Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2d 4pin LEDs: ballast?

Options
  • 31-01-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently purchased 2 of these LED 2ds to replace the flickering CFL 2d's in our hot press: https://www.ie.screwfix.com/luceco-led-2d-bulb-2-pin-750lm-6-5w.html

While the website and the box for LED 2ds says they should work with existing magnetic ballast, the LEDs are flickering also. So I think either they're not compatible with the existing ballast or the existing ballast is out of action. Its at least 7 years old.

Any thoughts on whether these would work safely with the ballast (correctly) bypassed? I removed the starter, and left the rest of the ballast in place...and they seem to work OK, but don't want to leave it like that if it causes problems.

I've contacted Luceco but no response yet.

If it means replacing the ballast, I'd nearly just remove the entire fittings and replace with a short pendant/B22 fitting.

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JohnTravers

they're a 2-pin bulb so the fitting just needs the ballast in series with the bulb, no starter

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

they're a 2-pin bulb so the fitting just needs the ballast in series with the bulb, no starter

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I included the wrong link. I have the 4 pin bulbs as shown here
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-g24q-4-pin-2d-led-light-bulb-750lm-6-5w/3810x#product_additional_details_container

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JohnTravers

you need the magnetic ballast and starter or just the electronic starter for the 4-pin

you need the magnetic ballast and starter or just the electronic starter for the 4-pin

That's what I was thinking. They flicker when I had the old starters (as was the case with the previous cfls) so I think I need to try replacing the starters. I take it the same as those in this photo will do? Says "4-65w".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnTravers2

it's me back, the 4-65w starter is fine

it's good practice always to replace bulb+starter, the magnetic ballasts don't give much trouble

what i have seen is new 2D bulbs give trouble like that

best to switch to led rather than replacing parts

• Advertisement

it's me back, the 4-65w starter is fine

it's good practice always to replace bulb+starter, the magnetic ballasts don't give much trouble

what i have seen is new 2D bulbs give trouble like that

best to switch to led rather than replacing parts

Great thanks. Will go with that.

Advertisement