Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB making it harder to dodge quarterly fees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They don't really care whether you stay or go, it's just a numbers game. They'll be able to estimate how many will stay and how many will go even just from the recent removal of free banking in Q1.

People leaving might also take their savings with them though (and PTSB needs deposits), and they are less likely to bring mortgage/investment/insurance business in the future (i.e. current accounts are never going to be a huge source for profit but are a good way to maintain a relationship with customers in order to sell them other products).

They must have looked as the figures as you mentioned and decided it made sense, but I have to say I am skeptical as I doubt it will be a great money maker from them and it will be a large loss of business oportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I moved from UB to a PTSB evolve account in March, when I first heard of UB's new transaction fees. I chose PTSB over KBC as I need to be able to lodge cash.

So far, I am happy enough with PTSB. My rewards at the end of the month have covered the €4 flat fee. If I had any complaints, its that they are a bit slower to process things, but I can live with that. I just pay things a day earlier. I just yesterday got the letter to say their flat fee was increasing to €6 a month, which I can also live with considering my first fee notification from UB for just one month was almost €20 (and I only used it while switching stuff over to PTSB).

If UB had opted to increase their flat rate €4 fee to €6 or even slightly higher, I would have stayed. But it was the per transaction fee, and particularly the fees on transactions done via app, that pushed me to leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That is so funny that people switched to the explorer account instead of moving bank then PTSB jacked up the price on that too! Hello more customers going to KBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

That is so funny that people switched to the explorer account instead of moving bank then PTSB jacked up the price on that too! Hello more customers going to KBC.

I think EBS:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I'm glad I didn't switch to Explore Account. I've still FREE banking but yes must keep balance at €2,500 min.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I believe in voting with my feet, so we switched away from PTSB to KBC. Had a few issues but eventually got them resolved.

I would not be surprised if KBC change their free banking rules again soon, making it harder to avoid charges. Look at their latest financial results - profits are down 75% on this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

And the reason for all these fee hikes is a Central Bank fine

https://jrnl.ie/4661541

In other words the customers pay for someone else's "mistakes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'll be moving to AIB

its much less hassle, and luckily I'll be able to keep the balance needed.

No KBC branch within 40 minutes drive
    and could you rely on EBS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

loki7777 wrote: »
    I think EBS:)

Ebs have the most stupid sign up systems. Have to go in and submit Id first then wait for that to be approved before being able to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yes they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm off to N26. I'll keep my wife's account with PTSB for now. I do like their online setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

I'll be moving to AIB

its much less hassle, and luckily I'll be able to keep the balance needed.

Yes but isn't it more expensive to use AIB? Pay quarterly fee, pay per transaction, each time you cash out money and use their machines to lodge cash etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Moved to N26 when this day light robbery was announced

Zero draw backs to the move, except some direct debits questioning
    non national BIC, but all have accepted it, and processing no problem.

Savings in Credit Union, so happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm also with N26 since they opened here a few years ago. Very happy with it.

The only reason I'm keeping my PTSB open is for the odd time I need to lodge cash. There doesn't seem to be any other option with no fees for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I have a "Switch Current Account" with them and still don't pay fees and never have.
    I think I'm in an unusual situation though as I don't know if there are many people on this account. Wouldn't be surprised if they apply them at some stage in the future, but for now I'm sticking with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

fjon wrote: »
    I have a "Switch Current Account" with them and still don't pay fees and never have.
    I think I'm in an unusual situation though as I don't know if there are many people on this account. Wouldn't be surprised if they apply them at some stage in the future, but for now I'm sticking with it.

Yeah I'm the same, no fees for us for the moment. The minute they suggest them I'll be changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Yeah I'm the same, no fees for us for the moment. The minute they suggest them I'll be changing

I was told by someone in the bank that these accounts are fee-free for life, and PTSB have been warned to stick to that. Fingers crossed!

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm also with N26 since they opened here a few years ago. Very happy with it.

The only reason I'm keeping my PTSB open is for the odd time I need to lodge cash. There doesn't seem to be any other option with no fees for this.

Surely Credit Union don't charge for cash lodgements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Can someone explain PTSB's logic please?

Right, let's introduce fees, annoy everybody and lose a decent chunk of our customers... Couple of months later... Right let's increase that fee just to pi55 the remainder off further, see if we can lose even more customers?

A new CEO with a distinct lack of imagination for how to make money I'd imagine.

Useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I was told by someone in the bank that these accounts are fee-free for life, and PTSB have been warned to stick to that. Fingers crossed!

I was told the opposite in a branch today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Hopefully this is the case as I have two Switch Accounts, a savings account and an Online Instant Access account. I don't want the hassle of moving as I have found them reliable and the open24 app very useful but I will move to avoid fees if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

They can't change it, otherwise it would have been done in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have it as well and keep being told by staff how lucky I am to have it and never change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Having two Switch Current A/C's with PTSB, I called into my own branch and was told the Regulator has made it absolutely clear to them that Free Banking on these accounts means exactly that so no charges for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Yes, the Switch account was sold as "free banking for life". They've tried to find a loophole to get out of this, but as they haven't done so up to now, it's unlikely to happen.

Ice Storm wrote:
    Yes, the Switch account was sold as "free banking for life". They've tried to find a loophole to get out of this, but as they haven't done so up to now, it's unlikely to happen.

I think I had that account, but they are charging me, but I'm with N26 now. Can I recoup charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They can't change it, otherwise it would have been done in April.

Hang on... am I reading the above right?

I switched to them from AIB about 3/4 years back and then got a letter a few months ago like everyone else telling me I'd need to maintain a ridiculous daily balance, or pay fees

I moved to their Explore account and have now received a letter telling me the fees are going up there too.

But, should I not have been charged on the original account in the first place??

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    I switched to them from AIB about 3/4 years back and then got a letter a few months ago like everyone else telling me I'd need to maintain a ridiculous daily balance, or pay fees

These switching accounts, these were the ones where you had a switching buddy who done it all for you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

There were different phases of switching accounts over the years. However, I must see if I can dig out the original correspondence. They were so good at getting the tracker mortgage offers right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FaganJr wrote: »
    These switching accounts, these were the ones where you had a switching buddy who done it all for you??

Yep.. was about 3/4 years ago and it wasn't seamless either.

Advertisement