Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing access to use shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ted1 wrote: »
    16 is the recommended sleep temperature.
    Have you got her in a geo bag ?

https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/perfect-sleep-environment/

If it’s going from 20 to 14 sounds like it could be programmed into a time clock some where

Its going from 20 to 14 because the heat system is dead, its nothing to do with a timer etc. All power is lost to all stats, heat link etc.

I reckon the heat pump is going into defrost mode, which switches the flow and effectively turns it into a AC unit.

There is a known issue with Nest and AC units where the nest system loses power.
    Also apparently lots of heat pumps will drop power on the wire thats used on the heat link when its in defrost mode.

LL has agreed to send someone out to take a look....finally.

16 is the recommended sleep temperature.

Not for infants:

From your link
    Young children and elderly people may require a slightly warmer environment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

GreeBo wrote: »
    That would be great in the middle of the night, but when the heating is actually working it might make the room too hot for her.
    So plug it in to a timer and only have it come on during the night.
    Or there are models available with a sensor to come on when the temp drops low enough.

Heating i sorted.
    LL had it setup to run from the panel under ALL-DAY mode, which, as the name would imply, will turn off when its outside of the run times, Nest is wired to take power from this panel rather than its own source.
    Switching to ON rather than ALL-DAY fixes the issue.

Now to sort the shower issue :(

Because 2 of those people need to leave the house at the same time in the morning.

...but wouldn't one of you have to stay with the child? (ETA: while the other is showering)

For the record, we're three adults in a house with one shower and never had any bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

...but wouldn't one of you have to stay with the child? (ETA: while the other is showering)

For the record, we're three adults in a house with one shower and never had any bother.
    It's besides the point. He rented a house with two showers, now being told he can't use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yep always fill the bath before you seal it

You may have just sorted out a long running issue for me. Thanks Ted1!

Why? The child would be fine in their cot or similar while both shower.

That being said I would agree that managing with one shower should be no issue at at all. I can’t stand showering in them bath showers anyway so that alone would make me not care if it can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Hi GreeBo.
    I'm glad to hear the heating has been sorted. You must have had a few very uncomfortable nights. Living in a cold house/apartment can be unbearable, especially with such a young child to worry about. I hope you're all happier in your new (temporary) home now.
    It sounds like your landlady arranged someone to come by quite quickly, no?

Regarding being asked/told not to use the shower in the main bathroom, I am amazed you would find this reason to complain if there is a working shower in the en suite.
    You say a shower rail and curtain have never been fitted, so this really can't be considered the same as the landlady not "fixing" a problem.
    Did you not view the property before you signed a lease and paid rent/deposit? It was at the viewing that you should have been questioning the status of the shower, not after you had moved in...

I am a renter rather than an owner (and I'll certainly never be a landlord!). A good shower is SO important to me that on viewings, I will always go to the bathroom and test it for temperature, pressure and noise. I have turned down properties if I don't find the shower to "my" liking.
    You can't move into an accommodation and demand upgrades.

You say you need 2 showers so you can both get ready in the morning. Of any homes I know with 2 showers, you can't even run them at the same time (as it is too much of a drain on heating and water supply)!

You have a bath in the main bathroom.
    You have a shower in the en suite.
    You do not have a legitimate problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Ki ki wrote: »
    Hi GreeBo.
    I'm glad to hear the heating has been sorted. You must have had a few very uncomfortable nights. Living in a cold house/apartment can be unbearable, especially with such a young child to worry about. I hope you're all happier in your new (temporary) home now.

Regarding being asked/told not to use the shower in the main bathroom, I am amazed you would find this reason to complain if there is a working shower in the en suite.
    You say a shower rail and curtain have never been fitted, so this really can't be considered the same as the landlady not "fixing" a problem.
    Did you not view the property before you signed a lease and paid rent/deposit? It was at the viewing that you should have been questioning the status of the shower, not after you had moved in...

I am a renter rather than an owner (and I'll certainly never be a landlord!). A good shower is SO important to me that on viewings, I will always go to the bathroom and test it for temperature, pressure and noise. I have turned down properties if I don't find the shower to "my" liking.

