Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, if you had to buy a crossover/mini SUV type of thing. . .

• 30-01-2019 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Here's a thread I thought I'd never start.

Anyway, MrsTeal has decided she's sick of yer 05 Yaris (1.3, 85k miles) as "it's too low for getting the little 'un in the car seat, no aircon, no remote locking, yadda yadda" - i.e. it's not as nice/new as her friend's cars. Now it's a great car, only a few niggles with it that I've fixed e.g. swapped washer pump, swapped headlamps - failed MOT for corrosion etc. So right now, the car is tip-top but not worth very much, I paid £1400 for it about 16 months ago.

That brings us to what I've been looking into since yesterday - these mini crossover things that I don't really understand the reason for. So I've had a look into the Captur, Ecosport, Stonic, Kona, Karoq, CX-3, some Citroen, probably some more I've forgotten but I keep coming back to the SEAT Arona. Seems a little bigger/higher than most (especially with 17" wheels). The SE Tech version comes with decent kit and the price I've been offered for a 0% PCP is £15,570. Not seem the breakdown but from what I've seen around it's usually about 10% deposit and about £160-170pm for 4 years. Price seems good, is there a new model coming? 1-2 year used ones are not looking much cheaper. May give one a test at the weekend.

Now this would be for herself. My trusty old 07 Mazda 3 is just coming up on 60k miles but is as solid as ever so I'd be happy to carry on with that until it dies - I only do about 3k miles per year. I'd anticipate that any trips (possibly bi-annual) back to Ireland would be in this new car, are these types of car big enough for 3 people, a load of luggage and 2 cats in a big cage?

So has anyone any experience of these types of car?
    Any models I'm overlooking?
    Should I just tell her to keep the Yaris and possibly move myself into the spare bedroom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Luggage space in these mini SUVs tends to be very disappointing. I would say you would struggle with the load you are talking about. Though the split rear seats can give you more room if you are happy with luggage encroaching into the cabin (with Junior in the back beside it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I would try to stretch to one class above small crossover models you mentioned (likes of Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq, etc) as those will be more future proof, family friendly and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I took two test drives in the Ateca, it was very similar to my Tiguan.

I can’t inagine the Arona will not have boot space for what you describe, the Ateca probably has but not the Arona.

Boot space on my Tiguan has been the biggest disappointment in it.

Don’t think any of the super mini suv will have boot space you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

com1 wrote: »
    Luggage space in these mini SUVs tends to be very disappointing. I would say you would struggle with the load you are talking about. Though the split rear seats can give you more room if you are happy with luggage encroaching into the cabin (with Junior in the back beside it).

Yeah I'm familiar with the Captur, we had to take real wheels off the buggy to fit it in the boot which I was surprised about. That was when it really hit home that it's basically a Clio on stilts. From what I've read there may be a bit more room in the Arona so I'd definitely be scrutinising it on a test run.
    kerten wrote: »
    I would try to stretch to one class above small crossover models you mentioned (likes of Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq, etc) as those will be more future proof, family friendly and safer.

As would I. I was kind of half thinking about getting something like a CR-V for myself a while ago but my Mazda is worth feck all but with plenty of driving left in it so I decided it would just be a waste of money to part with it. Now back to the reason for the mini SUV interest. This one would be mainly driven by my wife, she is very concerned about being forced to drive anything she deems "too big" - which she says my car is. So basically I'm looking for the biggest small car I can get in effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

theteal wrote: »
    So basically I'm looking for the biggest small car I can get in effect.

