Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

That's is being checked and if it doesn't need replacing ..

I don't understand. A safety recall is a company recalling a product because it is not safe, doesn't comply with safety standards or is a potential risk.

Surely all of these parts should be replaced, whether they're leaking or not. Would the driver themselves know if it's leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I am booked on the 15th. If I "Pass" and the part is not changed but it then fails on the 16th - who is liable? Or if it fails a week /month later etc? What time period needs to elapse to absolve them of responsibility?

If the parts are defective, then they should all be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's my understanding that if they give the all clear and the issue arises it's up to them due to giving it the all clear. If they originally accept responsibility then I don't see how it can be transferred to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

It's my understanding that if they give the all clear and the issue arises it's up to them due to giving it the all clear. If they originally accept responsibility then I don't see how it can be transferred to the owner.

take your "understanding" to court, and see what the judge thinks!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

I got a letter about the recall earlier this week. I called the dealership and was told to call the breakdown assistance number on the letter. I was also told I am entitled to a replacement car while mine is being worked on, it could be for up to 2 weeks. Anyone else told this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

What their strategy seems to be is: We cant get enough egr valves so we will replace only the leaking ones and take our chances with the others, I would be insisting on replacement

Alerium wrote: »
    I got a letter about the recall earlier this week. I called the dealership and was told to call the breakdown assistance number on the letter. I was also told I am entitled to a replacement car while mine is being worked on, it could be for up to 2 weeks. Anyone else told this?

Yeah, a month ago. My car is still in a holding area, no idea of when it will be repaired or even sent to the dealer. Still driving a piece of crap that rattles and roars and uses double the fuel my own car uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

4 weeks and 4 days in - not a word from the dealer. We will be calling them this week for an update.

One concerning point is that our insurance company has said they will only cover the rental car for 2 more weeks. What happens if the car is still not fixed by then. Will we have to pay out of our own pocket to transfer the insurance, or will BMW cover the cost?

This whole thing is a mess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Pops_20 wrote: »
    4 weeks and 4 days in - not a word from the dealer. We will be calling them this week for an update.

One concerning point is that our insurance company has said they will only cover the rental car for 2 more weeks. What happens if the car is still not fixed by then. Will we have to pay out of our own pocket to transfer the insurance, or will BMW cover the cost?

This whole thing is a mess really.

Would BMW cover the hire car if you book one yourself, I mean usually if you hire a car - its insured in its own right????.*

*I'm not sure what you mean when you say "they will only cover the rental car for two more weeks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Old diesel wrote: »
    Would BMW cover the hire car if you book one yourself, I mean usually if you hire a car - its insured in its own right????.*

*I'm not sure what you mean when you say "they will only cover the rental car for two more weeks".

My insurance company have said they could need a letter from the garage if i need to extend the insurance again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

BMW organised a hire car through Europcar, but we had to transfer our own insurance from the BMW to this car. The hire car is covered by our own personal policy.

My insurance company have said they could need a letter from the garage if i need to extend the insurance again

My point is that usually if you book the hire car in your own name it should come with its OWN insurance.

There might be extra payments for collision wiever or cover for the excess.

There shouldnt be a need for the rental car to be covered by your own insurance - I presume BMW booking the cars is complicating matters.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    BMW organised a hire car through Europcar, but we had to transfer our own insurance from the BMW to this car. The hire car is covered by our own personal policy.

Apologies I meant to say would BMW cover the cost of a hire car you booked yourself.

Edit

The wider car hire set up would be totally unworkable if every hirer had to supply own insurance.

I mean think American tourists, Italian businessmen, people, people who don't own a car etc.

Headscratcher really.

Onto the “customer care” again this afternoon. Still nothing but “we don’t know” and “our managers don’t speak to customers”. Over 4 weeks later and no idea when I will have my car back. I think I am going to drop out to their head office and refuse to leave until I get an answer. The lack of help from them is by far the most frustrating part.

red petal wrote: »
    Yeah, a month ago. My car is still in a holding area, no idea of when it will be repaired or even sent to the dealer. Still driving a piece of crap that rattles and roars and uses double the fuel my own car uses.

Did you call breakdown assistance? What did you say? Thanks

Did you call breakdown assistance? What did you say? Thanks

Yes, they are the ones that took my car. They said it would be a max of 2 weeks at the time. 4+ weeks later, it's still sitting in a holding bay somewhere.

red petal wrote: »
    Yes, they are the ones that took my car. They said it would be a max of 2 weeks at the time. 4+ weeks later, it's still sitting in a holding bay somewhere.

Did they bring you a car when they collected yours? Who organised the insurance and all the admin? Did you have to pay the insurance transfer fee?

Did they bring you a car when they collected yours? Who organised the insurance and all the admin? Did you have to pay the insurance transfer fee?