You say you need 2 showers so you can both get ready in the morning. Of any homes I know with 2 showers, you can't even run them at the same time (as it is too much of a drain on heating and water supply)!

thats total bs .

do you also check to make sure all the sockets are real and working and that the toilets are conected .
    its the same thing. landlord is esentially saying that the shower is for decorative purposes only.
    if there is a shower there then it should work .

• Advertisement

thats total bs .

do you also check to make sure all the sockets are real and working and that the toilets are conected .
    its the same thing. landlord is esentially saying that the shower is for decorative purposes only.
    if there is a shower there then it should work .

That's not bs one bit.
    When viewing, I check the amenities that are important to me (source of heating, cooking facilities, storage space, comfort of mattress and couches and as mentioned, and most important, shower).
    I don't go around plugging in a hairdryer (to check power to sockets) but I have flushed toilets!

The landlord is not "esentially saying that the shower is for decorative purposes only" . The landlord may never have even said anything about the bath/shower. But they did invite people to view their property and decide for themselves if they would like to rent it.
    Only GreeBo can tell us if it was advertised as having TWO showers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi GreeBo.

In fairness if I was paying €2,800 pcm for a rental that was advertised as eg "2 bed/2 bath", I'd want the full use of that second shower. That is what the OP is paying for.

That's not bs one bit.
    When viewing, I check the amenities that are important to me (source of heating, cooking facilities, storage space, comfort of mattress and couches and as mentioned, and most important, shower).
    I don't go around plugging in a hairdryer (to check power to sockets) but I have flushed toilets!

The landlord is not "esentially saying that the shower is for decorative purposes only" . The landlord may never have even said anything about the bath/shower. But they did invite people to view their property and decide for themselves if they would like to rent it.
    Only GreeBo can tell us if it was advertised as having TWO showers...

fair play to you for making sure you chose the right houe for you . nothing wrong with that.

most people would never dream of checking stuff like that , it would be assumed to be working as it should be.

the landlord is saying the shower is only for decorative purposes. they cant use it for anything worthwhile.
    how would you feel if your kitchen or sitting room had sockets that were not wired up and you had to plug stuff in in another room. same thing. a bathroom only has 2 main purposes , toilet facilities and washing facilities. OPs bathroom is failing at one of those dispite being designed to have those facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

A reasonably full bath could cause just as much damage as a shower if there's a child splashing in It?
    If you're allowed use the bath and the LL is not afraid of leaks from that, then how could she even prove if you were using the shower?

fair play to you for making sure you chose the right houe for you . nothing wrong with that.

most people would never dream of checking stuff like that , it would be assumed to be working as it should be.

the landlord is saying the shower is only for decorative purposes. they cant use it for anything worthwhile.
    how would you feel if your kitchen or sitting room had sockets that were not wired up and you had to plug stuff in in another room. same thing. a bathroom only has 2 main purposes , toilet facilities and washing facilities. OPs bathroom is failing at one of those dispite being designed to have those facilities.

If the landlord had advertised the property as having 2 showers then yes, both should be fit for intended use. We know however, that there are 2 "bathrooms", both of which have washing facilities.
    It's old fashioned I know but baths used to commonly be fitted with shower heads. Perfect for rinsing off after a soak! Although it may not be a practical way to freshen up each day, you can't claim a bath is not a washing facility.

If the landlord had advertised the property as having 2 showers then yes, both should be fit for intended use. We know however, that there are 2 "bathrooms", both of which have washing facilities.
    It's old fashioned I know but baths used to commonly be fitted with shower heads. Perfect for rinsing off after a soak! Although it may not be a practical way to freshen up each day, you can't claim a bath is not a washing facility.

i think they would have to explicitly state that the second shower is not working .
    any reasonable person would expect a shower to work.

nothing wrong with a bath but the OP has said that the wall and waterproofing above it is not working that to me would mean that you couldnt use the bath either .

i think they would have to explicitly state that the second shower is not working .
    any reasonable person would expect a shower to work.

nothing wrong with a bath but the OP has said that the wall and waterproofing above it is not working that to me would mean that you couldnt use the bath either .

