Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avg. Electric bill for an all electric 1 bed apartment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

killanena wrote: »
    I got one of these a few days ago, just to get my apartment a quick blast of heat during these cold nights / mornings. Heats the room in 4/5 minutes.

Oh cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I rented a freezing old house for years and suffered through it. It's only since moving into my own I realised a lot of things I could have done to make it better .

If you have single insulation then use cling film on Windows to reduce drafts
    Foam strips around windows doors and attic hatches
    Heavy curtains, you can buy liners or keep an eye on done deal and adverts
    Chimney sheep for open fires
    Seal around doors , floors plug sockets using silicon sealant and decorative fillers.
    Seal around letterboxes with brush strips.
    Attic insulation if you can, woodies had rolls for 16 euro last time I was in
    Then a heated blanket is great if you're sitting in the one spot for a long time .
    Also a damp home seems a lot colder. I used a dehumidifier to dry out the place and it improved hugely. You could ask if anyone has one to borrow and try for a while.

I imagine yours might be a large old house converted to multiple flats always going to be difficult to heat but small changes can improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

killanena wrote: »
    260 for December - Jan here. 1 bed apt too but it was built in the 80's and we have a young child so we keep the place well heated pretty much all day. Luckily we have a night saver rate, 50% off from 8pm-8am. + my girlfriend is home most days recently as she is unwell so always something else on too.

What electricity company is this with? i've only ever seen night saver rates from 11pm to 8am, never for a full 12 hours.

Advertisement