Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Got recall letter dropped in the 520d today. Needs the egr replaced. Was surprised until I read this thread. So they give me a 191 Hyundai Tucson. Grand yoke. But my problem is that I had a tow bar on the bmw and needed one on replacement car because I have a dog trailer and go away every weekend with it. Bmw said it was not their problem and europcar said they doubted they had any vehicle. Was pissed off and then in fairness europcar rang me and said they would have a Nissan l200 with a tow bar for me on Friday morning. Happy days. Always wanted to drive one of the pick ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

physioman wrote: »
    Got recall letter dropped in the 520d today. Needs the egr replaced. Was surprised until I read this thread. So they give me a 191 Hyundai Tucson. Grand yoke. But my problem is that I had a tow bar on the bmw and needed one on replacement car because I have a dog trailer and go away every weekend with it. Bmw said it was not their problem and europcar said they doubted they had any vehicle. Was pissed off and then in fairness europcar rang me and said they would have a Nissan l200 with a tow bar for me on Friday morning. Happy days. Always wanted to drive one of the pick ups.

Did they give any indication of how long until you have your own one back?

Avns1s wrote: »
    Did they give any indication of how long until you have your own one back?

3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Got mine back in 1 week, maybe that’s because I had a 191 X3 on loan that they really wanted back !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

After getting collected from outside my house by car transporter three weeks ago after the engine management light came on I handed the keys back of the 182 Mazda 6 Platinum. Have been told my egr valve has been replaced (Frank Keane). Was actually starting to enjoy the Mazda! 171 320d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I spoke to service manager in the Bmw garage I deal with about g series cars having egr issues.
    He said that he has heard rumours but that they have not been informed officially of any recall involving g30/31.
    Any body else hear anything?

Got the car back after 3 weeks. They didn't bother to vac or wash car even though they printed it on service details that they did. Got part replaced and that was it. Pretty poor service to be honest. Yeah got replacement car but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mickflet

Mine was taken away yesterday so should i expect a 3 week wait? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

physioman wrote: »

in fairness i found europcar to be great , they had me out of the i10 and into an auto 320d in 24hrs and they were the ones giving me pointers on how to get my car done quicker.

Mine still took 12 weeks however :(
    No wash / vac tidy or anything like that , just a call to try and up sell for new rear disc's / pads

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Mickflet wrote: »
    Mine was taken away yesterday so should i expect a 3 week wait? Thanks

engine management light on and you called it in or booked in ?

• Advertisement

Engine management Light and loss of power and drivetrain message?

Called them had a tow truck in 40 minutes and a hire car within 90 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

3er GT 320d (F34) into Joe Duffy on Monday morning - call by lunchtime to say EGR needs replacement and car impounded. Rental delivered to the door by Europcar by 4pm - had to arrange own insurance transfer. No update yet other than they are waiting on parts and it could be 2 days or 2 weeks - they've had others on the lot for 10 days now. Will wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

bazza wrote: »
    3er GT 320d (F34) into Joe Duffy on Monday morning - call by lunchtime to say EGR needs replacement and car impounded. Rental delivered to the door by Europcar by 4pm - had to arrange own insurance transfer. No update yet other than they are waiting on parts and it could be 2 days or 2 weeks - they've had others on the lot for 10 days now. Will wait and see...

Hope they gave you a decent rental for the time out?

Dont understand why they are taking them off the road and taking so long to get the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

[quote=mickey15ie

Dont understand why they are taking them off the road and taking so long to get the materials.[/quote]

They are taking them off the road because they are going on fire.
    They cant get the parts because there is a world wide shortage of parts

Just a bog standard Octavia. Don't care as long as it has 4 wheels and it goes. The impounding mitigates the risk of the thing going up in flames while being driven - I've no issue with that! Just interested to see if the part supply issues have improved now or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone got this done recently? My car has just been loaded onto a recovery truck for this after it lost a load of coolant. Are parts still weeks coming through or a matter of a few days?

Anyone got this done recently? My car has just been loaded onto a recovery truck for this after it lost a load of coolant. Are parts still weeks coming through or a matter of a few days?

