Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting everyday from Naas to Blackrock

Options
  • 30-01-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I currently live in Naas. I am interviewing for a job at an office on Temple Road, Blackrock soon.

I am really keen on the job but I am also weighing up my commuting options.

Assuming I am offered the job, I do not want to be waking up in the middle of the night to be at work for 9 a.m with 3-4 changes on public transport.

I am not sure about car parking options around the office yet.

Assuming there isn't any affordable parking options near the office, could I drive part-way from Naas and do public transport for the rest of the journey?

All ideas, suggestions welcome.

P.S: Moving closer to Blackrock is not an option, for now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Train from Sallins to Grand Canal Dock and Dart to Blackrock.

Could be a long (time wise) drive from Naas to Blackrock if you need to be there for 9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ugh that's a rough commute op. Train is probably your only man. Or 126 to town and dart out. Neither are great options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Callixtine

com1 wrote: »

Could be a long (time wise) drive from Naas to Blackrock if you need to be there for 9am

Do you say that because of the traffic on the southbound M50? Or are there other factors too. The distance seems manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Callixtine wrote: »
    Do you say that because of the traffic on the southbound M50? Or are there other factors too. The distance seems manageable.

The n7 will break your heart. And the m50 north on the way back will definitely break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

There is no free parking within a 15 min walk of Temple Road, I've previously driven the Naas -Blackrock work commute. It's a pain in the hole crawling along the N7/M50. M50 south is slow from 7am, so unless you want to have a fast commute prior to that and sit around Blackrock until 9....

At the minute if I leave Blackrock at 4pm it generally takes almost 1 hour to get as far as Tallaght exit on the M50, and traffic is usually backed up from Red Cow to there every day. Leaving later than that it can be backed up as far as Sandyford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

As the others have said N7, M50 and, indeed, between the M50 and Blackrock can be an awful pain in any of the commuting times i.e. 07:00 - 19:30 (you may get a window from 15:00 - 15:30 but never on Fridays). Parking in Blackrock may also be an issue.

The train isn't too bad, probably less than 1.5 hrs depending on wait times for transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

7.27 from Sallins will have you in Blackrock at 8.37, assuming no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Callixtine wrote:
    Assuming I am offered the job, I do not want to be waking up in the middle of the night to be at work for 9 a.m with 3-4 changes on public transport.

Callixtine wrote:
    I am really keen on the job but I am also weighing up my commuting options.

What about car pooling.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi OP. I drive for a living, & live in Newbridge.

I cannot speak therefore about how full the trains can be. But, believe me, having to face the M50/N-M7 every evening is a test of patience. I would recommend using the trains/Dart. There is now a train which goes under the Phoenix Park, and rocks up in Connolly Station, where You can get the Dart to Blackrock from there. I don't know the times though, but believe me, having the rail option is far better than having to face the road journey every day.

Good luck with the Job interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Im commuting to Ranelagh each day from Naas. I drive to just post the m50 and cycle the rest of it. That skips the worst of the traffic (the grand canal) for me.
    Takes about an hour door to door leaving at 7.20

Could do something similar? BlackRock would be a good bit further of a spin tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What about car pooling.?

Surely that would only make matters more complex? He would have to find someone who lives and works in the same place as him and works the same hours.....

Im commuting to Ranelagh each day from Naas. I drive to just post the m50 and cycle the rest of it. That skips the worst of the traffic (the grand canal) for me.
    Takes about an hour door to door leaving at 7.20

Could do something similar? BlackRock would be a good bit further of a spin tho...

What do You do with the car just past the M50? Reason for me asking is that last week, I saw clampers outside the shops at Bluebell station clamping, Also seen them around Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

What do You do with the car just past the M50? Reason for me asking is that last week, I saw clampers outside the shops at Bluebell station clamping, Also seen them around Broombridge.

There's a few free roads around Bluebell/Crumlin/Drimnagh areas that i park on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

TBH, that is a hell of a commute.

Unless you can get a couple of WFH days per week or starting at 7 or 7:30 and finishing early, your life just wont be worth living. Unless it is a total dream job and it can be gotten elsewhere, then I would reconsider the whole venture.

Your best bet looks like the 07:27 Grand Canal Dock service and Dart to Blackrock which should get you to Blackrock at 08:47. Returning on the 17:56 to GCD and GCD to Sallins service, getting to Sallins at 19:11

There's a lot of scope for stuff to go wrong there. Its probably about a 13 hour day door to door

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I work in Blackrock at the moment. If you can hit the M50 southbound before 7:30, you'll be OK. After that, hit and miss. Even if the M50 is clear, the N11 is a disaster. Even just trying to get across it can take 20 minutes on a bad day.

Northbound is a different story altogether. Usually consistently heavy from around 4:30, but moving. Then it gets heavy from Tallaght. One day a week it becomes a sh1tshow, traffic queued all the way back to Dundrum or worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would get a motorbike in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

your heart will be broken in the long run from the commute

it all seems manageable with everything going to plan

imagine 2.5 hours in and 2. 5 hours home a few times a week due to incidents, believe me you'll end up wanting to slit your wrists.

Quality of life is the time spent not in work nor commuting to work

as someone said unless it's your dream job walk away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would get a motorbike in this scenario.

I commuted from Monasterevin to Dublin city for 4 years by motorbike. It's pretty grim at times.

I now take the train. Wish I did it sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I commuted from close to Junction 10 (M7) to Ballymount for over 25 years, from when there was traffic lights on the N7 from Naas to Newlands, through the various upgrades, widening from 2 to 3 lanes, the building of the Newlands bridge. Trust me, it never got any easier. And to be perfectly honest, I cannot see the extra lanes they are building now making any difference. I found myself getting up earlier and home later. Makes no sense having to get up at 6am to be in work for 9am.
    Getting from Newlands to Blackrock is probably an even worse journey.
    No life/work balance, and throw in the extra of fuel and car maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Would leaving a car at the Luas work and getting the Luas to Stillorgan and the 114 bus to Blackrock Dart work.

Not sure how frequent the 114 is though.

I dont think driving would work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

tretorn wrote: »
    Would leaving a car at the Luas work and getting the Luas to Stillorgan and the 114 bus to Blackrock Dart work.

car -> redline -> greenline -> bus would be far worse than just redline ->dart.

The only 2 real options are train from Sallins or N7/M50. Neither of which would be particularly attractive (to me).

OP, what did You end up doing? Or deciding to do? You asked for advice, people replied, would be nice to know what You decided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

OP, what did You end up doing? Or deciding to do? You asked for advice, people replied, would be nice to know what You decided on.

In fairness, they were only interviewing at some point soon. At best, they prob wouldn't be starting for a few weeks. May not know yet if they have the gig

Advertisement