They took my car on a Saturday morning and had no car available till Monday morning. They dropped it to my workplace and I called my insurance to change over temporarily. I haven't been charged any fees yet but they did say if I extend any longer than 4 weeks, there will be an admin charge of €15 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If you ring BMW they will explain everything to you,you will just have to transfer your policy to the car you are given its a very simple process and most insurance companies don't charge a transfer fee as far as im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

prezes_a wrote: »
    Im from Waterford and my car is in the BMW garage 4weeks today,they still dont now when my car will be fixed

I am sure that's a pleasant experience (NOT), absolute worst service I have ever experienced from any main dealer anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

My car is booked into Waterford soon, not by choice but for convenience as its close to where both of us work. Was told they needed the car for the day....fair enough. Asked about a loan car, none available I was told....tough Sh*te really.

Rang BMW Ireland, was told that there is no issue getting a loan car so they put me on hold, then all of a sudden I was talking to a lovely girl in the UK who advised that it was up to the local BMW garage to supply a car if available and apologised that no loan cars were available. She said if I had arranged a replacement car at the time of the recall booking they would have had one for me.

Trying not to be smart, I asked her should that not be down to the service centre to arrange the loan car. Like they knew 6 weeks previous when they took the booking for the recall that they would need my car for the day but I would also need a car for the day so a little bit of joining the dots by BMW would have meant for a better customer service experience.

So now, I have to drop kids to school, then drop car to BMW, then get someone to pick me up, then I have to hire a car for the day at my expense and sit by the phone waiting for BMW centre to call me. The whole idea of buying a car is to use it everyday, like we depend on them, that's why we buy them. The idea that we can just drop off the car at a BMW service centre and be told to be on our merry way on foot is crazy. I thought buying into a premium brand would be a good experience....how wrong I was!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When I booked mine in ages ago I asked for a replacement car. On the day I rang to make sure there was one there only to be told that there wasn't. Had to get my girlfriend to drive over with me and over and back again when I collected it afterwards.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Dropped mine (131 F10) into Waterford this morning, and was also told they needed the car for the day - I asked the service team how many impounds they had on the lot, and was told "more than 50" which are waiting on the part. No mention or offer of a rental, so I was waiting for the callback before I was going to insist. My car was also flagged for an Aircon issue too, the girl mentioned it would be checked as well.

I got the call back at 5, turns out my car wasn't affected and could I come and collect please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Just received a call from dealers. Appointment I’ve made (since early feb) for late March has to be pushed back to late May now as they can’t get enough stock of the parts. It sounds like damage limitation. She said that if they judge the part needs replacing it’s currently taking 6 weeks to get it. Said they’re replacing approx 6 of them per day at the minute at that dealership alone . Sounds like a widespread issue

Just received a call from dealers. Appointment I’ve made (since early feb) for late March has to be pushed back to late May now as they can’t get enough stock of the parts. It sounds like damage limitation. She said that if they judge the part needs replacing it’s currently taking 6 weeks to get it. Said they’re replacing approx 6 of them per day at the minute at that dealership alone . Sounds like a widespread issue

Well that's a headscratcher.

Is that a change of policy at BMW - the policy seemed to be that youd go in for that late March appointment - EGR checked and if it failed - you'd get a rental.

Sounds to me like BMW are saying right we dont want to give Hardtochoose a rental from late March to late May - so we will delay the inspection.

Sounds like the built up of cars in yards/compounds is proving a problem for BMW as is rental costs.

They can't exactly turn around to a customer and say take your car back unfixed as "safety" was the justification for taking the car into storage in first place.

Still at least 6 a day are being replaced in that dealer - that's a positive as it at least means....

A) some cars are getting back to owners fixed.

B) a supply chain for the part is operational - part been made and going out to dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is there a VIN checker for this? or is there an email address to check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Www.Bmwservice.ie

Input your reg and mileage and it’ll pop up if the recall affects your vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Well that's a headscratcher.

Is that a change of policy at BMW - the policy seemed to be that youd go in for that late March appointment - EGR checked and if it failed - you'd get a rental.

Sounds to me like BMW are saying right we dont want to give Hardtochoose a rental from late March to late May - so we will delay the inspection.

Sounds like the built up of cars in yards/compounds is proving a problem for BMW as is rental costs.

They can't exactly turn around to a customer and say take your car back unfixed as "safety" was the justification for taking the car into storage in first place.

Still at least 6 a day are being replaced in that dealer - that's a positive as it at least means....

A) some cars are getting back to owners fixed.

B) a supply chain for the part is operational - part been made and going out to dealers

Has anyone here got their car back yet with a new egr cooler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

9935452 wrote: »
    Has anyone here got their car back yet with a new egr cooler ?

I had mine replaced in December. Left it overnight and collected it the following afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 doran2436

Hi my car has been in a BMW dealers for over 4 weeks now i have a rental i30. There still is no update for when the car will be ready. They have 16 cars there all waiting on the part

Advertisement