Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

In this morning and done with an oil change, happy camper and @tretorn i 100% will buy another 520, min 2017 version ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Got a call today to say my car is ready for collection! That was 8 long weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

BrookieD wrote: »
    In this morning and done with an oil change, happy camper and @tretorn i 100% will buy another 520, min 2017 version ;-)

Are they a great car, they look lovely.

I saw too fairly new BMWs on pick up trucks recently, I actually walked past one and remembered thinking that was a fairly new car to break down.

Im thinking now they were being picked up from owners houses.

I definitely think think BMW should at least be offering goodwill gestures to customers if the car is impounded for more than a few days, ie a ten per cent discount if they go to upgrade in the future. Buying a car is one of the biggest financial decisions people make so you should be confident it wont go up in smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

red petal wrote: »
    Got a call today to say my car is ready for collection! That was 8 long weeks!

That is an appalling level of customer care, I dont care what they gave you to replace your car.

You can bet a German customer wouldnt wait as long, you were all shafted so the germans could be pacified.

tretorn wrote: »
    That is an appalling level of customer care, I dont care what they gave you to replace your car.

You can bet a German customer wouldnt wait as long, you were all shafted so the germans could be pacified.
    Mate you seem to be very anti BMW. That's cool but not really needed now is it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Would BMW Ireland repair (or be obliged to repair) an affected car even if it was privately imported from UK? (Just curious as I remember Toyota had a recall years ago but were only fixing Irish cars and not imported ones I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

timple23 wrote: »
    Would BMW Ireland repair (or be obliged to repair) an affected car even if it was privately imported from UK? (Just curious as I remember Toyota had a recall years ago but were only fixing Irish cars and not imported ones I think)

Of course they do, a vast amount of BMWs on Irish road were probably imported from the UK. BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭sk8board

tretorn wrote: »
    Is it possible that the car could go on fire in a carpark while parked.
    I am going to make sure I dont park beside these series of cars if I can help it.

probably safer to not leave your house :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Mine was imported from the UK, got the recall letter and fixed by BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

@Tretorn

All manufacturers do recalls at somepoint.

The Toyota Hybrid is probably at the top end of the class for reliability but even some of those have been recalled for a software update recently to improve the hybrid set ups response to a particular fault occuring.

The big issue is BMW not having their parts supply meet demand.

They are at least keeping people on the road albeit in a somewhat sloppy manner - ie people having to swop their own insurance to a hire car.

I'd have expected BMW and their hire car partners to deliver a fully insured hire car that didn't need to go under your policy.

But recalls are totally normal part of the industry.

Every manufacturer has their issues - see hybrid issue above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yes, they will look after the car for you. BMW dealers import most of their used stock from the UK themselves. Every 5 series Msport touring I viewed at any of the dealers were all imports.

Just some feedback on Joe Duffy M50,
    520 was dropped in by the wife yesterday morning, They booked in the car, gave her a 191 BMW 1 series for the day and told her to expect a call later in afternoon. They duly called back at 3ish told her car is ready to be collected at 16:30. Mrs B called down and there was the 520 ready top drive, work sorted and fresh oil to boot. Car was given a full valet, wash etc... lights checked and wipers. BMW sorted the Insurance call and Mrs B was more than happy with them....

I think its only fair to show the good along with the bad. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

I dropped my car into colm quinns in galway today at 11.30 .... had it back at 2 .

She said parts are coming in daily now .... perhaps i was just lucky but worked out well for me anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JRH wrote: »
    I dropped my car into colm quinns in galway today at 11.30 .... had it back at 2 .

She said parts are coming in daily now .... perhaps i was just lucky but worked out well for me anyway .

Did they change the part or just inspect if it needed it?,crazy to think you only had to wait 2 and a half hours and others had to wait 8 weeks...

i know , i feel so lucky after following this thread for the past few weeks .

They are definitely replacing on all cars , not just inspection . She told me so when signing in . The service invoice has 'replaced EGR cooler ' on it also .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Got a call back after throwing the toys out of the pram. Covering my extra insurance costs, upgrading the rental to F Class and confirmed my car will be in the next batch to hit Frank Keane.

Got my 'F Class' rental upgrade - a Skoda Octavia. Think I preferred the Focus I was in.

