Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route one WiFi traffic to another wifi

Options
  • 30-01-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi I've a router connected to internet . I've a laptop that will not connect to this WiFi.

But it will connect to a second WiFi router's network that I have spear.

So can I set up the second WiFi to route all traffic to router 1 to gain access to internet wirelessly. Would this be very slow?

I've for now set up router 2 as a repeater and plug my laptop into it

Any guides how to do this would be great..any Google's I do brings me to repeater/bridge modes. But I want to connect to router 2 specifically who in turn most communicate with router 1 for internet Access . all wirelessly

Actually as I type this if I connect router 2 to router 1 with ethernet cable will anything on router 2 network find the internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You're creating a problem to fix a problem. Why not try to diagnose the original issue? What channel is the wireless router on? In Europe we use 13 channels but in the US they only use 11 so if your device is set to US standards in Europe you will not be able to connect. First thing to do is change channel on it, login and take it off auto and set one manually. Get a wireless analyser app for your phone to see what channels are in use nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

You're creating a problem to fix a problem. Why not try to diagnose the original issue? What channel is the wireless router on? In Europe we use 13 channels but in the US they only use 11 so if your device is set to US standards in Europe you will not be able to connect. First thing to do is change channel on it, login and take it off auto and set one manually. Get a wireless analyser app for your phone to see what channels are in use nearby

Hi thanks for your reply. I tried various channels already - 1,3,6,11,13 of which 6 is set at the moment and always was 6 (even when in auto)

I didn't try a WiFi analyser. Laptop connected to my phone when I tether..and other devices connects to my actual WiFi in house. I really think it's down to 2 random devices have met each other that shouldn't have . only way laptop connects is of I specify standard 802.11b only.

I'd like to try way I suggest as I've tried all sorts of WiFi and router settings with the original WiFi network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Tell me more about the issue. Does your laptop see the wireless network at all or sees it and fails to connect?
    About the laptop, what OS? Have you deleted the wireless network from the list of known networks so it would be connecting to a completely new network? Have you updated your wireless drivers and is your OS up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

How old is this laptop?..

Advertisement