Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing access to use shower

Options

Comments

OP - count your blessings, you've only three months with this bad landlord.

Worth negotiating with the management company, aiming for a partial refund: be as politely irritating and doggedly determined as possible and specify about misleading advertising and contract. Both parties signed a contract for a 2 bath apartment, but you (due to misleading advertising and contract facilitated by management company/agents) you only received a 1 bath and are enduring both inconvenience, monetary loss and unanticipated lost time sorting the matter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Caulking etc around the bath is fine, she is worried that the slanted wall/roof at the end of the bath is gong to get wet, but it would be pretty difficult to get it wet since its a bath length away and it is NOT a power shower, pressure is pathetic in whole house.

It's a new build, approx 5 years old, but clearly designed by an idiot.

Main bathroom has no storage or mirror and no place to put one due to slanty wall.

No timer on heat pump, i think it just needs a service and the cold weather is to much for it at the moment. The LL keeps seconding how to use nest and ignoring the fact there is no bloody power.

Can't wait to get out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Use it. Landlords job to maintain the house. He's fully aware of it and won't fix it. No sympathy for him.

In all seriousness though. Ask the landlord to fix it. He's obliged to, as you can't be expected to use an ensuite as the main shower (privacy, conflicting schedules etc). If he won't contact PRTB I guess
    Maybe it’s not broken.
    Op is it a bath with a shower hose ? Is the wall fully tiled? Or half tiled

GreeBo wrote: »
    Caulking etc around the bath is fine, she is worried that the slanted wall/roof at the end of the bath is gong to get wet, but it would be pretty difficult to get it wet since its a bath length away and it is NOT a power shower, pressure is pathetic in whole house.

It's a new build, approx 5 years old, but clearly designed by an idiot.

Main bathroom has no storage or mirror and no place to put one due to slanty wall.

No timer on heat pump, i think it just needs a service and the cold weather is to much for it at the moment. The LL keeps seconding how to use nest and ignoring the fact there is no bloody power.

Can't wait to get out tbh.

Are heat pumps meant to have timers ? The response tine is very slow so they are meant to be just left on

turdball wrote: »
    Well the Bath or pipes or broken if it will cause damage to the kitchen. Complain to the Landlord and then to the PTRB is my advice. Probably an expensive fix as the Landlord hasn't fixed it.
    If you have any friends that are plumbers ask them to take a friendly look for you so you get a better idea.

It mightn’t be tiled fully as it want designed for showers so the water will get in to the wall

• Advertisement

Shower/bath area is tiled floor to ceiling with different tiles than the rest of the bathroom (which only come up to waist height) so to me at least, its clear its meant for a shower.

The shower arm fixed to the wall also leads me to believe this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP can move out if landlord does not repair it.

Landlord cannot be forced to repair it. If it was the only shower that would be different because the building wouldn't meet minimum standards. If there is a 2nd shower landlord is covered.

Unless op has cheap rent I'd move out. The quality of the landlord isn't going to improve over time. To me this is a sign of things to come

Moving out is giving in. Never a solution.

Are people sure that an en-suite satisfies the requirements, even in a one bed.

Forgot to take a photo this morning, but here are ones from other advertised houses.
    The first is from the same design as the one we are in, showing the slanted room.
    the second shows how the shower/bath area is specifically tiled

OGM1NWQ0YzJmNmE3ZmExYjUwMDkxM2JhMDFlZWU5NDQs-63EcEynobL6vstKinTmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMy81LzM1OWQyMzliYzcwYWUxNzExNWMxZTZlZjQ0OWZiZGRhLmpwZ3w3MDB8NTI1fHx8fHxodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRhZnQuaWUvaS93YXRlcm1hcmtfZGFmdC5wbmd8fHw=.jpg

NjM4NmUxOWQ1YjJmOGFiNDE5N2MzMmFmNzkwN2IzNDOrvieiKJEvELTevhbfsfgEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMC9lLzBlMjZiNzMyNWI2MGEyMzkwNGUwNDhiYzcwODZlY2M3LmpwZ3x8fHx8fDM0MHgyNTV8fHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Moving out is giving in. Never a solution.

Are people sure that an en-suite satisfies the requirements, even in a one bed.

Definitely

Minimum standards are just that minimum. I've thought for years that they should be improved so the likes of this joker wouldn't get away with this. Improving minimum standards wouldn't effect most landlords as they run a tight ship as is.

Definitely

Minimum standards are just that minimum. I've thought for years that they should be improved so the likes of this joker wouldn't get away with this. Improving minimum standards wouldn't effect most landlords as they run a tight ship as is.

Confirmed, minimum standards are 1 bath OR shower between 2 flats or between 4 individual bedsits.

Welcome to 2019 everybody.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

€2,800 a month. Jesus OP I feel for you, I really do. This is everything that's wrong with this country at the minute. You can mortgage a whole house for less but because of the price of rent you can't get anything for a mortgage.

You're lucky it's only a 3 month lease and I wish you all the best in your next place. Shocking stuff.

circadian wrote: »
    €2,800 a month. Jesus OP I feel for you, I really do. This is everything that's wrong with this country at the minute. You can mortgage a whole house for less but because of the price of rent you can't get anything for a mortgage.

You're lucky it's only a 3 month lease and I wish you all the best in your next place. Shocking stuff.

