Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some neck on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Ardent wrote: »
    My 520D Touring is in for EGR cooler replacement today. The cheap bastids charged me a 9.50 EUR "sanitization fee" for the privilege. Hating myself at the moment for not digging my heels in and refusing to pay it.

What main dealer is this?

I must book mine in to be done.. they can whistle dixey for any sanitizing fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

mikeecho wrote: »
    What main dealer is this?

I must book mine in to be done.. they can whistle dixey for any sanitizing fee.

My 530d was replaced today in Kearys BMW Cork (after being checked last year), they called me on Friday to book it in. The receipt included sanitation but no fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulh266

Is it just the cooler of the egr or is it all one unit? I was told there would be a 15 euro sanitisation charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any recent experiences? My car is in on Friday.

Are most getting replaced or just inspected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mine got the all clear when this started. Still haven't received any kind of contact and the old one was put back in when the engine was replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I was told in February that my X5 40d is not on a list for a recall because every car on the recall list does not need the egr replaced. Was also told they are not replacing egr that were deemed ok first time they were checked.

Mine was given the all clear last year also but I then heard that they were replacing them all, even on the ones that were previously given the all clear. I rang my dealer in February and they confirmed and booked it in to be replaced. I never once got a recall letter from BMW or my local dealer. I contacted them to get it sorted on both occasions so I certainly wouldn't be waiting on them to either contact me first or for the car to catch fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If they refused to give me back my car I'd go home, get the spare key and arrive back down to the dealership and I'd walk into the yard, sit into it and drive off, making full sure that they see me doing it.

They would just move it behind 5 or 6 other cars in their yard while you went off home looking for your spare key. It's not like a situation like that has never happened them before.

I'd fight them on the sanitizing charge though, send it to BMW. Your car wouldn't need sanitizing if BMW didn't have to recall their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

If they refused to give me back my car I'd go home, get the spare key and arrive back down to the dealership and I'd walk into the yard, sit into it and drive off, making full sure that they see me doing it.

Most dealers also have their stock behind secure gates to prevent their and their customer cars disappearing.

Never mind the liability side of things if it did catch fire if by some miracle you did manage to retrieve it. What would be your defense? They told you that the car was unsafe to drive and prohibited you from leaving the dealership due to the risk.

BMW have handled it very badly however I get the impression that they traced the owners in the UK better than from what I gather in Ireland. I received a phone call and a "red" letter explaining the recall. The DVLA were also notified and the MOT site also had an alert on it notifying the current owners or prespective buyers about outstanding recalls on vehicles (displayed when a vehicle was searched via its reg).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

You'd be doing well coz as soon as you walk away most are stored in locked garage until it's ready to be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andy360

Hi Everyone, have a 2016 (162) 520d M sport, got from UK, leaking manifold, engine bay full of soot, checked vin number and no recall due but it hasn't been done previously, gonna call bmw tomorrow (Monday) at 8am. I got serviced with bmworkshop.ie and he's brilliant, he noticed the soot and checked the database and said it was due a recall? Think I've copped this just in time, as there was no soot in engine bay couple weeks ago and haven't done much milage since... Will bmw replace everything including the egr cooler and the leaking manifold as it's a danger? Even though it says on their site no recall due? (database that bmworkshop.ie checked says it IS due)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd probably save that phone call until at least 11am, genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andy360

What was your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My car has an invoice for remove and install or replace egr cooler for 240 pounds on first jan 2018

Then recall letter December 2018

Then checking if egr cooler all OK invoice January 2019

I'm grand for this recall id say? Or should I still check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I have a 171 Automatic F30 and had it in with Conlans in Limerick a few months back for the recall check. They said everything was in perfect working order.

I've noticed over the last few weeks that the car is stuttery, like the automatic transmission is off or something. I reset the adaption a few times but it hasn't worked.

I've had a drivetrain warning two or three times now that goes away after turning off ignition and back on. No burning smell or anything like that.