Customer Service Manager called me back today to confirm my car is now in Frank Keane BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

My car is in 2 weeks yesterday, received a text last week and a phone call yesterday from Bolands apologizing but they have no idea at this moment in time as to when they will have the valve for my car. Fair play for keeping me informed, I have a rental while its off the road and there is not much more the dealership can do in this instance.

Like I said previously, at least the valve will be done when I get my car back.

Talking to a fellow BMW owner yesterday re this and he said that he would be looking for an extent of his BMW warranty equivalent to the time the car was off the road due to the recall.....just wondering what peoples thoughts on that would be?

Update on this.....Got a call on Thursday morning 28th March at 10.30am to say my car was ready for collection with a new EGR valve and cooler fitted. Collected later that day, washed and vacuumed etc, staff could not have been nicer in Bolands on this occasion, offered to take the rental in there but as I don't trust rental companies I wanted to personally drop it back and have it inspected so I made sure I got my deposit back. Car seems fine, happy that its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

My cars in tomorrow for the recall. Just wondering will it definitely be replaced or will they just check it? And how long will the job take? I'm also gona get them to check the timing chain while it's in to see is there much stretch on it and if its needing replacing.

my 420 GC had zero symthoms ... but i was told before it went in that it had to be replaced .
    I would think anyone who was just ' checked ' earlier , was fobbed off because there was no parts .
    I would get back on to them and get your recall done properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Got our 518 back yesterday from Bolands, all washed and hoovered. Dropped in originally on the 19th Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

my 420 GC had zero symthoms ... but i was told before it went in that it had to be replaced .
    I would think anyone who was just ' checked ' earlier , was fobbed off because there was no parts .
    I would get back on to them and get your recall done properly .

THIS

How can it be predicted that a part that's okay today will still be okay at a later date..

If you take your car for NCT - we know that all the NCT means is that on ONE day the car was found to be of a pretty basic roadworthiness standard.

A check is fine if it's something like a bolt not tightened properly on some cars at factory.

Ditto a technical bulletin type fault where a fault can be reliabily checked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

I got my car back from the dealership yesterday and they told me they checked it and my egr cooler did not need replaced.

I'm actually not sure again , I got a follow up customer service call today from Colm Quinn's . I asked the guy if all coolers were replaced and he said one in ten after checking.
    But like I said , I was told by another staff member before going in it had to be replaced ...and it was .
    So I just don't know ...

So after complaining to BMW about the lack of communication over the last 6+ weeks I got a phone call today to say that my car will be ready for collection tomorrow. EGR Cooler replaced, inlet manifold replaced, serviced & valeted.

Can't. Bleedin'. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jaysus, inlet manifold replaced too. She was pretty close to going up in flames BN!

Glad you can relax now and enjoy the car.

Wailin wrote: »
    Jaysus, inlet manifold replaced too. She was pretty close to going up in flames BN!

You might recall from earlier reading I got a strong burning smell and smoke through the vents, so yeah - close enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

I'm actually not sure again , I got a follow up customer service call today from Colm Quinn's . I asked the guy if all coolers were replaced and he said one in ten after checking.
    But like I said , I was told by another staff member before going in it had to be replaced ...and it was .
    So I just don't know ...

AFAIK its not a specific batch thats failing but rather the part that is failing so logic says they will all have to be replaced

Wailin wrote: »

I don't think I'd ever be at ease with BMWs recent form,
    and I do own a BMW but its not modern :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Obwon68

My car went in 15 Feb got it back yesterday cooler replaced and car full checked by Frank Keane BlackRock.. they had at least another 15 awaiting collection so starting to move now.. car feels grand now they washed it but no valet but at least checked over and all safe to drive no more smelly I30 although have to admit took me a while to adjust back to 5 series :) hopefully everyone starts seen their cars coming back now ..thank God for this forum kept us informed as BMW terrible on comms.

• Advertisement

Obwon68 wrote: »
    My car went in 15 Feb got it back yesterday cooler replaced and car full checked by Frank Keane BlackRock.. they had at least another 15 awaiting collection so starting to move now.. car feels grand now they washed it but no valet but at least checked over and all safe to drive no more smelly I30 although have to admit took me a while to adjust back to 5 series :) hopefully everyone starts seen their cars coming back now ..thank God for this forum kept us informed as BMW terrible on comms.

My dates were almost identical. Delighted to be back in it. Did you get an oil change and health check with it?

Advertisement