Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike track built in forest where sign says no mountain biking.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

jvan wrote: »
    Prefered the other photo :D

Probably see 50% of those rules broken every time i go to the woods!

Yeah the littering one is something I see all the time... I once came home with someone's trash, and 2 spare tubes that I found just lying along the fire roads... I hate messy people, I go to the woods to get away from messy people!

haha yeah I put up a photo of the wrong sign! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

gnarbarian wrote: »
    I saw this at a certain EWS venue (not mentioning any place names!)

This and another two signs went up in a coillte forest I used to ride a bit near Cork. There were some trails, but by no means intrusive and with no major digging. Just natural drops and a few fallen trees built up. The signs went up and the gate was locked. It seemed to coincide with the aftermath of storm Ophelia that time. I was up there with another guy clearing the trails. We cut a few fallen trees and moved debris. Next thing there are claims of vandalism.... I wonder what drove it. There was always a good rapport between walkers and bikers. Always distinctly different routes and never any negative interactions (that I know of). I'm thinking to just carry on a ride away really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Its been a while since I've seen the sign but I passed a Coillte generic one in Ticknock last night...(no mountain biking, etc etc)
    Opposite the picnic table at the top of the tarmac path on the right hand side....
    I dont know the names of the segments.....

I think some of the ones around Ticknock and Kilmashogue are there more to keep the MTBers and walkers on separate paths to avoid accidents. There is a standard no MTBs, no horses, dogs must be kept on a lead sign at the entrances to many of the Coillte fire roads which I've never paid much heed* to. I also give a friendly hello to the many loose dogs and horse riders you regularly meet on most days who don't seem to take much heed of the signs either. In addition to leave no trace, if I'm out on any of these routes I keep my speed well down unless I've got excellent visibility ahead in the expectation that there could be people and/or animals around any corner.

(* doesn't say squat about CX bikes :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dubbrin wrote: »
    This and another two signs went up in a coillte forest I used to ride a bit near Cork. There were some trails, but by no means intrusive and with no major digging. Just natural drops and a few fallen trees built up. The signs went up and the gate was locked. It seemed to coincide with the aftermath of storm Ophelia that time. I was up there with another guy clearing the trails. We cut a few fallen trees and moved debris. Next thing there are claims of vandalism.... I wonder what drove it. There was always a good rapport between walkers and bikers. Always distinctly different routes and never any negative interactions (that I know of). I'm thinking to just carry on a ride away really

theres always some people who think their way is the only way. We have some local built trails down near Tralee, not a word of lie, someone was leaving picks on jump landings, wire across trails at neck height, and other such crap, disgraceful stuff altogether. And again most interactions I've had with walkers, horses etc has always been very mannerly and friendly on both sides.
    I put it down to "arseholes not wanting people having fun on what they perceive is theres"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think you have it right there - the "concerned forest users" in a lot of cases have a huge sense of ownership and mountain biking is a breach of the peace in their private walking utopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I would think the problem in your case wasn't walkers but perhaps you started cutting trees in a Coillte forest. The only people who cut tress are Coillte, and they probably just overlooked the trails until that happened. Worse again is chainsaws were used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is always one person behind it, never anymore than that who decided, even though nothing happened between them and the MTBer, that they shouldn't be there and they complained. Like most complaints to bodies like Coillte, if it costs little and doesn't expose them to any liability, they jump in and solve the non existent problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rizzodun wrote:
    I would think the problem in your case wasn't walkers but perhaps you started cutting trees in a Coillte forest. The only people who cut tress are Coillte, and they probably just overlooked the trails until that happened. Worse again is chainsaws were used.

For the love of God, don't be cutting trees down folks, this is someone else's business, if it's in the way, go around it, and no bloody chainsaws!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Build a jump over it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

In fairness, there were no trees cut down. Anything that could be shifted a few feet was, and anything that was cut was already laying on the ground and merely split to make way. Point taken re 'cutting' trees, however it was minimal and (as) orderly (as possible). Anything that was more than a quick job meant the trail moved around it, made for some interesting features around upturned root balls!!

We're all onto the same common denominator: it's Coilte land at the end of the day, I've no right to be on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

In fairness, there were no trees cut down. Anything that could be shifted a few feet was, and anything that was cut was already laying on the ground and merely split to make way. Point taken re 'cutting' trees, however it was minimal and (as) orderly (as possible). Anything that was more than a quick job meant the trail moved around it, made for some interesting features around upturned root balls!!

We're all onto the same common denominator: it's Coilte land at the end of the day, I've no right to be on it

I understand what you're saying, just mentioning that when any cutting is done, even on fallen trees, there's a good chance you'll see a response from Coillte.

Advertisement