In case anyone else is getting this done, parts are seemingly easier got now. My car went in on Thursday and will be ready Monday evening. Not the worst turnaround considering what others have been put through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Looks like Volvo are doing a recall with the same issue.

Over 5,000 Volvo cars in Ireland recalled over engine fire risk https://jrnl.ie/4734472

Manufacturer of that component will be in the doldrums after this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Wailin wrote: »
    Looks like Volvo are doing a recall with the same issue.

Over 5,000 Volvo cars in Ireland recalled over engine fire risk https://jrnl.ie/4734472

Manufacturer of that component will be in the doldrums after this fiasco.

Will be interesting to see how Volvo handle bringing the cars in Vs what we have seen from BMW.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how Volvo handle bringing the cars in Vs what we have seen from BMW.

Far less volume to deal with than BMW. Over 10,000 cars recalled for BMW, more than double.

Update: Mine was in Joe D from Monday afternoon last week. They got the parts following Friday morning, EGR replaced and back on the road Friday evening, washed valeted etc. Not too bad considering some of the horror stories from the UK and here. F34 320d GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Our old 2012 F10 was recalled and dropped to BMW dealer locally June

My wife was given a new G10 as replacement car while hers was in.

It took under 2 weeks to source part(s) [p/n 847699301 ] and replace. No fuss; thank you.

Only niggle with this process was there were a few codes present after getting car back; checked wiring & cleared codes and will monitor. Maybe coincidence?

25C800

the nature of these did raise an eyebrow tbh - we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I have emailed FK Blackrock three times to book in for my X5 ...... as per the bmw service letter i received in Jan. They have ignored me point blank. When my x5 goes whoosh in a ball of flames I look forward to FKs explanation to them ignoring my emails. Electronic communications via the bmw website is their only form of recommended contact

I'd try ringing them, they're usually very good over the phone. I've always found dealing by email to be a waste of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭carsfan2

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I have emailed FK Blackrock three times to book in for my X5 ...... as per the bmw service letter i received in Jan. They have ignored me point blank. When my x5 goes whoosh in a ball of flames I look forward to FKs explanation to them ignoring my emails. Electronic communications via the bmw website is their only form of recommended contact

E mail them saying you’re thinking of trading your x5 for a new one.
    They’ll reply quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You don't book it in through the dealer. You book it in via bmwservice.ie

Choose your preferred dealer and they'll email you back with a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wingman365

Has anyone had their BMW actually go on fire on them. This happened me a few weeks ago and I've received little or no contact from BMW. The car was also recalled and sent to Joe Duffy who said that the car didn't need the part replaced...a few months later it goes up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

wingman365 wrote: »
    Has anyone had their BMW actually go on fire on them. This happened me a few weeks ago and I've received little or no contact from BMW. The car was also recalled and sent to Joe Duffy who said that the car didn't need the part replaced...a few months later it goes up in flames.

I'd be getting a solicitor involved tbh.

1) known issue on the car that can cause a fire.....

2) car was checked for the fault and declared safe

3) BMW arguably should have replaced ALL EGR valves on cars recalled . A car that was within spec for the check can go out of spec - that seems foreseeable to me.

Best of luck :(

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'd be getting a solicitor involved tbh.

1) known issue on the car that can cause a fire.....

2) car was checked for the fault and declared safe

3) BMW arguably should have replaced ALL EGR valves on cars recalled . A car that was within spec for the check can go out of spec - that seems foreseeable to me.

Best of luck :(

If you can prove that this was a factor in th cause of the fire you have a rock solid case.. you will need an expert though as once a car goes on fire things melt very very quickly and the evidence with it. I had the pleasure of meeting a fire forensic investigator a few years ago from Dublin who was root causing a van fire for a company I worked for, he was so good that even though the van was pretty badly damaged he found the cause in a chaffed wire. I can’t recall his name right now but it’s someone like this you will probably need.

I often wondered what the outcome would be in such a case, I also have an affected vehicle but had my EGR replaced a few weeks ago when it lost all its coolant. Keep us posted.

Advertisement