Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum age for car rental?

• 31-01-2019 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello All,

Could any of you please advise what is the minimum age you have to be before you can rent a car here?

Do different rental companies have different ages?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello All,

Could any of you please advise what is the minimum age you have to be before you can rent a car here?

Do different rental companies have different ages?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Generally the age is 25 but I think Sixt allow you from 21 years old and on.

Please note that anyone who allows you to rent under the age of 25 will charge a young driver charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Thanks TCawley29 .... i will follow it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Yes typically 25 year old, full license only, credit card (no debit or prepaid cards). All that together is not very customer friendly. Remebre to pay the big deposit too

Also that you have to have held the full license for a certain amount of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the rental company's insurance carrier that generally insists on these restrictions.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's the rental company's insurance carrier that generally insists on these restrictions.

Maybe it varies company to company but when I was in contact with Avis/Budget about getting the likes of an Audi A4 they said no because I was only 25. Insurance wasn't even an issue as I was going to be using my credit card's insurance anyways.

Sixt have no problem giving me these cars regardless of whether I use their insurance or my credit card insurance

I thought car rental companies insist on you at least taking out their basic insurance cover on the car? And you have the option of covering the excess and other cover yourself?

I thought car rental companies insist on you at least taking out their basic insurance cover on the car? And you have the option of covering the excess and other cover yourself?

Only if you book through the irish sites.

I can book through any us site and use my credit cards insurance, even when renting in Ireland. (Some credit card companies do not cover Ireland but mine does).

Also I know for a fact this works as I did it over the christmas

Thanks, I mainly only rented through the company I work for as they get a really good rate. Their rates usually includes full insurance cover including excess cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

rented a car when i was 21, had to transfer my own insurance onto theirs as i was under 25 that was the only way they could do it, and the company themselves spoke directly to the insurers to make sure of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I mainly only rented through the company I work for as they get a really good rate. Their rates usually includes full insurance cover including excess cover.

Yeah different strokes different folks and all that.

Its a pain leaving the 5k deposit alright but soon forgotten at the same time :)

I never use the corporate booking myself as Sixt always come in cheaper than anyone else for the premium cars.
    Also nobody else will give me the premium cars as I'm only 25 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Only if you book through the irish sites.

I can book through any us site and use my credit cards insurance, even when renting in Ireland. (Some credit card companies do not cover Ireland but mine does).

Also I know for a fact this works as I did it over the christmas

Do you live in the US and have a US based credit card? I suspect what happens is that part of your contract is that the rental company accepts a claim of subrogation against your credit card insurance. The rental company's Irish insurance would still be on the hook, i.e. any one claiming would still claim through them. That option would not be open to an Irish resident. The US credit card insurance would not satisfy the requirements for the Road Traffic Act here on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Marcusm wrote: »
    Do you live in the US and have a US based credit card? I suspect what happens is that part of your contract is that the rental company accepts a claim of subrogation against your credit card insurance. The rental company's Irish insurance would still be on the hook, i.e. any one claiming would still claim through them. That option would not be open to an Irish resident. The US credit card insurance would not satisfy the requirements for the Road Traffic Act here on its own.

They would as this is not third party part of insurance we are talking about. All cars rented in Ireland are insured, it is just the part known as comprehensive and excess insurance that is covered by credit card providers or other "external" insurers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

w211 wrote: »
    Yes typically 25 year old, full license only, credit card (no debit or prepaid cards). All that together is not very customer friendly. Remebre to pay the big deposit too

Some companies do accept debit cards.
    enterprise is one .

A friend hired off eurocar and used his debit card last year

9935452 wrote: »
    Some companies do accept debit cards.
    enterprise is one .

A friend hired off eurocar and used his debit card last year

Enterprice did not accept my debit card several years ago. It was 10 years ago, when they accepted the debit cards. Different branches may have bit different rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I used debit card for car rentals in Ireland for years, but that only worked because my debit card didn't actually say on it that it was debit card (there was no Debit written beside Mastercard logo).
    They all accepted it, but each one of rental companies I rented from always stipulated it must be credit card.

It is written by numbers, is it debit or credit card. Soon as they enter the card number to the system it shows the the full story. The closest look for the credit card are prepaid cards but even these does not go trough. Only the car rental companies are really stupid, they do not release that, there is possible to set a limit for the credit card. They never get over the limit, so id you have a accident and you set the limit they can not get their money by easy way. So who ever made these rules on car rental companies, they are really ****

They can not take 800eur what ever was the max. They can take only the deposit part, no more. If you set the max limit only the deposit value, they must process by hard way or even lose the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They can not take 800eur what ever was the max. They can take only the deposit part, no more. If you set the max limit only the deposit value, they must process by hard way or even lose the money.

They will pre-authorise the full amount of the excess if you dont take out full insurance with them.

They will pre-authorise the full amount of the excess if you dont take out full insurance with them.
    Be reasonable, they can not take over 1000eur for deposit. I do not know what is now the deposit rate but back on the days it was 250eur. Then is reasonable to buy the any junk car by that price and drive until wheels falls off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Be reasonable, they can not take over 1000eur for deposit. I do not know what is now the deposit rate but back on the days it was 250eur. Then is reasonable to buy the any junk car by that price and drive until wheels falls off.

car hire companies dont do reasonable. They will take pre-authorise over a 1000 if you take their car. The last car hire i did 8 months ago they wanted £1250 upfront as a deposit.

Definitely been a while since you've rented so.

If you do not take the rental companies insurance in Ireland the deposit is 5000 euro.

If you take the basic insurance your deposit could be anywhere from 1500 euro and up depending on what type of car you ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Enterprice did not accept my debit card several years ago. It was 10 years ago, when they accepted the debit cards. Different branches may have bit different rules

I rented off enterprise a week ago and was given the option of using my debit card

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Definitely been a while since you've rented so.

If you do not take the rental companies insurance in Ireland the deposit is 5000 euro.

If you take the basic insurance your deposit could be anywhere from 1500 euro and up depending on what type of car you ask for.
    True, I did not used their services already years.

Advertisement