Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two phones, same fault. Fit for purpose?

Options
  • 30-01-2019 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

I purchased a phone from Argos for my father on December 8th, however after less than a week of use, the screen became damaged. He said that he wasn’t sure how it had become damaged, as he didn’t use it a lot, other than taking it in and out of his pocket

I brought the phone to my local store, but was told that they were unable to do an exchange on the phone, because the cause was accidental damage. I was forced, therefore, to buy a second phone, and tell my father to look after it better. This was on December 22nd

Today his new phone has developed the exact same fault. The phone was working perfectly last night, and has only developed this fault in the meantime. The casing on the back of the phone is very thin, and I believe that the simple act of having the phone in his pocket, and placing the slightest amount of pressure on it while sitting down is the cause of this repeated damage

I was refused a refund on the first phone on the grounds that it was accidental damage, however, having seen the exact same problem on the second phone, I would contend that the phones are clearly not fit for purpose, and that I would be due a refund on both

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You broke a screen twice? Bent in the pocket is your dad's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

You broke a screen twice? Bent in the pocket is your dad's fault.

I forgot to specify that it's a flip phone, and even when closed, the plastic casing on the back of the screen is wafer-thin. How can damage done to the screen be his fault in this instance?

Pressure in the pocket when he sits down. What phone is it, Doro are tuff enough.

Looks like it should hold up, not been funny but are his pants to tight when he sits, would take a bit of pressure to burst.
    Doro would be a better brand but still that should last a bit under normal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

The one other factor the 2 phones have in common is your father.

If everyone who places that model phone in their pocket has the same problem it will be all over the internet. Is it? Can you demonstrate a design flaw?

I don't think many mobile phones are designed to be sat on. If that's a requirement perhaps you need to be getting a rugged style phone? or the armoured case?

I doubt the phone description says its to be sat on, so you will have to check and see if it makes a claim that you can demonstrate to a neutral observer that there is an inherent flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The phone is junk - the price point indicates that. Sitting on them isn't normal usage and junk isn't built to take anything beyond normal use.

Personally I'd write this off as a dead loss and buy a different phone, preferably one designed for harder use

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's putting it in his arse pocket isnt he? Its not a 3210, can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have a look at reviews from Argos UK to see if anyone else had similar experience.
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5656624

He's kept the phone in his side-pockets, not his back pocket, obviously he isn't stupid enough to sit directly on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Op I got that phone for my old man it's a very flimsy phone my dad broke it in a week replaced it with the same style Doro he's had it a year now
    And as good as the day he brought it

Did they accept the Alba one back as part-payment or did you have to pay full whack for the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Rubbish phone tbh.A doro would be much stronger.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Unfortunately OP, at that price point, the build quality isn't going to be that strong. Phones are fragile things, and screens are a pain in the hole. Your father doesn't need to sit on the phone to break the screen. Front pocket and walking or sitting down can cause pressure stress on the case and then break the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

No I didn't bother to be honest it was 25.99 at the time but I understand you being 60 down now maybe check Amazon to see if you can bring in a Doro cheaper
    Argos are usually very good at exchanging things has the phone not got a manufacturer warranty you could not chase up

antodeco wrote: »
    Unfortunately OP, at that price point, the build quality isn't going to be that strong. Phones are fragile things, and screens are a pain in the hole. Your father doesn't need to sit on the phone to break the screen. Front pocket and walking or sitting down can cause pressure stress on the case and then break the screen.

I mean if a mobile phone can't even stand up to the stresses of being in a pocket while walking, then IMO that qualifies as not being fit for purpose, no matter how cheap the phone is

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Considering your username would ya not just buy a Nokia? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Virtanen wrote: »
    I mean if a mobile phone can't even stand up to the stresses of being in a pocket while walking, then IMO that qualifies as not being fit for purpose, no matter how cheap the phone is

Was it suggested that the phone broke while the OPs father was walking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Price point is irrelevant, the phone needs to be fit for purpose so I would be looking for a full refund for both phones or off to the SCC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

slave1 wrote: »
    Price point is irrelevant, the phone needs to be fit for purpose so I would be looking for a full refund for both phones or off to the SCC

SCC fee is 25 euro, non claimable; and you nearly always need to turn up in person if disputed. You need to value your time very, very cheaply for it to be worth it below about 150 euro

I'm also of the opinion that these are fit for purpose, but are being used in a situation where a sturdier phone is required.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Totally up to OP, it's an option, I've used it three times and the companys gave full refund on all three occasions and I asked each time for my SCC fee and they gave it without question

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement