Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing access to use shower

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Surely a corner shower curtain rail would sort the problem of splashes or soaking walls ?
    There's loads of different types available. A shower curtain doesn't have to run the full length of the bath.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/cooke-and-lewis-u-shaped-shower-curtain-rail-aluminium-chrome-2430mm.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9no8oqb4AIVipXtCh1jrgMvEAQYBSABEgKNL_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/253815840976

It's tiled floor to ceiling so i can't install anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's tiled floor to ceiling so i can't install anything like that

Not you, as you're only staying for three months, but the landlord should be doing it. It's a simple solution that stops the landlord worrying about whether or not someone is using the shower whilst at the same time allows you to use the facilities that you're paying so much for.

Tiles wouldn't make a difference, anything can be installed on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Hi GreeBo.
    Thanks for your responses.
    I will admit, I have been called pedantic before. "being bizarre" is a new one for me. Mostly, I'd like to think myself pretty rational and fair :-)

Am I correct in understanding, you have been paying rent for 2 weeks but moved in 3/4 days ago (probably 5 by this stage?).
    According to a recent post, you had reported the broken shower head and missing shower rail to the EA on viewing the property. So there was a conversation specifically about this but at the time (over 2 weeks ago) you were not told the shower was not for use??
    Following the viewing, you were then aware the shower head was replaced but no curtain fitted?? You later moved in and requested the curtain (for a third time) and at that stage, for the first time, you were told that you could not use the shower??
    If that is the case, you are right (I am wrong), you were led to believe a curtain would be provided and the landlord should now be making the shower fit for use.

... According to your original post, you viewed and rented a house, moved in, noticed the bath/shower had no curtain or rail, requested them, they were denied, as was use of the shower.
    If THAT is the case, then I don't believe the landlord should have to provide an item of inventory that was neither present nor promised when you agreed to move in.

I'm not completely unsympathetic BTW. I don't believe you don't deserve a second shower in the house. At the rent you are paying, the accommodation should be of the highest standard.
    However, if you signed a lease based on what you viewed and THEN requested a curtain (as per your OP), the landlord would not be obliged to supply.

If pursued politely, she may be willing to reconsider (might be a good time to ask now, she could be mortified about the mistake she made with the heating system and more likely to offer a gesture of goodwill)...
    The apartment I'm currently renting has a bath/shower. The curtain rail is suspended from the ceiling by twine on hooks screwed into the plaster above.
    If the landlord was happy to have similar installed, the screws (x3) and rails (x2 (one length ways to prevent wetting the floor, one width ways to protect the wall)) could be removed when you vacate the house and the tiny holes refilled.
    Or she could keep the shower curtains and rails for the next tenants ;-)

Not you, as you're only staying for three months, but the landlord should be doing it. It's a simple solution that stops the landlord worrying about whether or not someone is using the shower whilst at the same time allows you to use the facilities that you're paying so much for.

Tiles wouldn't make a difference, anything can be installed on top of them.

LL has no intention of doing anything according to the management co.

My point on the tiles was not that it couldn't be done but that i can't do it as it can't be undone.

Ki ki wrote: »
    Hi GreeBo.
    Thanks for your responses.
    I will admit, I have been called pedantic before. "being bizarre" is a new one for me. Mostly, I'd like to think myself pretty rational and fair :-)

Am I correct in understanding, you have been paying rent for 2 weeks but moved in 3/4 days ago (probably 5 by this stage?).
    According to a recent post, you had reported the broken shower head and missing shower rail to the EA on viewing the property. So there was a conversation specifically about this but at the time (over 2 weeks ago) you were not told the shower was not for use??
    Following the viewing, you were then aware the shower head was replaced but no curtain fitted?? You later moved in and requested the curtain (for a third time) and at that stage, for the first time, you were told that you could not use the shower??
    If that is the case, you are right (I am wrong), you were led to believe a curtain would be provided and the landlord should now be making the shower fit for use.

... According to your original post, you viewed and rented a house, moved in, noticed the bath/shower had no curtain or rail, requested them, they were denied, as was use of the shower.
    If THAT is the case, then I don't believe the landlord should have to provide an item of inventory that was neither present nor promised when you agreed to move in.

I'm not completely unsympathetic BTW. I don't believe you don't deserve a second shower in the house. At the rent you are paying, the accommodation should be of the highest standard.
    However, if you signed a lease based on what you viewed and THEN requested a curtain (as per your OP), the landlord would not be obliged to supply.

If pursued politely, she may be willing to reconsider (might be a good time to ask now, she could be mortified about the mistake she made with the heating system and more likely to offer a gesture of goodwill)...
    The apartment I'm currently renting has a bath/shower. The curtain rail is suspended from the ceiling by twine on hooks screwed into the plaster above.
    If the landlord was happy to have similar installed, the screws (x3) and rails (x2 (one length ways to prevent wetting the floor, one width ways to protect the wall)) could be removed when you vacate the house and the tiny holes refilled.
    Or she could keep the shower curtains and rails for the next tenants ;-)

Your first paragraph is correct.
    We discovered when we moved in that the LL still hadn't installed a curtain, they had just instated a new shower head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Ha, ha, so why didn't you say that in the first place, rather than
    So I've just moved into the house in renting and noticed there was no shower curtain in the main bathroom.
    Contacted the ll via the management company to be told that they don't want us using that shower as it will damage the walls and the kitchen underneath!
    We should all just use the ensuite!

You have my every sympathy so!
    If you had a verbal agreement with the agent and landlord, from the time of viewing, that a curtain would be fitted, then darn tooting it should be supplied.
    It's unacceptable that they then reneged on this. It is particularly bad form that you had to follow up on it twice before they then finally advised it could not be used.

If the agreement to fit a shower curtain was made with the agent, you'll need to put pressure on them. If they promised one without first getting permission and authority from the owner, I would think it is their responsibility to either resolve the issue or reduce the rent.

I left out the word "still", my apologies.

There was no agreement per say but there was no disagreement either.
    We asked the agency each time and they said they'd ask the LL again.

At no point prior to moving in were we told it wasn't going to happen as they didn't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Crazy OP. I read the title of the thread and the first few posts....this country is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

thats total bs .

do you also check to make sure all the sockets are real and working and that the toilets are conected .
    its the same thing. landlord is esentially saying that the shower is for decorative purposes only.
    if there is a shower there then it should work .

Yes, I would. I've been living in cork long enough that friends / friends of friends moving here ask me to look at accommodation for them as I'd been renting 14 years.

I trust nothing said by the person renting out a house. You're literally going to be paying out a thousand or more a month on this place, how does it make sense to you NOT to check everything out?

Flush all toilets, run all taps, ask to be shown how to turn boiler on and then check all the radiators for warmth. Turn on any electric or pumped showers and listen for bad noises and check for hot water.

Check all doors and windows work, ask if all the keys will be provided, how many copies of each.

Open all presses and wardrobes to see if any are broken,

Turn on the oven, cooker and microwave, check the fridge and freezer is cooling.

Turn on every light and (if you remember to bring a small light with you ) plug into and check sockets

For a three bed semi that's fifteen to twenty minutes work.

Take LOTS of photos and make sure the landlord or estate agent sees you doing this. Email any damage to them, then you have proof of previous damage in any dispute.

In my brothers case Rose properties tried withholding his deposit, he simply reminded them he was the one who did all the above and took photos as the start of the tenancy - some of those photos showed the damage he supposedly caused. He got all his deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Yes, I would. I've been living in cork long enough that friends / friends of friends moving here ask me to look at accommodation for them as I'd been renting 14 years.

I trust nothing said by the person renting out a house. You're literally going to be paying out a thousand or more a month on this place, how does it make sense to you NOT to check everything out?

Flush all toilets, run all taps, ask to be shown how to turn boiler on and then check all the radiators for warmth. Turn on any electric or pumped showers and listen for bad noises and check for hot water.

Check all doors and windows work, ask if all the keys will be provided, how many copies of each.

Turn on the oven, cooker and microwave, check the fridge and freezer is cooling.

Turn on every light and (if you remember to bring a small light with you ) plug into and check sockets

Take LOTS of photos and make sure the landlord or estate agent sees you doing this. Email any damage to them, then you have proof of previous damage in any dispute.

In my brothers case Rose properties tried withholding his deposit, he simply reminded them he was the one who did all the above and took photos as the start of the tenancy - some of those photos showed the damage he supposedly caused. He got all his deposit back.

im not saying you shouldnt do that . im saying that most wouldnt do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

im not saying you shouldnt do that . im saying that most wouldnt do it.
    Also, landlords are not going to rent to you if you are seen to be too meticulous in the viewing, they'll think you're a "difficult tenant".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Also, landlords are not going to rent to you if you are seen to be too meticulous in the viewing, they'll think you're a "difficult tenant".

Funny, 14yrs of renting in cork, probably 22+ between my brother and I and we always inspect the places and we got the houses we wanted. I'm sure some landlords didn't like it but they were in houses that we didn't want so it didn't bother us; the decent landlords don't care. One passed a comment at the viewing that he hoped we take as good care when we were in the house. At the end he said he was sorry to see us go as we would fix small jobs ourselves and not ask him to come out. Loose door handles or wonky light fittings, nothing major but once they knew we weren't going to a) trash the place and b) take care of the running repairs they were happy with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

One wall has severe slope so that won't work either.

Tempted to buy one of those tri fold crappy ones and silicone it to the tiles

Get a piece of wood to stop it sliding with the slope, it will work, the pressure against it will keep it held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would much prefer a tenant has a thorough look over and accepts the place rather than a tenant who phones every day for 2 weeks with new questions after moving in.

Advertisement