Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Capacity Micro SD?

Options
  • 30-01-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I see there's now 512GB micro SD cards out like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memory-MB-MC512GAEU-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07H1231S8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548848918&sr=8-5&keywords=512Gb+sdxc

(If anyone knows of any current bargains on similar please share:))

But anyway, I've heard a lot of mobile phone manufacturers state compatibility only up to 64gb and that with higher capacity cards, data loss is a possibility etc.

My phone states external TF cards up to 128gb, but I've seen on forums that one user has had a 256gb card, so I'm just wondering would a 512GB card work?

It won't be for high intensity usage, just mainly music and I'll have a backup of all the music anyway, so if some glitch happened where the card was wiped, as long as I can just repopulate it and it doesn't permanently damage the card, I'm happy to give it a try? Any feedback would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Says here that your phone supports 256GB externally so that is the maximum - http://gsmversus.com/blackview-bv9500-pro/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even with FLACs(Which is a total waste on a cheap DAC) why you'd need more than 250GB I really can't comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, it'd probably take 4.5 months or so to play through 256GB of music but still :D

Is there definitely no chance a 512 micro SD would work on it, or is there a chance it could? I could order with amazon and return if it doesn't work, maybe worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It will nearly certainly read it, it may just stop at 256 or "lose" files as they roll over the addressing space.

When the phones reader was designed there was no 512GB spec so it wasn't rated for it but doesn't mean it wont work, you often get away with it but I wouldnt risk it for say pictures where if its gone theres no 2nd copy.

Hmmm, might be worth a shot then... it would actually only need to read files from this card, I'd be filling it on the laptop, then putting it in the phone as external memory, the phone itself has 128gb which is more than enough for general stuff, my current phone is 32gb internal and has 10gb free after over a years usage. I sync and delete all photos to Google Photos so no issues there, all that the micro sd will store will be backed up in its original location too so there won't be any worry with losing anything forever :)

• Advertisement

Looks like it's working fine, I've about 350gb of it full and haven't run into any issues with it yet :)

Advertisement