longer added to televisions. Scart has slowly disappeared once HDMI was introduced.

Did the unit carry picture or only audio? Did it have a built in DVD Player?

Hi TomOnBoard.

Everything used to be scart connection but this is now this connection is no longer added to televisions. Scart has slowly disappeared once HDMI was introduced.

Did the unit carry picture or only audio? Did it have a built in DVD Player?

Only Audio. It has a FM/AM tuner built in but no DVD.

• Advertisement

Only Audio. It has a FM/AM tuner built in but no DVD.

Actually, I just checked my insurance inventory on what's in Storage. The unit is a Teac AG V4200 and there is an external Marantz CD player in the stack as well.

Also PM sent to Kenny with phone number. I'll be here for another half hour or so if someone could call me pls.

Thanks

Also PM sent to Kenny with phone number.  I'll be here for another half hour or so if someone could call me pls.

Thanks
    Will drop you a call now TomOnBoard.

Can you confirm that payment went through OK on your end as that's the first time I've used that card for Stg. Thanks.

Can you confirm that payment went through OK on your end as that's the first time I've used that card for Stg. Thanks.
    Hey TomOnBoard.

Yip everything is good to go at this end.

I will get the TV shipped tomorrow and our courier will then be in touch via text to confirm delivery.

Thanks Kenny/Aaron for the easy transaction.

Can you confirm that the mounting screws for attaching the TV to my VESA bracket come in the box. Thanks

Thanks Kenny/Aaron for the easy transaction.

Can you confirm that the mounting screws for attaching the TV to my VESA bracket come in the box.  Thanks
    Hi TomOnBoard.

No problem at all.

There would be no screws with the TV for mounting onto a bracket. 

These are normally supplied with the bracket. There should have been several set of screws of different lengths and diameters included at the time of purchase.

Hi Kenny

PM sent. Can you check and have someone call me pls.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Kenny

PM sent. Can you check and have someone call me pls.

Thanks

Tom
    Hi Tom,

No problem I'll get back to you asap.

Kind regards

David

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

I'll be leaving here shortly, David. Can someone give me a shout asap pls thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

I'll be leaving here shortly, David. Can someone give me a shout asap pls thanks.
    Thanks for taking my call Tom, that's that sorted for you.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thanks & Regards...

All that's needed now is for two pensioners to figure out how to get the yoke that is nestled comfortably in its cardboard casing onto the VESA wall- mount....  

As herself said to me... Ya didn't really think it through alllll the way....;-)  

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thanks & Regards...

All that's needed now is for two pensioners to figure out how to get the yoke that is nestled comfortably in its cardboard casing onto the VESA wall- mount....  

As herself said to me... Ya didn't really think it through alllll the way....;-)  
    Hey Tom.

Hopefully it would poss too much of a challenge :)

The little refund for the price drop was also completed yesterday for you.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thanks & Regards...

Hey Tom.

Yeah, I got it mounted on the bracket today... Great fun as the Philips 37 inch used 8mm screws and this one uses 6mm.  Also the Vesa dimensions have dropped from 300 * 300 to 300 * 200 which necessitated some surgery on the bracket.

Getting back to the refund, I dunno what is going on with yeer pricing... Your site is now showing the TV at £499.  Will that price promise thing still apply to this further drop, as the TV was bought on 1st February and arrived Monday?

I'm going to need to speak with someone as to how the country code is being set on the TV.  The Saphi system seems to think I'm located in Eastern Europe (showing .pl apps) and no freeview play appearing on the apps list.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thanks & Regards...

Hey Tom.

Yeah, I got it mounted on the bracket today... Great fun as the Philips 37 inch used 8mm screws and this one uses 6mm.  Also the Vesa dimensions have dropped from 300 * 300 to 300 * 200 which necessitated some surgery on the bracket.

Getting back to the refund, I dunno what is going on with yeer pricing... Your site is now showing the TV at £499.  Will that price promise thing still apply to this further drop, as the TV was bought on 1st February and arrived Monday?

I'm going to need to speak with someone as to how the country code is being set on the TV.  The Saphi system seems to think I'm located in Eastern Europe (showing .pl apps) and no freeview play appearing on the apps list.
    Hi Tom.

Glad you got it mounted in the end.

Regarding the further price drop, unfortunately all our pricing is done at head office and is out of our hands.
    Our price promise only operates up to 7 days but I'll see what can be done for you.

The freeview play App will not be available as its a UK based service.
    When first setting up the television did you set the region to Ireland, just in-case the wrong region was selected as this could affect the apps. Although usually its done via your IP address.

I have a direct contact number for their tech team which might be worth a call.
    0044 2079490319

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thanks & Regards...

Hey Tom.

Hi Tom.

Glad you got it mounted in the end.

Regarding the further price drop, unfortunately all our pricing is done at head office and is out of our hands.
    Our price promise only operates up to 7 days but I'll see what can be done for you.

The freeview play App will not be available as its a UK based service.
    When first setting up the television did you set the region to Ireland, just in-case the wrong region was selected as this could affect the apps. Although usually its done via your IP address.

I have a direct contact number for their tech team which might be worth a call.
    0044 2079490319
    Hi Kenny

Yeah, I understand that your Head OFfice handles pricing adjustments. However, I cant speak with them, so I'm passing my issue to you, as a representative of Richer Sounds.

a) Regarding the 7 day matter, and seeing what can be done:  My TV arrived on Monday 4th, having been invoiced out on Friday 1st at 529 (549 less 20 on foot of a TV20 voucher code).  The actual price on Monday was set at 519- hence the pricing adjustment already discussed.  On Friday 8th, the TV was advertised at 499 on the .ie and .co.uk sites with a further 20 reduction through the RSTV20 voucher code on the .co.uk site.  All this within a week of invoicing/shipping out the TV. So, effectively the TV that was netted out to me at 529 was priced at 479 on .co.uk within a week. 

b) The TV was set up as in the UK.  Freeview Play may well have IP-location in place, but I dont believe that's the issue.  The problem is that the SmartTV start-Up menu bar is simply not responding to a number of app selection inputs, not just Freeview Play.  For example, when BBC iPlayer is selected from the App Gallery, it plays OK when selected the 1st time, but after exiting, it accepts no further inputs.  Delete the App from the SmartTV bar, and re-select it from the App Gallery, and it works 1 time again. It seems to be more of a Saphi issue than a Freeview one.   

Hopefully we can get a) above sorted out today/tomorrow, and b) above asap- I understand that may be a bit more challenging to resolve.

Otherwise, the actual TV itself is awesome in terms of both picture and Ambilight effect.  The sound is better that I had expected also- a greater depth than feared, although it will benefit from my Orbitsound Soundbar as soon as I can set it up.

So, my observations on the TV in general would be "Sounds good.. Looks awesome... Shame about the brains" 

Thanks again for your help 

Tom

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi tom,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you,

We can 100% assist on some of your issues but being straight with you some of these issues are beyond our control.

I understand you annoyance with us regarding the price drop in the price of your TV - but we pride ourselves on reacting to all pricing competition and if a competitor with a similar offer drops their price then we will always try to at least match their price - hence the price drop on your TV. - again being straight with you if we did NOT drop our pricing you would probably be more annoyed if you saw the TV available cheaper elsewhere.

We are one of the only retailers in our sector who offer a comprehensive price beat - including a guarantee to beat our OWN prices - as you know and you have already have already benefited from the 1st price drop, if we drop our pricing within a 7 day period after delivery we will happily refund the difference. 

However, as much as we might like to, we just can't help with some issues, BBC iPlayer is not available in Ireland - even if you select a UK location unless you are physically located in the UK or use a UK VPN ( which we are not recommending) then BBC iPlayer and many other Apps will not work - Apps are generally Geo sensitive and this is beyond our control and to be honest even if an app is available at a point of time it may later be deactivated by either the manufacturer or the App controller and again this is beyond our control.

Likewise the Vesa issue and the change in screw diameter from your previous TV - there is no standard ( beyond the 'variable' VESA standard) that applies to VESA sizes or screw diameters - generally TV's have become lighter over the years and thus the hardware requirements no longer need to be so heavily engineered - Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience of having to modify your old bracket to fit your new TV. 

Again in terms of no screws coming in the TV box - as Kenny explained above, no TV manufacturer supplies screws to fix a TV to a bracket, generally they will come supplied with the bracket as of course the TV manufacturer does not know if you do want to use a bracket and if you do want to wall mount, what mount you are going to use.

I'll ask Kenny and the guys to look into the pricing issue for you, please accept my apologies for all your other issues - but again they are beyond our control and we will not be able to rectify these for you - but of course if you are unhappy, just box the TV back up and we will refund it for you no problem.

As ever don't hesitate to drop us a line if you have any thoughts or if we can assist in any other way,
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi tom,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you,

We can 100% assist on some of your issues but being straight with you some of these issues are beyond our control.

I understand you annoyance with us regarding the price drop in the price of your TV - but we pride ourselves on reacting to all pricing competition and if a competitor with a similar offer drops their price then we will always try to at least match their price - hence the price drop on your TV. - again being straight with you if we did NOT drop our pricing you would probably be more annoyed if you saw the TV available cheaper elsewhere.

We are one of the only retailers in our sector who offer a comprehensive price beat - including a guarantee to beat our OWN prices - as you know and you have already have already benefited from the 1st price drop, if we drop our pricing within a 7 day period after delivery we will happily refund the difference. 

However, as much as we might like to, we just can't help with some issues, BBC iPlayer is not available in Ireland - even if you select a UK location unless you are physically located in the UK or use a UK VPN ( which we are not recommending) then BBC iPlayer and many other Apps will not work - Apps are generally Geo sensitive and this is beyond our control and to be honest even if an app is available at a point of time it may later be deactivated by either the manufacturer or the App controller and again this is beyond our control.

Likewise the Vesa issue and the change in screw diameter from your previous TV - there is no standard ( beyond the 'variable' VESA standard) that applies to VESA sizes or screw diameters - generally TV's have become lighter over the years and thus the hardware requirements no longer need to be so heavily engineered - Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience of having to modify your old bracket to fit your new TV. 

Again in terms of no screws coming in the TV box - as Kenny explained above, no TV manufacturer supplies screws to fix a TV to a bracket, generally they will come supplied with the bracket as of course the TV manufacturer does not know if you do want to use a bracket and if you do want to wall mount, what mount you are going to use.

I'll ask Kenny and the guys to look into the pricing issue for you, please accept my apologies for all your other issues - but again they are beyond our control and we will not be able to rectify these for you - but of course if you are unhappy, just box the TV back up and we will refund it for you no problem.

As ever don't hesitate to drop us a line if you have any thoughts or if we can assist in any other way,
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  
    Hi Tom,

I tried to call there to process the refund for the price drop but couldn't get through.

I'll try you again in the morning.

Kind regards

David

Hi David 

Can you advise your number (straight landline) and I'll call you.

Thanks 

Tom

• Advertisement

Hi David 

Can you advise your number (straight landline) and I'll call you.

Thanks 

Tom
    Hi Tom.

Our store number is 0044333 900 0070

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.