That's easily answered...the Suzuki Ignis :D

Suzuki-Ignis-Hybrid-2016-29.jpg

The biannual trip will however involve one of the rear seats being folded down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, even upgrading to the crop of superminis from 5 years newer than the current car will give much more space and will be easier to load child into.

peasant wrote: »
    That's easily answered...the Suzuki Ignis :D

The biannual trip will however involve one of the rear seats being folded down

D'ya know what? I think I like that

The trips back to Dublin can be done in my car (free service and once over from the auld fella while I'm there) but for day to day, the Ignis could be bang on. Cheap and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Driving a Karoq this week, the boot is decent. They're better to drive than a Qashqai or Tucson I think too but they're a bit dearer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d consider a Mazda 5. Seats are high enough, boot is massive with the third row of seats folded down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

D'ya know what? I think I like that

Take one for a test drive so, you'll be positively surprised how big it is inside.
    On all but the lowest trim level the rear seats (only 2) can be moved forward by 165 mm and the seat back can be reclined/ put upright, which creates quite a lot of usable extra space

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107778825&postcount=27

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Take one for a test drive so, you'll be positively surprised how big it is inside.
    On all but the lowest trim level the rear seats (only 2) can be moved forward by 165 mm and the seat back can be reclined/ put upright, which creates quite a lot of usable extra space

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107778825&postcount=27

She said it's fugly, won't even consider it :rolleyes:
    Amazing how picky people can be when they're getting a car bought for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

She’s right ;) I’ve been trying to make the same decision myself. I’m between the Arona and the T-roc but I’ve changed my mind about a hundred times in the last 6 months. T-roc is a good bit more expensive but I dunno if the Arona is a bit small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bee06 wrote: »
    She’s right ;) I’ve been trying to make the same decision myself. I’m between the Arona and the T-roc but I’ve changed my mind about a hundred times in the last 6 months. T-roc is a good bit more expensive but I dunno if the Arona is a bit small.

Arona and t-roc are one same platform, right? Funny thing is that every time I see arona and t-roc in flesh, t-roc looks a lot bigger for some reason. Almost like it's built on golf platform and not Polo.

Op, I don't know how much in a rush you are, but Skoda will reveal their take of small SUV based on same platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to confuse things VW will launch the T-Cross later this year, that is smaller than the T-Roc and will rival the Arona.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just to confuse things VW will launch the T-Cross later this year, that is smaller than the T-Roc and will rival the Arona.

It's a busy segment, lots of mammies parents with back strain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Arona and t-roc are one same platform, right? Funny thing is that every time I see arona and t-roc in flesh, t-roc looks a lot bigger for some reason. Almost like it's built on golf platform and not Polo.

Op, I don't know how much in a rush you are, but Skoda will reveal their take of small SUV based on same platform.

I thought the T-roc was on the Golf platform and the T-cross they are launching was on the polo one. The T-roc is bigger than the Arona size wise. Midway between the Arona and the Ateca I think.

Not in any hurry tbh, not like her Yaris will ever break down :D
    I thought there already was a Skoda in that bracket, funny name beginning with K. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Any thoughts on the new Q3, X1/X2, XC40? Would Tiguan be in the same class as these, or are these a little smaller? Tiguan is very big money when you add Automatic, R-line and huge money if you want to go with AWD.

Drove a Tiguan and a Sportage at the weekend, Tiguan was much more refined. Going to try the others maybe this weekend to see what I think.

digiman wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the new Q3, X1/X2, XC40? Would Tiguan be in the same class as these, or are these a little smaller? Tiguan is very big money when you add Automatic, R-line and huge money if you want to go with AWD.

Drove a Tiguan and a Sportage at the weekend, Tiguan was much more refined. Going to try the others maybe this weekend to see what I think.

Tiguan and Sportage are a fair bit bigger. I'd be interested in them alright but waaaaay too big for herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Here's a thread I thought I'd never start.

Anyway, MrsTeal has decided she's sick of yer 05 Yaris (1.3, 85k miles) as "it's too low for getting the little 'un in the car seat, no aircon, no remote locking, yadda yadda" - i.e. it's not as nice/new as her friend's cars. Now it's a great car, only a few niggles with it that I've fixed e.g. swapped washer pump, swapped headlamps - failed MOT for corrosion etc. So right now, the car is tip-top but not worth very much, I paid £1400 for it about 16 months ago.

