Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave on maternity cover

Options
  • 31-01-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if a substitute teacher would be penalized for taking too much sick leave while covering a maternity? Would the school look badly on four days of sick leave in the year?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

redhead16 wrote:
    I was just wondering if a substitute teacher would be penalized for taking too much sick leave while covering a maternity? Would the school look badly on four days of sick leave in the year?

Four days is not very much at all. If it's 4 consecutive days then it would have to be certified anyway in which case they can't dispute it as you shouldn't be present at work if certified sick.

When you say penalised, do you mean they might not offer you more work? If they'd be that petty over 4 days sick leave then they're not really a very understanding workplace and you'd be better off finding somewhere else.

I work in a school where at least one member of staff is off sick at least one day per week. Over 30 staff but it is incredible. It's the principal's job to sort out cover, and you can't be expected to be invincible just because you're a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redhead16

Hi Cash_Q

Thank you for the advice, I was a bit worried as I haven't taken much sick leave before and it's the first time in a school I really want to stay in but it's a tricky topic to ask advice one. Thank you for the reassurance !

Advertisement