Could this be related to EGR issue? I no longer have the letter from BMW about recall to know what the symptoms are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's certainly symptoms of the egr cooler issue, no doubt. I'd be bringing it back to the dealers ASAP, it needs to be checked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭carsfan2

There is now a recall on g30/31 5 series for egr replacement.
    I got a call last week to bring in my 2017 520d. coincidentally I had noticed recently a few times when it felt hesitant and stuttery which they said could be related.

Will you bring it in carsfan or just let bmw deal with it when the g20 arrives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Wailin wrote: »
    Will you bring it in carsfan or just let bmw deal with it when the g20 arrives?

Actually just picked up new car this evening so garage said they will replace it when prepping old car for resale.

Ah very nice. You'll have to give us a rundown of how it is once you've had a few drives over on the unofficial BMW forum! Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

John_Mc wrote: »
    I have a 171 Automatic F30 and had it in with Conlans in Limerick a few months back for the recall check. They said everything was in perfect working order.

I've noticed over the last few weeks that the car is stuttery, like the automatic transmission is off or something. I reset the adaption a few times but it hasn't worked.

I've had a drivetrain warning two or three times now that goes away after turning off ignition and back on. No burning smell or anything like that.

Could this be related to EGR issue? I no longer have the letter from BMW about recall to know what the symptoms are.

It was the EGR valve that needed replacing and nothing to do with EGR cooler recall so €560 to replace it.

The car has a full service history with BMW and only 68,000km on it. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

John_Mc wrote: »
    It was the EGR valve that needed replacing and nothing to do with EGR cooler recall so €560 to replace it.

The car has a full service history with BMW and only 68,000km on it. Is this normal?

I have the same car and same year, I got it fixed under warrenty, luckily it started acting up within warenty, exactly as you describe, almost like misfiring and selecting the wrong gear. Since that I have always got the circle k more expensive diesel as it may be related to diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

I've recently noticed my coolant level has been mysteriously dropping with no apparent leak on the street. My first thoughts were the egr cooler must be letting the coolant out somewhere as I know from reading bmw forums that this is a common enough issue with bmw.

My car was in for a recall in 2019 to check the cooler and it got the all clear. For the craic I chanced my vin in the BMW recall page and it's came up that it's got an open recall for recall code 0011420500. I googled this and it looks as if it's the egr cooler once again. Has anyone else has there car in again after the initial trip to the dealer? They said it was ok the last time but there's obviously a new recall but I received no letter like the last time. Is there a possibility the might just change it out or is it just for another check?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A customer of mine in an early 2018 520d called me yesterday as he'd received a recall notice from BMW. Didn't see the letter myself, but it's to do with the EGR.

Can't remember if that car had been in before for a replacement or even a check, but it sounds like there might be another campaign just starting.

Yeah I called the dealer today and they told me it was right enough and there is another recall about the egr cooler. She said they'd check it again and change it if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

R.O.R wrote: »
    A customer of mine in an early 2018 520d called me yesterday as he'd received a recall notice from BMW. Didn't see the letter myself, but it's to do with the EGR.

Can't remember if that car had been in before for a replacement or even a check, but it sounds like there might be another campaign just starting.

Got my notice yesterday too. Also an early 2018 520D. Letter came from BMW UK as it was an English import, although transferred to Irish plates last year.

Got offered an appointment within the next 24 hours, and have been told that in a worse case scenario it would take up to 3 hours.

Car went in yesterday for the recall. Changed the cooler for a new one. Not sure what condition the old one was in but obviously it was knackered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Dundalkshelly

Hi guys hope somebody can answer my question, got a letter from BMW group Ireland about recall EGR Cooler for my 2017 118D BMW its Irish reg and i live in the south near the boarder, my question is can i get the service done in the North (free of course as offered from BMW) as that would be handier for me and don't like driving to and in Dublin. Already emailed BMW Customer Service twice but no answer so far

Advertisement