If it was just the two of us it would be bearable, but we have a 7month old so 14C in the middle of the night is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

If it was just the two of us it would be bearable, but we have a 7month old so 14C in the middle of the night is not good.

Yeah that's unacceptable. Until you're sorted I'd recommend a gro-bag for the child. We keep our home on the cool side and both our kids prefer it that way, the youngest still wears their gro-bag, they love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Unless it's in writing that you are forbidden to use the shower, then work away. Stick a towel down, be grand.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Unless it's in writing that you are forbidden to use the shower, then work away. Stick a towel down, be grand.

It would seem that it's ok to run water in the bath itself. The problem is it's leaking into the walls. This could be where wall meet the bath but if that were the case a blob of silicon would sort it for awhile. It seems in this case that its getting in through the tiling further up the wall. The grout is failing and itls like a sponge now. Putting a towel around the bath won't do anything.

Landlord told them not to use it. If they now use it they will pay for damage.

Not having a dig at anyone but with all the "use it anyway" comments I'm not surprised that so many complain on other threads when the landlord doesn't refund the deposit.

Landlord is being a dick, no arguments there but OP is in a bind here. They would be crazy to use the shower after being warned not to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shower/bath area is tiled floor to ceiling with different tiles than the rest of the bathroom (which only come up to waist height) so to me at least, its clear its meant for a shower.

The shower arm fixed to the wall also leads me to believe this!

The problem is that bad builders tile with the bath empty so when a person gets in and has a shower the bath separates from the tiling and water leaks.

The OP will loose their deposit if they "damage" the property by applying sealant and that's not even guaranteed to stop the leak if the grouting isn't done correctly. Sounds like a cowboy builder screwed a cowboy landlord.

Why is it necessary for 3 people, 1 not able to shower, to have 2 showers?

Del2005 wrote: »
    The problem is that bad builders tile with the bath empty so when a person gets in and has a shower the bath separates from the tiling and water leaks.

The OP will loose their deposit if they "damage" the property by applying sealant and that's not even guaranteed to stop the leak if the grouting isn't done correctly. Sounds like a cowboy builder screwed a cowboy landlord.

Yep always fill the bath before you seal it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Could you apply to the RTB arguing that the removal of advertised services after the contract started, would justify a return of some rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

was wondering that myself AND a bath to use too . Not necessary at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's not really the point.

I can understand why the OP is put out. If there's 2 showers in the property when it's viewed, it is quite reasonable to expect they can be used.

circadian wrote: »
    Yeah that's unacceptable. Until you're sorted I'd recommend a gro-bag for the child. We keep our home on the cool side and both our kids prefer it that way, the youngest still wears their gro-bag, they love it.

Yeah she is in one, problem is the temp goes from 20 to 14 so whats suitable at 20 isnt really suitable at 14.

Last night her hands were frozen when I went into her at 3. :(

It would seem that it's ok to run water in the bath itself. The problem is it's leaking into the walls. This could be where wall meet the bath but if that were the case a blob of silicon would sort it for awhile. It seems in this case that its getting in through the tiling further up the wall. The grout is failing and itls like a sponge now. Putting a towel around the bath won't do anything.

Landlord told them not to use it. If they now use it they will pay for damage.

Not having a dig at anyone but with all the "use it anyway" comments I'm not surprised that so many complain on other threads when the landlord doesn't refund the deposit.

Landlord is being a dick, no arguments there but OP is in a bind here. They would be crazy to use the shower after being warned not to

There is no evidence anywhere of any leaks, current or previous. No repairs to the ceiling below or the sloped wall.

Because 2 of those people need to leave the house at the same time in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 an_fathach

This is good news.

Dishwasher isn't a necessity (in my home it is) and again it doesn't have to be repaired.

Heat pumps are good in new builds. Many older homes get them retrofitted and they can be a disaster even if they don't break down. They will struggle to heat the home without excellent insulation
    They work in new homes that were are well built but many new homes aren't and plenty of BER assessors are chancers so dont trust an A rating.

GreeBo wrote:
    There is no evidence anywhere of any leaks, current or previous. No repairs to the ceiling below or the sloped wall.

There shouldn't be any evidence of repair if it's repaired correctly. Just because you can't see repair doesn't mean that it wasn't repaired

Personally I wouldn't pay for repairs if its obvious that it was repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yeah she is in one, problem is the temp goes from 20 to 14 so whats suitable at 20 isnt really suitable at 14.

Get one of those small plug in oil filled radiators in Woodies/Argos etc. The radiator in my daughters bedroom is too small for the room so it's always a bit chillier than downstairs so I leave one of these turned on low for the night.

16 is the recommended sleep temperature.
    Have you got her in a geo bag ?

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/perfect-sleep-environment/

If it’s going from 20 to 14 sounds like it could be programmed into a time clock some where

There shouldn't be any evidence of repair if it's repaired correctly. Just because you can't see repair doesn't mean that it wasn't repaired

Personally I wouldn't pay for repairs if its obvious that it was repaired

Unless you repaint the entire ceiling/wall you would see a repair.
    This LL isnt the sort of person to pay for that from what I can see!

• Advertisement

Get one of those small plug in oil filled radiators in Woodies/Argos etc. The radiator in my daughters bedroom is too small for the room so it's always a bit chillier than downstairs so I leave one of these turned on low for the night.

That would be great in the middle of the night, but when the heating is actually working it might make the room too hot for her.

Advertisement