Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Home Security System

Options
  • 31-01-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

HI all

I currently have a Visonic very basic alarm, and its noting but hassle! I want to upgrade the whole system to one managed via an app on the phone, without 3rd party monitoring! IDeally looking to get a PIR installed too. I really dont know much about these systems so would really appreciate guidance on what people here would recommend and possibly installers (South Dublin/Wicklow area)

I've stumbled across network security.ie but not sure if the deal is 'too good to be true' and you are tied into monitoring services for 24/36 months!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Systems with very cheap upfront cost, usually require expensive ongoing subscriptions to use them.

And not just for the first 24/36 months. Usually they maintain ownership of these systems and they won't work at all if you stop paying!

A more traditional system from the likes of Vanderbilt, GSD or HKC are typically more expensive up front, but you own it and can do what you like with it and usually end up cheaper in the long term.

The usual advice is to contact 3 or 4 installers and get quotes from them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Thanks BK

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Systems like the one you mentions & Phonewatch etc are also locked to their respective company's. So even after you are out of contract you are tied to them for life of the system.
    Buying the system outright up front will actually save you in the long run. Also try avoid the annual or monthly subscriptions if you are happy with self monitoring. My experience on all these small subscriptions is they are all going the one way ,UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

S_D wrote: »
    HI all

I currently have a Visonic very basic alarm, and its noting but hassle! I want to upgrade the whole system to one managed via an app on the phone, without 3rd party monitoring! IDeally looking to get a PIR installed too. I really dont know much about these systems so would really appreciate guidance on what people here would recommend and possibly installers (South Dublin/Wicklow area)

I've stumbled across network security.ie but not sure if the deal is 'too good to be true' and you are tied into monitoring services for 24/36 months!

Thanks in advance!

Not only are you tied into the monitoring you are tied into the system.
    These systems can only be maintained by the company that install them in most cases. That is why they are happy to give away a system for next to nothing and recoup the cost over the life on the contract.

Advertisement