Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor for gaming.

Options
  • 31-01-2019 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

So I'm considering getting a new monitor. I really don't want to spend more then 200 euro, will jump to 250 if there is a big difference.

For the last 5 years I've been using a 23" LG 60hz, 2ms at 1080p.

Would I notice a big difference from jumping to a 120hz monitor? I will still be playing at 1080p as I only have 4gb of VRAM.

That mean I should stick to the 23"-24"?
    There a big difference in gaming between 1ms and 5ms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

With the price your suggesting, and the fact your GPU is only 4gb, what GPU btw? I wouldn't bother with the upgrade, 144hz is the only real upgrade in 1080p, and unless your playing csgo or something that uses little GPU, you wont get the frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

RX 480 4gb. I get well above 60fps in most games I play. I don't play many AA titles as such.

Rust, insurgency sandstorm and CSGO are the only FPS I play actively.

The likes of this look any good? 144hz too.

My understanding of hz (And I could be wrong) is if you have a game that runs at 120 fps and have a monitor thats only 60hz, your display will only be 60fps.
    Just looking for something a bit smoother. I will be upgrading GPU later in the year as well. Probably to a 2060 but Im happy playing at 1080p.

killanena wrote: »
    RX 480 4gb. I get well above 60fps in most games I play. I don't play many AA titles as such.

Rust, insurgency sandstorm and CSGO are the only FPS I play actively.

The likes of this look any good? 144hz too.

My understanding of hz (And I could be wrong) is if you have a game that runs at 120 fps and have a monitor thats only 60hz, your display will only be 60fps.
    Just looking for something a bit smoother. I will be upgrading GPU later in the year as well. Probably to a 2060 but Im happy playing at 1080p.

If your monitor is 60Hz, you can get over 60FPS in game but past 60Fps they wont really be displayed, so if your playing games right now and not getting past 60Fps, you will NOT get past 60Fps if you get a 144Hz Monitor. If your getting 100-200+ FPS in game, then yes you will see a significant improvement from 60Hz to 144Hz

I am getting higher FPS then 60. I consistently get 80-200 depending on the above mentioned games.

I play ALOT of a different titles. Very few games I own would be running under 60 fps. Battlefield 5 for example, I get about 55 FPS on high settings, 70-80 on medium.

I am getting higher FPS then 60. I consistently get 80-200 depending on the above mentioned games.

I play ALOT of a different titles. Very few games I own would be running under 60 fps. Battlefield 5 for example, I get about 55 FPS on high settings, 70-80 on medium.

I wouldnt recommend a 144Hz to anyone not playing competitive shooters. If your using 1080p and not upgrading your GPU then I would stick with what you have. If you were to upgrade anything, upgrade that GPU, then Monitor to a 1440p 144Hz and NEVER LOOK BACK. 1440p was a massive improvement over 1080p for me at least

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough. I do play competitive shooters but not seriously. Thank you for your input.

Regardless, I need a new monitor as I have a few dead pixels on my current one and the brightness has always been a bit weird, I have to mess around it both the monitor settings and game settings to get it right. Its always been a bit dark for my liking.

Ok fair enough. I do play competitive shooters but not seriously. Thank you for your input.

Regardless, I need a new monitor as I have a few dead pixels on my current one and the brightness has always been a bit weird, I have to mess around it both the monitor settings and game settings to get it right. Its always been a bit dark for my liking.

Well Asus always make great monitors, my own main monitor is an Asus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PM'd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend a 144Hz to anyone not playing competitive shooters. If your using 1080p and not upgrading your GPU then I would stick with what you have. If you were to upgrade anything, upgrade that GPU, then Monitor to a 1440p 144Hz and NEVER LOOK BACK. 1440p was a massive improvement over 1080p for me at least

Totally disagree, i play every genre out there and 144hz is a massive difference in every genre.
    Speaking from personal experience i would go with 144hz 1080P before 60hz 1440 every day of the week.
    1440 144hz is ideal if budget and hardware permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

agreed with DCully, get a 144hz even at 1080p at a minimum, budget and hardware dependant then definitely 1440p 144hz is the way to go

the difference isn't subtle, its very noticeable and you will say to yourself 'I'm never going back to a 60hz monitor'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Totally disagree, i play every genre out there and 144hz is a massive difference in every genre.
    Speaking from personal experience i would go with 144hz 1080P before 60hz 1440 every day of the week.
    1440 144hz is ideal if budget and hardware permits.
    BArra wrote: »
    agreed with DCully, get a 144hz even at 1080p at a minimum, budget and hardware dependant then definitely 1440p 144hz is the way to go

the difference isn't subtle, its very noticeable and you will say to yourself 'I'm never going back to a 60hz monitor'

OP, while I haven't seen it myself yet due to waiting on delivery, the above two posters echo the same exact same advice I've seen everywhere online regarding picking up a new monitor, which is that 144hz is such a MASSIVE gamechanger that it overshadows every other monitor feature.

I'm really considering getting the Asus monitor I linked earlier within the next 2 weeks. I'm hoping to keep the cost below 200e if possible if anyone can recommend something else similar but cheaper?

I notice sense I upgraded awhile back that even though (for example) I'm getting a 120-150fps in Rust. It doesn't feel all that smooth at 60hz.

Luckily I haven't been spoiled yet playing at 1440 yet so I'm content with 1080 for now :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

1ms 144hz monitor will perform excellently once your frames are high.
    1080P is still a great resolution to game at, dont let anyone tell you any different.
    Butter smooth 1080 is glorious trust me.

Advertisement