If I saw a bath with a shower head but no curtain, I'd think it was to be used for rinsing. And I'm perfectly reasonable ;-)

The landlady has permitted them using the bath. From what I understand, she is worried about damage (to the sloping wall and kitchen below) from spray, rather than leaking.

In fairness if I was paying €2,800 pcm for a rental that was advertised as eg "2 bed/2 bath", I'd want the full use of that second shower. That is what the OP is paying for.

The rent is extremely high. I wouldn't pay it. But I understand there are those in the position that have to.

The OP has stated that he is on a short term lease. These are typically charged at a higher monthly rate than a standard 1 year rental. This is for the convenience of leaving the accommodation after only 3 months without the threat of breaking contract or the responsibility of finding another party to take over the lease. This is what the OP is paying for.

Even without the functional shower, the property is still 2 bed/2 bath.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    A reasonably full bath could cause just as much damage as a shower if there's a child splashing in It?
    If you're allowed use the bath and the LL is not afraid of leaks from that, then how could she even prove if you were using the shower?

Of course some wear and tear of the property could be expected. Regarding a child splashing in the bath, with supervision hopefully this would be very minimal and not enough to cause damage. And an adult should be able to bathe without creating too much of a mess.

As GreeBo has said his child is only 7 months old, I don't imagine they would have the infant in a "reasonably full bath".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

If I saw a bath with a shower head but no curtain, I'd think it was to be used for rinsing. And I'm perfectly reasonable ;-)

The landlady has permitted them using the bath. From what I understand, she is worried about damage (to the sloping wall and kitchen below) from spray, rather than leaking.

rinsing what? only time I've ever seen a shower for that is when you are near a beach, and the shower is outside. rinsing/showering the body are pretty much the same thing anyway.

I'm going to throw out this mad theory that if I viewed an apt with a shower that had no curtain, and it was a new enough build, I would assume that it was just a new shower that needed a curtain, to be purchased by either the landlord or tenant.

ie: either the last tenant had bought curtain and took it with them when moving out, or it was dirty so the landlord had removed it and was going to be replacing it.

i certainly would expect the shower in the main bathroom in my bloody flat i was paying 2800 for to work,l! why are people even questioning this? so what if there's another one, there's 2 adults there. idc if there's five showers, three ovens and six TV's for one tenant, the stuff is all supposed to work if it is part of the house when you view it unless the landlord says otherwise.

If you agree to rent a 1 BR flat with a couch and then move in to find a single chair, would you not be like WTF or would you say, ah sure I don't need a couch it's only me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I would simply tell the LL to either sort it or
    lower the rent. if it's not done ASAP, I go online and open a PRTB dispute right away.

Let the LL then explain to them how they told me I wasnt allowed to use the shower in the flat I was playing 2800 a month for and that using it therefore made me liable for any damage.

That will never fly in a dispute hearing. Things like beds, showers, ovens, are kinda necessary and you can't rent to people without giving them use of those items. It is most definitely under their remit, people saying it isn't, probably haven't been in disputes.

If OP uses the shower, it will cause damage and he will be held liable when he should be able to use it. His deposit is at risk if he takes a shower, basically. that's insane.. the property was falsely advertised as having 2 showers and charged accordingly.

a judgement against the LL to reimburse the tenant for being overcharged rent based on amenities that were advertised and not provided is entirely plausible.

rinsing what? only time I've ever seen a shower for that is when you are near a beach, and the shower is outside. rinsing/showering the body are pretty much the same thing anyway.

For rinsing hair and body after bathing. It's considered hygienic after soaking in your bath water.
    I'm going to throw out this mad theory that if I viewed an apt with a shower that had no curtain, and it was a new enough build, I would assume that it was just a new shower that needed a curtain, to be purchased by either the landlord or tenant.

ie: either the last tenant had bought curtain and took it with them when moving out, or it was dirty so the landlord had removed it and was going to be replacing it.

There was not even a rail nor evidence that there ever had been.
    I certainly would expect the shower in the main bathroom in my bloody flat i was paying 2800 for to work,l! why are people even questioning this? so what if there's another one, there's 2 adults there. idc if there's five showers, three ovens and six TV's for one tenant, the stuff is all supposed to work if it is part of the house when you view it unless the landlord says otherwise.

But the house IS as it was when he viewed it!
    If you agree to rent a 1 BR flat with a couch and then move in to find a single chair, would you not be like WTF or would you say, ah sure I don't need a couch it's only me.

This is different to your example of agreeing to a flat with a couch then moving in to find only a chair. The landlord has not removed anything following the lease being signed.
    The house has two bathrooms. One has a shower, the other a bath (with shower head).

Maybe GreeBo can tell us if it was advertised as having TWO showers. If so, I am wrong, the landlord should fit a curtain or panel so that the main bathroom can be used for showering.

If you want to get that pedantic about it, its advertised as having 2 bathrooms.
    But only one room has a bath in it, so I guess I can get onto the landlord to get a bath installed into some other room then? :rolleyes:

There is a shower attachment on the bath, there is a shower arm on the wall and the landlord replaced the shower head as it was broken when we viewed it.

For rinsing hair and body after bathing. It's considered hygienic after soaking in your bath water.

There was not even a rail nor evidence that there ever had been.

But the house IS as it was when he viewed it!

This is different to your example of agreeing to a flat with a couch then moving in to find only a chair. The landlord has not removed anything following the lease being signed.
    The house has two bathrooms. One has a shower, the other a bath (with shower head).

Maybe GreeBo can tell us if it was advertised as having TWO showers. If so, I am wrong, the landlord should fit a curtain or panel so that the main bathroom can be used for showering.

You are being bizarre here.
    The advert didnt list that it had a floor in every room, but I saw that it did hav a floor in every room. This is equivalent to the LL now telling me that I cant walk on the floor in Bedroom 2 as it might break, but its ok because I have 2 other bedroom I can use.

Shelli2 wrote: »

Which is going to be exactly my argument if it comes up!

Water goes everywhere when she is in the bath and we have her in a baby bath inside the bath!

Hi GreeBo.
    Well no, we have been paying rent on the property for 2 weeks now and the LL was insistent that there was no heating problem and that it was "just how the Nest system works".
    We did view it and told the agency/LL that it needed a new shower head in the main bathroom and a curtain fitted. The head was replaced but no curtain. It was only when we brought up the curtain for the third time (after living there 3-4 days but paying rent for nearly 2 weeks) that we were told we couldnt use it.
    I am the same. I did check the shower pressure and found it bad, but its not easy to find a short term, unfurnished let in Dublin at the moment so we said we would suck it up for the 3 months.
    Being allowed to use an installed shower is no more an upgrade than being allowed use the tap it the kitchen sink!
    This is a modern house (< 5 years old) with a large hot water cylinder and copious amounts of hot water due to the heat pump.

There is a tap in the garden, perhaps I should just use that and count myself lucky that its only costing me the guts of THREE GRAND a month.

No, she is happy to sit on the floor and play if she is awake, if not awake then she just sleeps in her cot...not that I think that should be any concern/excuse of the landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am the same. I did check the shower pressure and found it bad
    Check if it has a water saver in it. Found them to be popular in Toronto; once removed, you have good pressure. Did it for the shower in my apartment, my neighbours apartment, and 2 or 3 other apartments. Also called a water restrictor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Surely a corner shower curtain rail would sort the problem of splashes or soaking walls ?
    There's loads of different types available. A shower curtain doesn't have to run the full length of the bath.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/cooke-and-lewis-u-shaped-shower-curtain-rail-aluminium-chrome-2430mm.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9no8oqb4AIVipXtCh1jrgMvEAQYBSABEgKNL_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/253815840976

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Check if it has a water saver in it. Found them to be popular in Toronto; once removed, you have good pressure. Did it for the shower in my apartment, my neighbours apartment, and 2 or 3 other apartments. Also called a water restrictor.

Yeah nothing in there, very narrow bore hose too, designed for pressurised system

Advertisement