That brings us to what I've been looking into since yesterday - these mini crossover things that I don't really understand the reason for. So I've had a look into the Captur, Ecosport, Stonic, Kona, Karoq, CX-3, some Citroen, probably some more I've forgotten but I keep coming back to the SEAT Arona. Seems a little bigger/higher than most (especially with 17" wheels). The SE Tech version comes with decent kit and the price I've been offered for a 0% PCP is £15,570. Not seem the breakdown but from what I've seen around it's usually about 10% deposit and about £160-170pm for 4 years. Price seems good, is there a new model coming? 1-2 year used ones are not looking much cheaper. May give one a test at the weekend.

Now this would be for herself. My trusty old 07 Mazda 3 is just coming up on 60k miles but is as solid as ever so I'd be happy to carry on with that until it dies - I only do about 3k miles per year. I'd anticipate that any trips (possibly bi-annual) back to Ireland would be in this new car, are these types of car big enough for 3 people, a load of luggage and 2 cats in a big cage?

So has anyone any experience of these types of car?
    Any models I'm overlooking?
    Should I just tell her to keep the Yaris and possibly move myself into the spare bedroom?

The only advantage they have from what I can tell is a bit of extra height.
    After that, they are purely the product of marketing and focus groups, lifestyle vehicles that dont actually fit any lifestyle better than whats already out there.
    Might buy a large suv if forced, but never a small or medium one. Pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why not go for something with good parking aids and sensors. I'm used to drive bigger cars so I 'm not afraid of them but then I spent 9 years in Fiat Bravo. I replaced with Skoda Superb last year which is good bit bigger. I find parking and driving easier because of all the aids newer cars have. I don't think size would necessarily be an issue.

Personally I think mini suv's are more or less an inflated version of Clio and you would be just as well buying Ford Focus or a Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I've a story on that with my dad!
    I got a redundancy in 2015 and as he had no money to replace his Nissan Primastar van, and it being an accident waiting to happen, I said I'd buy him a car.
    Went to look at two one weekend, a Honda Jazz and a Nissan Note (I think), and told him I'd probably pick one. 'What colour are they?' he asks. Silver I replied.
    'Oh I dont like silver' he says. 'Well you've been driving an effing silver van the last 8 or more years' I lashed back. 'Oh I never really liked the colour' he responds. 'Took you long enough to come to that conclusion' I barked.
    Gratitude eh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »

Jaysus, is that now going to be 4 versions of SUV from VW, 3 versions from Skoda and 3 versions from Seat. Is it me or they going a bit bonkers now?!

I am not a fan of SUVs and crossover's, but if I would look in to any myself, it would be new Citroen c4 cactus or c5 aircross.
    I know we going a bit off topic, sorry op. It's just whole SUV thing really starting to get mad. Even ops wife sow some friend having one and now she needs one too...

'tis a marmite car alright :D

(I love it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Have the Arona myself. Have to say, I'm very pleased with it. It was an ex-journo show model so top spec. The large infotainment screen is great and really easy to use. Google Auto works seamlessly. The reversing camera, all round sensors, self parking, keyless entry- all really useful.

After living with a mini SUV I have to disagree with those that say they are pointless. The likes of the Ateca/Kodiak etc would be too big a machine for us. We had an Ibiza before and the Arona is everything that is good about that type of car but in a better package, if you value a higher seating position, easier accessable boot etc.

We could have had a Leon etc for similar money, but with a new baby in tow the Arona was much more practical. Used prices are still high as the car only launched late 2017 with many orders only fulfilling through 2018. For me the great advantage of Seat is you get a car based on the same platform as the VW group with a higher spec for less monies

Downsides- the boot isn't huge. You can drop down the boot floor for fitting a couple of large suitcases, but it's by no means expansive. There's no light in the rear cabin and the armrest is too low. That's about it.

All in all, I think it's a super car. Any specific questions, fire away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Try a Fiat 500X. Maybe she will like that. I think the Suzuki Swift that was out before he current one is a great little car and looks great although the newer one is a better car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

digiman wrote: »

by all accounts the XC40 is one thirsty beast but best looking SUV, new Q3 is very nice if you can get it in the spec you want without being fleeced, Car Wow on youtube did a comparison this week.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il7jLw7AVgs&ab_channel=carwow

Advertisement