Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections and cycling

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Danny Alvey, first time SocDem in Wicklow got in - he may be SocDem but he's hugely involved locally in 'Green'/ environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

disappointing to see Mannix Flynn getting back in. Another 5 years of fighting any sort of progress (on transport at least, I'm sure he does good work in other areas).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am very very disappointed that Caroline Conroy has lost her LEA seat, big champion of the cyclist, of greening of local areas also.

Displaced by a punter who wants to protect the Irish identity, and to end the war on motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,007 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Paddy Monahan in Dublin would have similar environmental / cycling credentials.

Is it fair to say cycling has become toxic for politicians - ranging from the ubiquitous Regina's aggressive anti-cycling comments, to middle of the road candidates saying they all for cycling but dont want disruption to motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well as a direct result of Regina Doherty's rant she lost 3 votes from our household. But every miffed cyclist there were ten vehemently nodding motorists. I'm sure it was calculated commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Tangentially, this years Etape du Tour has been moved from Sunday 7th July to Saturday the 6th due to the snap French elections. Hope no-one was travelling on the Friday…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pepper is a taxi driver which. One who doesn't like foreigners. He's like a meme but is unfortunately very real

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is him mouthing off in Fairview. The guy is an embarrasment if he thinks he is suitable to sit on a city council and best serve his constituients - he isn't even able to educate himself on the basics of a major infrastructure project his council is overseeing…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

His teachers weren't able to educate him on the basics of punctuation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

1. That photo looks as though it was taken from the driver's seat of a car with a phone, which would be illegal.
    2. Of the three cars ahead of the car from which the photo was taken, two appear to have crossed the stop line while the light was red. Of course it's possible that they crossed the line after the light went red, but if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My overall impression is that the elections weren't nearly as bad as I'd been expecting, in terms of active travel anyway. Based on the returns, don't think people are that angry about the change done and changes planned. The far right didn't make that many gains either, and Quinlan and Casey, presidential runner-up no less, didn't get EP seats.

Regina Doherty got about what the polls were showing before the rant, so not sure it made that much difference, though I don't need convincing that the sentiments are sincerely held.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Interesting that Aodhán Ó Riordáin was bigging up working with the Greens. He and Cuffe seem to get along very well. Quite a lot of aligned policies developing between SDs, Labour and Greens for the last few years. Though you still have the Dermot Laceys in the mix, of course.

Advertisement