Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avg. Electric bill for an all electric 1 bed apartment?

Options
  • 31-01-2019 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what they pay on avg. monthly/bimonthly for their electricity (including elec heating) on a 1 bed flat?

I've moved into a really great 1 bed on my own, lovely landlord, no complaints - except one. I have a coin meter for my electricity :confused: By talking to the LL it doesn't sound like he'd be up for changing it, so I'm trying to work out how much more expensive it'll be than having my own bill.

It's a hard place to heat and I work from home, so I'm running at about 3euro per day at the moment. Which is 90 per months / 180 every 2 months. Now that's with the heating on for 6-7 hours a day (because it's fcuking freezing right now, like when I put on the heater first it clocks the temp at around 4 degrees). Washing machine & dryer are covered by the LL as they're shared. I also have an immersion for the hot water/shower. The heat is definitely what will drive it up I reckon.

I absolutely love the place and location and was very lucky to get it, so I'm not going to fixate on this too much. But I was living in a bigger house previous to this so I'm not sure what the avg bill would be for a 1 bed and just want to make sure there's not a gigantic difference!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

90 a month during the winter seems pretty fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Sounds like their under charging you to be honest with electric heaters on 6 or 7 hours a day.

Your definitly not overpaying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The meter is definitely more expensive to run. Why doesn't he want you to change it. The new bill would be in your name not his so he would have no liability if you did a runner which could be the only reason as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,909 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My January bill for my electricity (same setup as you) was almost 300 euro.

Last year during the same period it was approx 200. I've since added an extra electric panel heater that would have boosted the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

o1s1n wrote: »

Last year during the same period it was approx 200. I've since added an extra electric panel heater that would have boosted the cost.

:eek::eek::eek: I run a business drawing serious three phase power from the network and I don't spend as much as that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mine is over €200 for a 2 bed.
    Seems a lot.

I'm thinking it's my old style electric immersion heater for the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

turdball wrote: »
    Sounds like their under charging you to be honest with electric heaters on 6 or 7 hours a day.

Your definitly not overpaying

Well I only have two elec heaters and one storage heater. I don't keep the storage heater on much and really only keep the elec heater on in the living area for most of the day. The heating would be on in the bedroom then for around an hour of that time.

That's good to hear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

260 for December - Jan here. 1 bed apt too but it was built in the 80's and we have a young child so we keep the place well heated pretty much all day. Luckily we have a night saver rate, 50% off from 8pm-8am. + my girlfriend is home most days recently as she is unwell so always something else on too.

emeldc wrote: »
    The meter is definitely more expensive to run. Why doesn't he want you to change it. The new bill would be in your name not his so he would have no liability if you did a runner which could be the only reason as I see it.

Ah just hassle I reckon. Everyone else in the house is happy with it (there are a few other flats).

killanena wrote: »
    260 for December - Jan here. 1 bed apt too but it was built in the 80's and we have a young child so we keep the place well heated pretty much all day. Luckily we have a night saver rate, 50% off from 8pm-8am. + my girlfriend is home most days recently as she is unwell so always something else on too.

Yeah this is a flat in an old house so soon as the heat is off it tends to disappear out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Could make a couple of small changes op. I live in a house identical to my MIL. Now granted they have an electric shower but we pay about 60 a month electricity and they pay 120. We swapped to the led bulbs and use all a rated appliances (eg TV). Now granted your time to repay on those things is probably 5 years plus but still it's nice to have smaller monthly bills.

Could make a couple of small changes op. I live in a house identical to my MIL. Now granted they have an electric shower but we pay about 60 a month electricity and they pay 120. We swapped to the led bulbs and use all a rated appliances (eg TV). Now granted your time to repay on those things is probably 5 years plus but still it's nice to have smaller monthly bills.

I don't actually have a TV and I'd mainly use a lamp in the living room. Don't have a microwave either, although I'm in 2 minds about getting one as I'm so used to having one. Haven't really needed it though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 an_fathach

OP Id stress this post.

Are there curtains? If get heavy lined curtains, make sure they touch the floor or if not, the window sill. Curtains should never hang over a radiator. They should be close to the wall, ideally an inch from the glass.

If you have plasterboard walls look at skirting boards. Are there any gaps between them and the wall? Even small gaps can allow a lot of cold air.

an_fathach wrote: »
    OP Id stress this post.

Are there curtains? If get heavy lined curtains, make sure they touch the floor or if not, the window sill. Curtains should never hang over a radiator. They should be close to the wall, ideally an inch from the glass.

If you have plasterboard walls look at skirting boards. Are there any gaps between them and the wall? Even small gaps can allow a lot of cold air.

Yeah, pretty good curtains and they hang to floor. They're not lined but the windows are massive, it'd cost a bomb to get new ones! The walls aren't plasterboard though. I think it's the high ceilings that are doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 an_fathach

Vela wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty good curtains and they hang to floor. They're not lined but the windows are massive, it'd cost a bomb to get new ones! The walls aren't plasterboard though. I think it's the high ceilings that are doing it.
    A landlord might not be keen for new windows. They have a poor return. It is commonly believed that big rooms are hard to heat but it is only true if poorly insulated (air is easy to heat) so there is probably some cold spots there.

an_fathach wrote: »
    A landlord might not be keen for new windows. They have a poor return. It is commonly believed that big rooms are hard to heat but it is only true if poorly insulated (air is easy to heat) so there is probably some cold spots there.

