Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB making it harder to dodge quarterly fees

Comments

km79 wrote: »
    I’ll switch to taht in April so then prob move banks next autumn
    Will I keep my same account numbers etc if I move to the explore one ?

Yep, zero change for me when i switched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've had free banking since 2006 with ptsb and have a savings account and current so never switched banks before.

I go back to 1993 with them for free banking, over 25 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

My wife got the letter. She will just transfer the money from her savings account as the interest after dirt tax will less than the quarterly fee.
    Strangely, I have never been charged current account fees by PTSB. My balance is always close to zero. But perhaps they see me as a good customer according to their computer system or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

I switched from PTSB to KBC last year as this was flagged then.

The KBC app is better but there are a couple of annoyances. The biggest one for me is that they still send statements by post to comply with something or other. It's not internet banking if they're posting paper statements every quarter.

PTSB are sending quarterly printed statements as well, at no charge. I find it's handy to keep the last 6-9 months to hand in case you need to apply for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

How much of a pain is it to switch banks? Have to get onto to HR and change where wages go, switch direct debits and all that jazz.

I've had free banking since 2006 with ptsb and have a savings account and current so never switched banks before.

When I switched from AIB to PTSB about 6-8 years ago it was very easy, I only had to inform HR of the new bank account number, all DD's were taken care of by the bank.

• Advertisement

PTSB are sending quarterly printed statements as well, at no charge. I find it's handy to keep the last 6-9 months to hand in case you need to apply for anything.

You can download them in PDF form from the Open24 website anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

For those who are using KBC, can you tell me how you get around the following:

Loss or damage to your debit card, how do you manage until you get a replacement card?
    On the occasion you have a sum of cash you need to lodge to your account?

KBC have Android Pay if your phone is equipped with NFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

New account opened with KBC, bye bye ptsb. Between that and N26 I refuse to pay bank fees for as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Left PTSB a month ago..gone to KBC. Was with PTSB for 10 years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Will probably be getting this letter too. Feckers. Moved from AIB a few years back for the same reason. :(

Have the "virtual banks" (Revolut etc) issues where some utilities won't accept a non-Irish account since been resolved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't want a statement posted. You can opt out with PTSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

Can Revolut handle direct debits?

Also, how would you lodge a cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just opened a KBC account there.
    Same boat as others, moved to avoid the charges when AIB brought them in initially.
    One thing I will miss is the personalised cards!(Although that is being phased out too)
    Was one way of guaranteeing I always had a wedding photo with me ;)

Bojill wrote: »

Loss or damage to your debit card, how do you manage until you get a replacement card?

That's another drawback. You can't lodge cash.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Left PTSB a month ago..gone to KBC. Was with PTSB for 10 years too.

I was with them for nearly 40 years. They didn't even ask why I was closing the account!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Will probably be getting this letter too. Feckers. Moved from AIB a few years back for the same reason. :(

Have the "virtual banks" (Revolut etc) issues where some utilities won't accept a non-Irish account since been resolved?

Check out their individual threads but fwiw I have it working (n26) with energia and virgin media no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Bye bye Ptsb... bad enough that they more or less pay no interest on savings while making money out of your money, now they enforcing you to have a lot more money so they can make even more money from ya! Yet they not paying back all that bail out money that the Irish taxpayer had to give them in 08!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bojill wrote: »

I have a credit card as well, plus Revolut and an N26 account so I'm not short of backups. Saying that, it hasn't been an issue for me since opening my KBC account a few years back.

I still have my PTSB account so if I need to lodge cash I can use that. I don't know if my PTSB account is affected by this (it wasn't the last time). If it is I'll close it anyway. I don't really need to lodge cash or cheques, I can't remember the last time I done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dubrov wrote: »
    Can Revolut handle direct debits?

Should. I haven't had the need, so dunno. N26 definatly does.
    dubrov wrote: »
    Also, how would you lodge a cheque?

Credit union ? Or you can go into the issuing bank and get them to pay it out.

Who uses cheques anyhow anymore these days ? In over 4 decades, I've never had a cheque book. And I wouldn't trust a cheque either, because if there's no funds on the account, it just bounces.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Kids, students, graduates and the elderly have many more options.
    Anyone know of any current fee-free offers for NUI (UCD) graduates?

Increasingly elderly. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Beersmith

KBC are a cashless bank which is a pain if you ever need more than 600e in one day.

Beersmith wrote: »
    KBC are a cashless bank which is a pain if you ever need more than 600e in one day.

Not really. You can walk into Permanent TSB and use the ATMs inside the bank, you can pull 1500 EUR in one go. If your bank allows it.

Now, I don't know what the daily limit on the KBC account is for widthdrawal. But with N26 the limit is what you have on the account. No problem withdrawing 1500 anyhow.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Marlow wrote: »
    Not really. You can walk into Permanent TSB and use the ATMs inside the bank, you can pull 1500 EUR in one go. If your bank allows it.

Now, I don't know what the daily limit on the KBC account is for widthdrawal. But with N26 the limit is what you have on the account. No problem withdrawing 1500 anyhow.

/M

Well its the same with aib (inside thr bank) and i couldn't with kbc card. So yes it's a limit on withdrawal from kbc side of things.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well its the same with aib (inside thr bank) and i couldn't with kbc card. So yes it's a limit on withdrawal from kbc side of things.

Be worth contacting them and asking them, what the withdrawal limit is and if it can be increased.

Just double checked. Daily withdrawal limit on N26 is 2500 EUR and you can set it in the app. Daily payment limit is 5k. So another thing, that very much favours N26 there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

How is EBS? I see no fees and you don't have to lodge 2,5k into your account. Any problems with them(if the only problem would be mastercard instead of visa?)?

loki7777 wrote: »
    (if the only problem would be mastercard instead of visa?)?

N26 is also Mastercard Debitcard. Revolut is Mastercard (rated credit card, with very small print "prepaid" on the back).

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ugh. I switched to PTSB a few years ago to avoid bank charges and it was a nightmare. I'm not sure I can stomach moving again even though I'm not impressed with their new T&Cs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ugh. I switched to PTSB a few years ago to avoid bank charges and it was a nightmare. I'm not sure I can stomach moving again even though I'm not impressed with their new T&Cs.

As expected, letter waiting for me tonight when I got in. I think I'll probably move to the Explore account for now while I look into the N26 option and sort out a few other bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you decide that moving away from PTSB is a bit too much hassle and decide to go with their Explore offering...
    They make you open a new account rather than change the existing account type.

Seems to be a considered attempt to massage account opening figures IMO.

Advertisement