Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They really do think it's a fire risk, that's why they grounded it and made you sign a disclaimer to take it away, it's your problem now.

I'd understand if they gave you a Kia Picanto or a VW Up or some other tiny POS but I personally I think a Sportage, while not like for like is a reasonable temporary car.

Anyway sure it is what it is now.

I had a lot going on yesterday and wasn't in the best of moods in hindsight i was very stupid to take the car back but i did take it and nothing i can do now ill just have to get on with it and hope nothing happens,the sportage was a more than enough replacement i dont know what i was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Pistolpete1

If the car goes up on fire, who is responsible for that? Me or BMW? And if the fire damages nearby property who is responsible? I have my car booked in for April but I have no other option between now and then only to drive it.

The BMW garage said it any issues ring the emergency number on the recall letter.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I had a lot going on yesterday and wasn't in the best of moods in hindsight i was very stupid to take the car back but i did take it and nothing i can do now ill just have to get on with it and hope nothing happens,the sportage was a more than enough replacement i dont know what i was thinking

Maybe a call and explain you had a bad day and see what happens, what's the worse they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭sk8board

Pre recall - I had no coolant issues/warnings on my 152 420d GC, but twice it went into limp mode, at 9 months old and again at 24 months.
    Coincidentally both times I was 5 mins from a main dealer (Milltown and Finglas), so I limped in and both times it was the EGR sensor had to be replaced. I’m booked in for April, hopefully it’s just an inspection and I’m on my way

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They've had my car all week. It hasn't been looked at yet (wasn't expecting it to have been looked at either tbh). They confirmed I can hang on to the rental 'until further notice'.

Avg consumption when I picked up the Auris was 4.8 / 100. It's now 6.2. :pac:

• Advertisement

Mine due in Monday - booked it in ages ago and confirmed that part is on the shelf so will be in for the day - if not i keep the rental will its ready, wont sweat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

If it does go up in smoke i hope you got some spare change in your arse pocket.

i checked with my insurance company and they said they would not accept liability in those circumstances where the owner was informed there was a problem, but refused to get the work done. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

BrookieD wrote: »
    Mine due in Monday - booked it in ages ago and confirmed that part is on the shelf so will be in for the day - if not i keep the rental will its ready, wont sweat it

Good news - hopefully that means other peoples cars will also be getting worked on over the coming days and weeks - as hopefully this means parts might be starting to move towards dealers.

in fact from speaking with the guy from the insurance company, i got the impression his company and others are acutely aware of this problem, and are paying particular attention to all fire claims from BMW owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

I passed a BMW on fire on a motorway about 30 years ago.
    A woman was trapped inside. People were trying to break the windows with whatever they could find to no success. She was burned alive.

It's sad to think that people here are forewarned about a potential problem and have the opportunity to remediate it and prevent something like the above but specifically choose not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

wandererz wrote: »
    A woman was trapped inside. People were trying to break the windows with whatever they could find to no success. She was burned alive.

It's sad to think that people here are forewarned about a potential problem and have the opportunity to remediate it and prevent something like the above but specifically choose not to.

For some reason not many people know you can use the headrest of a car to break the windows too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Why should they? Is it taught in the driving theory test...

Anyway, put in a situation like that a lot of people would panic and not think straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Wailin wrote: »
    Why should they? Is it taught in the driving theory test...

Anyway, put in a situation like that a lot of people would panic and not think straight.

To be honest I think it should be.
    It is a great piece of knowledge to have and even if it only helps one person then that is one life saved.

wandererz wrote: »

Free with every BMW!

s-l1600.jpg

Any updates lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Any updates lads?

Nearly 4 weeks since I opened this thread and we haven't heard a word from BMW.

Once we get to the one month mark we will call the dealer and see if the parts are in yet. I have a feeling this will drag on longer that their initial estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Any updates lads?

Still nothing but "we don't know when we will have parts, they're on back order from Germany!". BMW can't seem to be able to give any answers to reasonable questions like "what is the estimated time", "how long is it taking on average to get cars fixed", "Where is my car", "when is it likely to reach the dealer".

How they can get away with giving the customers nothing but "i dont know" is beyond me. My car is in a holding area somewhere for over 3 weeks with no updates from BMW and each time I call I'm passed from one department to another.

Same as but I'm only a 10 days in.

I would imagine a shipment of parts will land together and they'll start picking them off then.

mine was in on Monday but i had to push it back to March 28th, Wife sick so could not get the car in, could have it in sooner but need replacement car so march 28th it is... all; good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Received my letter today. Already have it booked in for 28th March though. The letter says it ‘may develop a leak over its service life’. So if they examine it and there’s no leak are they happy to not replace ? Surely with such a potentially dangerous issue they’ll replace them all. I know I’ll be insisting on a replacement part if there’s even a 1% chance of it developing a leak and catching fire in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Received my letter today. Already have it booked in for 28th March though. The letter says it ‘may develop a leak over its service life’. So if they examine it and there’s no leak are they happy to not replace ? Surely with such a potentially dangerous issue they’ll replace them all. I know I’ll be insisting on a replacement part if there’s even a 1% chance of it developing a leak and catching fire in future.

If a BMW approved technician thinks there's absolutely no issues with it , it's not getting replaced simple as.

If you want to pay the part price and labour to get it replaced if it doesn't need to be replaced I'm sure you can but it would be over a grand anyways.

I wonder is it the same or a more robust part?

If a BMW approved technician thinks there's absolutely no issues with it , it's not getting replaced simple as.

If you want to pay the part price and labour to get it replaced if it doesn't need to be replaced I'm sure you can but it would be over a grand anyways.

The EGR valve has already been replaced under warranty, maybe this will help with getting the cooler replaced also

It’s just shocking that they’re willing to let cars drive out which could potentially develop this leak the following week. Its not like they are going to inspect the cars periodically in future for any signs of a leak. Just because it has no leak at a moment in time doesn’t stop it happening in the future. Guess BMW have done the numbers and are willing to pay out for any future fires rather than replace every part.

The EGR valve has already been replaced under warranty, maybe this will help with getting the cooler replaced also

Not with the recall out , if it doesn't need to be replaced under the recall they aren't going to replace under the warranty, that would just be silly , items only get replaced under warranty if they need replacing ..

It’s just shocking that they’re willing to let cars drive out which could potentially develop this leak the following week. Its not like they are going to inspect the cars periodically in future for any signs of a leak. Just because it has no leak at a moment in time doesn’t stop it happening in the future. Guess BMW have done the numbers and are willing to pay out for any future fires rather than replace every part.

Any part can fail at anytime , your timing chains could tested today be fine and fail a few years later , you'd hardly go back and say hey you said it was fine.

If there is no issues with cooler now that doesn't mean some might not occur in a few years time , you can't prevent something like that

Any part can fail at anytime , your timing chains could tested today be fine and fail a few years later , you'd hardly go back and say hey you said it was fine.

If there is no issues with cooler now that doesn't mean some might not occur in a few years time , you can't prevent something like that

It’s different in this case. They know there’s a safety design flaw in the part. It’s not like saying any part could fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

This is a safety issue though.

If a timing chain goes your car won't go up in a fireball.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Xcellor wrote: »

...but if a timing chain goes whilst driving on the motorway?

• Advertisement

Xcellor wrote: »

That's is being checked and if it doesn't need replacing ..

Advertisement