I meant new curtains:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

You could try curtain liners for example from Ikea
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/textiles-rugs/curtains-blinds/glansnäva-curtain-liners-1-pair-light-grey-art-90291288/
    I got lined curtains second hand ,they are amazing
    Also maybe see if you can fit cling film to windows to retain heat
    It actually sounds ok cost wise to me

bleary wrote: »
    You could try curtain liners for example from Ikea
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/textiles-rugs/curtains-blinds/glansnäva-curtain-liners-1-pair-light-grey-art-90291288/
    I got lined curtains second hand ,they are amazing
    Also maybe see if you can fit cling film to windows to retain heat
    It actually sounds ok cost wise to me

I'll have a look, thanks! I like the curtains here at the mo so if anything I'd just get liners.

I wasn't thinking it was mad expensive though, was just posting to get an idea of whether it was an average amount - which it seems to be so happy days :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Why would the meter be costing more to run? There is probably one electric account for the building so it is not a matter of changing the name of the account. A new electric installation would have to be installed and RECI approved for each unit. It would cost the LL 1000s for very little reward. In all likelihood he may not even be passing on the full cost of the electricity to the o/p.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why would the meter be costing more to run? There is probably one electric account for the building so it is not a matter of changing the name of the account. A new electric installation would have to be installed and RECI approved for each unit. It would cost the LL 1000s for very little reward. In all likelihood he may not even be passing on the full cost of the electricity to the o/p.

Yeah there are a few flats! I just wanted to see if it was costing more or if it was the average as i've never had a coin meter before. Looks like it's working out the same though so it's all good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,909 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

:eek::eek::eek: I run a business drawing serious three phase power from the network and I don't spend as much as that.

Yeah I've no idea wtf is going on. Bill was an estimate so I assumed if I took a meter reading it would read a lot lower and I could get credited - the meter is actually reading higher!

Actually speaking of which, I think I'll get onto Energia now to come out and check the meter as there has to be something up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Does your rad have a thermostat ? Changing bulbs etc, unless there are like ten 50 w halogen downlighters in a room , will make barely any difference. It’s the heating of water and space that is the killer! Do you heat the entire apartment when there ? I’d just hear the room you are in op ...

Block any obvious Gaps, like under front door etc if applicable , get those yokes you slide under the door, they can be bought in deals for like 1.50!

Even in the bedroom at night , I’d want the temp to be kept at like eighteen degrees over night...

I used a full electric kettle when doing dishes etc , far cheaper to heat that amount of water by kettle than heating a massive tank ... another good thing I found from working at home during the day. Simply get a big flask and you have boiling water nearly all day , for tea coffee etc from one boil of kettle ...

You can buy led bulbs in dealz, mr price for e1.50

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Does your rad have a thermostat ? Changing bulbs etc, unless there are like ten 50 w halogen downlighters in a room , will make barely any difference. It’s the heating of water and space that is the killer! Do you heat the entire apartment when there ? I’d just hear the room you are in op ...

Block any obvious Gaps, like under front door etc if applicable , get those yokes you slide under the door, they can be bought in deals for like 1.50!

Even in the bedroom at night , I’d want the temp to be kept at like eighteen degrees over night...

I used a full electric kettle when doing dishes etc , far cheaper to heat that amount of water by kettle than heating a massive tank ... another good thing I found from working at home during the day. Simply get a big flask and you have boiling water nearly all day , for tea coffee etc from one boil of kettle ...

I already do most of these things, great minds...:p

I just heat the room I'm in. Thermo is set to knock off at 19degrees but I've never seen it hit that. Rarely goes over 15/16! Like even if I left it on. I wouldn't leave the heater on all night though.

The other heater is a storage heater. No gap under the door to fit anything from what I can see. I also use the kettle for the dishes cause the tank takes forever.

I was mainly wondering if the rate was average though and it seems to be so I'm not massively concerned. Just cold:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You can buy led bulbs in dealz, mr price for e1.50

Jaysus 18 degrees at night in the bedroom? I'd fecking melt ha.

“I just heat the room I'm in. Thermo is set to knock off at 19degrees but I've never seen it hit that. Rarely goes over 15/16! Like even if I left it on. I wouldn't leave the heater on all night though.”

The output of heater simply isn’t enough to heat the room to 19 degrees in that case ...

I set the thermostat to eighteen in the bedroom when I am in family home and at that , I only felt it was not cold , certainly not roasting etc ...

“I just heat the room I'm in. Thermo is set to knock off at 19degrees but I've never seen it hit that. Rarely goes over 15/16! Like even if I left it on. I wouldn't leave the heater on all night though.”

The output of heater simply isn’t enough to heat the room to 19 degrees in that case ...

I set the thermostat to eighteen in the bedroom when I am in family home and at that , I only felt it was not cold , certainly not roasting etc ...

I've really high ceilings so that's prob the case! I just noticed there's a gap at the side of the door though, not under it. Wonder if there's anything I can get for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

o1s1n wrote: »

4 bed house and we would not spend 100 a month even in winter

Vela wrote: »
    I've really high ceilings so that's prob the case! I just noticed there's a gap at the side of the door though, not under it. Wonder if there's anything I can get for that.

Yeah. Self adhesive Foam strips from woodies etc. builders merchant or online...

Stopping draughts is huge. You can’t do much else in your case ...

Yeah. Self adhesive Foam strips from woodies etc. builders merchant or online...

Stopping draughts is huge. You can’t do much else in your case ...

Ah I got an unreal deal for a 1bed in Dublin in this market, so I'm happy to deal with being a bit cold! I'll have a look for those. Might get a fan heater too, just for when it's that bit too cold! Thanks a mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I got one of these a few days ago, just to get my apartment a quick blast of heat during these cold nights / mornings. Heats the room in 4/5 minutes.

Advertisement