Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB making it harder to dodge quarterly fees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just €3 in it but I couldn't believe how petty they were, needed to escalate it out of the branch re the fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

ahbell wrote:
    Pretty much the exact same experience I had, wasn't the Baggot Street branch by any chance was it?

That's the branch indeed, she wouldn't print or send me a closing statement, she just claimed that it wasn't possible.

I called Open24 in the evening and they confirmed that I was misinformed and they opened a claim for me....I couldn't care less about their claim I just want my closing statement and forget about PTSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

alwald wrote: »
    That's the branch indeed, she wouldn't print or send me a closing statement, she just claimed that it wasn't possible.

I called Open24 in the evening and they confirmed that I was misinformed and they opened a claim for me....I couldn't care less about their claim I just want my closing statement and forget about PTSB.

I know it doesn’t fix their previous mistakes, but FYI when I closed the account I had booked and appointment at the Grafton Street branch and they did it with no problem (the branch manager signed-off to remove the infamous 18 euros charge no question asked). To book the appointment you can fill a form on their website with your preferred day and they call you back the next day to confirm your exact slot, so pretty easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is this just a ploy to force people into the explore account?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is this just a ploy to force people into the explore account?

It's a ploy to make sure that all business is profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Would anyone know off hand, if i were to switch to an explore account, would my current overdraft facility transfer with it or would i have to reapply?

It will transfer. I have one on my old account as well and the whole thing was effectively just renamed Explore account with the different fee structure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tried to charge 18e...

Staff: "Why are ya closing..."

Me: "Because of the fees..."

Lots of typing as they wondered how to word the attempted money grab...

Staff: "You'll have to lodge 18 to cover the fees" [pointing at screen]

(In my head: Laughing, Good luck with that)

Me: "Fees don't apply until next quarter"

Staff: "I'll check with manager"

Manager was busy, anyway all accounts are empty so they'll be getting zilch.

Some chancers, obviously have no fear of a "regulator", tail wagging the dog. Zero risk for the bank as it's time consuming for customers to lodge a complaint etc. They have obviously had to cancel the fee for anyone with a zero balance and when those who used the switching process find out, they may just not bother.

If you're still planning to close the account, make sure it's empty beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

How long does it take EBS to close account with PTSB and switch all DD? I already got my online account opened(waiting for PAC) and pin for new card(but not the card itself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got a call back and they waived the fee, forgot I wanted them to lodge the €3 balance off the loan so they got something :pac: . That BS of signing 40 pieces of paper to confirm removal of every payee ever setup I assume wasn't needed or did you all got through that as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I emptied mine to zero and sent the switcher form into KBC twice and each time PTSB returned the form back to KBC with "unable to close account because of insufficient balance" I told KBC forget them as I had moved all payees, standing orders and direct debits myself since February. PTSB not getting a penny from me and I told KBC resubmit the switcher form one last time with a note saying I wont pay any fees, close it or leave it open, I don't care as I wont be using it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

IMO it's best to go in to PTSB branch and close the account and not rely on the new bank to do it.

The multiple sheet signing is just plain awkward on their part. One sheet would suffice for all associated DD, SO, Visa card etc.

The way around it is by deleting the DDs, SOs and payees within Open 24 before going in to the branch. One DD that I deleted from a few years ago didn't require a signature as it was gone from their system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone moved to the explore account rather than leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

Yes I've moved to explore. Just a name change, and earned 3.80 cash back, so that will cover maintenance fee ...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Gael23 wrote:

Yes, about a fortnight ago, just couldn't be bothered moving lock stock etc

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

I've had the explore account for a while now. Over a year and maybe less than 2yrs.

I get 10c cash back over 3euro each time I pay with my card..its been a while so I dn't know the specifics. I also pay skybill out of my account and I get cash back from that as well.

However I have 3k that goes in, so I dont know how much this affect the account in terms of how it excludes/reduces fees.

Overall whilst PTSB charge me 4e permonth, through cashback and all I get 8/9e coming in and the net is +4e per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

ebayissues wrote: »
    I've had the explore account for a while now. Over a year and maybe less than 2yrs.

I get 10c cash back over 3euro each time I pay with my card..its been a while so I dn't know the specifics. I also pay skybill out of my account and I get cash back from that as well.

However I have 3k that goes in, so I dont know how much this affect the account in terms of how it excludes/reduces fees.

Overall whilst PTSB charge me 4e permonth, through cashback and all I get 8/9e coming in and the net is +4e per month.

Does it take long to change and can it be done on the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gael23 wrote: »

Yes. Done in10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

Yes. Done in10 minutes.

You can do it on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No I think you have to go into the branch as you have to sign some forms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Icsics wrote: »
    I rang TSB to find out the exact date for the new fees, it was 1st April. I had plenty time to set up the KBC account & made sure to deposit €1500 to TSB to cover the free fees March. I then emptied the TSB accounts, wrote requesting the accounts closed, attached a certified ID & recent bill.

What address did you send the letter to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Is getting appoint from branch necessary to change account type from current to Explore for PTSB? Their appointment form is basically just a call back request form, not possible to choose which branch and what time I want to visit their branch.

Is ID good enough to make account change type or any other documents needed?

baldbear wrote: »
    You can do it on the phone?

Where did I say that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Is getting appoint from branch necessary to change account type from current to Explore for PTSB? Their appointment form is basically just a call back request form, not possible to choose which branch and what time I want to visit their branch.

I just changed my account today. Went into the branch with no appointment. I had ID and also brought a page of a recent statement with the account number. Took less than ten minutes.

I just walked in. Had passports as Id.
    If it's a joint account,2of you have to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Sorry for another question, should I go to the branch that I opened my account or is any branch okay? To change account type I mean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry for another question, should I go to the branch that I opened my account or is any branch okay? To change account type I mean.

Any will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any branch will do. My local branch doesn't open on a Saturday so I made an appointment for a neighbouring county. Just make sure ye have all the documentation required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I closed my PTSB accounts yesterday in-branch. No problems at all and no attempt at extracting any fee for closing.

They had gotten €20 from me recently thanks to the stupidty/incompetence of Three & AES for presenting direct debits even though I had supplied new details. As I had no money in the accounts I was hit with €10 fee each time. I then deleted all my direct debits online so this wouldn't happen again before the account was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any branch will do. My local branch doesn't open on a Saturday so I made an appointment for a neighbouring county. Just make sure ye have all the documentation required.

Apologies as I am sure this has been answered but the thread is huge! I'm going to go in and change my account tomorrow, do you have to change your direct debits and pay roll etc. or is it the same account number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Same account number and all payments unchanged.

Advertisement