Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing access to use shower

Options
  • 30-01-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

So I've just moved into the house in renting and noticed there was no shower curtain in the main bathroom.
    Contacted the ll via the management company to be told that they don't want us using that shower as it will damage the walls and the kitchen underneath!
    We should all just use the ensuite!

There was never any mention of this when viewing or signing the lease.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

No advice but holy moly some landlords are absolute assholes. I mean WTF????

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Use it. Landlords job to maintain the house. He's fully aware of it and won't fix it. No sympathy for him.

In all seriousness though. Ask the landlord to fix it. He's obliged to, as you can't be expected to use an ensuite as the main shower (privacy, conflicting schedules etc). If he won't contact PRTB I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Could you buy a shower curtain nd just use it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling so fixing a curtain rail will be noticeable, also the far wall is slanted so a simple end to end rail won't work.

Dunno why they don't just install a small glass door like the rest of the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

GreeBo wrote: »
    bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling so fixing a curtain rail will be noticeable, also the far wall is slanted so a simple end to end rail won't work.

Dunno why they don't just install a small glass door like the rest of the planet.

Get one of the extendable curtain rails, spring loaded with rubber ends. It won’t damage the tiles as no drilling, you can run shower rail on this.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Get one of the extendable curtain rails, spring loaded with rubber ends. It won’t damage the tiles as no drilling, you can run shower rail on this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/InterDesign-Medium-1-Piece-Curtain-Tension/dp/B006J23OF6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Use something like this...so need to fix the rail to the wall with screws and is easily removed when needed..this with a light shower curtain would cost under €30.. he should be fixing the issue though and I wouldn’t be happy using the other shower.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4595078/Trail/searchtext%3ESHOWER+RAIL+.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pipmae wrote:
    No advice but holy moly some landlords are absolute assholes. I mean WTF????

Some are. Totally agree. I see horrible landlords on a daily or weekly basis but they are still in the minority. There are some decent ones too
    Use it. Landlords job to maintain the house. He's fully aware of it and won't fix it. No sympathy for him.
    Bad advice imo. Landlord has stated what will happen if it's used. Do you not think he's the type to bill any damage to the tenant?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Some are. Totally agree. I see horrible landlords on a daily or weekly basis but they are still in the minority. There are some decent ones too

Bad advice imo. Landlord has stated what will happen if it's used. Do you not think he's the type to bill any damage to the tenant?

So just bend over and take it?

_Brian wrote: »

One wall has severe slope so that won't work either.

Tempted to buy one of those tri fold crappy ones and silicone it to the tiles

• Advertisement

Tennant is responsible for the damage they cause. Damage can run into thousands. Tennant will end up paying for any damage already done downstairs even though it was caused before they used the shower. You can see the type of landlord he is. He will make a profit on the deal in the end

File a complaint would be the correct way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Any pictures of the setup so we can advise?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    File a complaint would be the correct way forward

What sort of complaint, and who with?

Graham wrote:
    What sort of complaint, and who with?

To the landlord in writing. If repairs aren't made in a reasonable reasonable period of time after writing to the landlord tenant can give notice to leave.

Using the shower & causing damage is a bad idea imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

they don't want us using that shower as it will damage the walls and the kitchen underneath!

Maybe it leaks.. hence the warning about the kitchen underneath?

“Roll it back”

Nothing is broken, OP has been asked not to use the 2nd shower.

It sucks, and personally I'd agree it's pretty unreasonable. At the same time I'm pretty sure there are no statutory rights to a 2nd shower in a rental property.

The only basis for complaint maybe if the property was advertised as having 2 showers, in which case there may be an argument for false advertising. Even then I"m not sure who you'd complain to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Graham wrote: »
    Nothing is broken, OP has been asked not to use the 2nd shower.

It sucks, and personally I'd agree it's pretty unreasonable. At the same time I'm pretty sure there are no statutory rights to a 2nd shower in a rental property.

The only basis for complaint maybe if the property was advertised as having 2 showers, in which case there may be an argument for false advertising. Even then I"m not sure who you'd complain to.

Well the Bath or pipes or broken if it will cause damage to the kitchen. Complain to the Landlord and then to the PTRB is my advice. Probably an expensive fix as the Landlord hasn't fixed it.
    If you have any friends that are plumbers ask them to take a friendly look for you so you get a better idea.

turdball wrote: »
    Well the Bath or pipes or broken. Complain to the Landlord and then to the PTRB is my advice. Probably an expensive fix as the Landlord hasn't fixed it.
    If you have any friends that are plumbers ask them to take a friendly look for you so you get a better idea.

Or water dribbles down the side of the bath making it unsuitable for use with a shower.

I've absolutely no idea on what basis the RTB would get involved?

Or water dribbles down the side of the bath making it unsuitable for use with a shower.

I've absolutely no idea on what basis the RTB would get involved?

The OP was only told after moving in and presumed could use it.

Its like saying you can't use the kitchen sink and there's running water in the taps in the bathroom to do the washing up.
    Should be a communal Bathroom.

turdball wrote: »

I honestly can't see how that would fall anywhere near the remit of the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Wow, you really can say what you want an get away with it because you’re a mod.

turdball wrote:

OP can move out if landlord does not repair it.

Landlord cannot be forced to repair it. If it was the only shower that would be different because the building wouldn't meet minimum standards. If there is a 2nd shower landlord is covered.

Unless op has cheap rent I'd move out. The quality of the landlord isn't going to improve over time. To me this is a sign of things to come

I honestly can't see how that would fall anywhere near the remit of the RTB.

Well its worth a shot! If they get back saying nothing they can do fair enough.

The shower itself works and there are no plumbing issues, she basically just doesn't want us making a mess.
    We are allowed to use it to clean the bath, which is nice of her.

It's a short term let, 3 months btw

We also don't have a working dishwasher and the fancy heat pump dies every night (it literally just went again) which is not fun when it's -2 C outside.

All this can be yours too for 2800/month!

The shower itself works and there are no plumbing issues, she basically just doesn't want us making a mess.

We also don't have a working dishwasher and the fancy heat pump dies every night (it literally just went again) which is not fun when it's -2 C outside.

Work away then, f em

I don't think you'd come under the remit of the RTB or the residential tenancies act.

If I'm correct, that would also mean you don't have the obligations a tenant would normally have around notice periods, payment of rent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so its not a water supply or drainage issue, i bet the caulking between the bath and the wall / tiles has just eroded. could you upload a pic of the bath/shower setup, it might be a piss easy fix for under a 10er you could do yourself.

GreeBo wrote:

This is good news.
    GreeBo wrote:

Dishwasher isn't a necessity (in my home it is) and again it doesn't have to be repaired.

Heat pumps are good in new builds. Many older homes get them retrofitted and they can be a disaster even if they don't break down. They will struggle to heat the home without excellent insulation

I'm glad it's a short let. Hope you have better luck in your next place

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is it possible theres a timer on the heat pump ?
    are you paying your own bills no matter what amount they are ?
    is it a completely seperate property only you have access to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would push the management company on this

Advertisement