Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making fudge - thermometer?

Options
  • 31-01-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to try making fudge and some recipes swear by using a sugar thermometer. I found a candy thermometer (I assume it's the same as a sugar thermometer), but it cost 35euro :eek: I really can't justify spending that much to try out one recipe that could go disastrously wrong anyway...

I did see a cheap "cooking thermometer" too though. The packaging mentioned using it for jams, sugars and when deep frying. The temperature is from 25-200C. It's only 5euro though... reckon it's a piece of rubbish or better than nothing? :P

I've seen other recipes that don't use a thermometer at all, but recommend the "soft ball" test (putting a drop of the mixture into cold water to see if it forms a ball).

So for those of you who have experience making fudge, what would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I find the drop test can be a bit hit & miss personally.

Bought one of these a few years ago, it's great. If I ever lost it or it broke, I might get a digital one.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/mixing-measuring/tala-jam-thermometer/012556.html

Btw, my mother has one of the brass ones for as long as I can remember, certainly back in the mid 70s, but I find it very hard to read in comparison with the stainless steel one. Looks pretty though!

https://thermometer.co.uk/food-thermometers/1212-brass-sugar-and-jam-thermometer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks a million for that! I was hoping to make the fudge as a Valentines Day present, so don't think I can rely on an online order arriving on time unfortunately :/

This is the cheap one I mentioned that I saw in a shop:
    https://www.kitchencraft.co.uk/categories/preserving/preserving_accessories/cooking_thermometer/easy_read_cooking_thermometer_kcthjam.htm

I actually saw this one too (12.50euro, so not ridiculous) and it looks a lot like the one you linked to:
    https://www.kitchencraft.co.uk/categories/preserving/preserving_accessories/cooking_thermometer/deluxe_stainless_steel_cooking_thermometer_kcjamthdl.htm

Do you reckon the second one would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it is a one off I would try and borrow one.

What temp do you want to measure to? a quick search is talking about 118C for fudge. Way lower than the highest temp of these sugar thermometers.

I have used loads of digital ones, most go to 140-150C max. If you have no need to go very high I would get one of those with a steel probe, as you can use it for testing meat and other stuff.

Either of those kitchencraft thermometers look fine... I'd get the second one myself as it looks easier to read. Remember it's going to be in boiling sugar, and for god's sake, don't get any on your skin!

But, if it's not something you'd do that regularly if try to borrow one.

Home store plus more is a b&m shop with branches all over the country. Pretty sure I've seen them in Dunnes as well, and woodies.

Enjoy your fudge, and you might get bitten by the sweet making bug... Home made sweeties are brilliant presents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I have the 12.50 one, but gave up on it, as ive a digital one which is much easier to use. I like the digital one becuase you can set it to beep, so when it hits 114 (which you should be around the cooker), and when it gets below 60 which takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than you want it to. Definitely, if you can borrow one it's better.
    I also use my digital one for keeping frying oil at the right temp, checking if meat is properly cooked, and making caramels.

Oh, and settling arguments w/ the OH that the house is too cold :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll go for the 12.50 one. Unfortunately I don't know anyone to borrow off and I can't justify getting a more expensive one atm (maybe if I get bit by the sweet making bug :P).

Does it matter what type of pot/pan I use? I have a non-stick pot that would probably be a good size, but I have no idea if there's a risk of things going wrong and I get some sort of hard toffee layer sticking to the pot :/ It's a relatively new pot, so would prefer not to wreck it :P I have another larger pot that I don't mind using/ruining (quite old), but I'm not sure if it'll be deep enough.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll go for the 12.50 one. Unfortunately I don't know anyone to borrow off and I can't justify getting a more expensive one atm (maybe if I get bit by the sweet making bug :P).

Does it matter what type of pot/pan I use? I have a non-stick pot that would probably be a good size, but I have no idea if there's a risk of things going wrong and I get some sort of hard toffee layer sticking to the pot :/ It's a relatively new pot, so would prefer not to wreck it :P I have another larger pot that I don't mind using/ruining (quite old), but I'm not sure if it'll be deep enough.

Hi, I don't have any non stick pans so can't really advise, but I'd say it would be fine.

I've never really experienced an issue with getting a layer of toffee stuck to the bottom of a pan, but a good long soak would sort any problems. Sugar is water soluble after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've heard that making sweets in non-stick pots can cause problems because many non-stick surfaces don't handle high temperatures well, and also that they can make it easier for the sugar to crystallize instead of staying a smooth caramel.

I doubt fudge would cause much of a problem since it's you don't go to a very high heat with it and also crystallization is part of what makes fudge... fudgy! Just in case you want to expand into making other sugar-syrup sweets once you have your thermometer :D

(If it's any help, I started off as a kid years ago trying to make sweets using the old soft ball/hard ball etc. tests and you really do need someone who knows what they should look and feel like to really judge them correctly otherwise you're still kind of guessing . Having a thermometer fixes that problem completely.)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I did this last night and it was a success :) Although my arm was ready to fall off from all the stirring :P

I didn't use the non-stick pan in the end as it wasn't quite big enough. Probabably a good thing too, as the pan I did use got slightly burned in the spot that the thermometer was covering!

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I did this last night and it was a success :) Although my arm was ready to fall off from all the stirring :P

I didn't use the non-stick pan in the end as it wasn't quite big enough. Probabably a good thing too, as the pan I did use got slightly burned in the spot that the thermometer was covering!

Woodchuck, I've seen the photos in the what have you baked lately thread, the fudge looks great, and beautifully presented. A fantastic & very personal Valentine's Day gift.

Thanks a million Speedsie :D And thanks to everyone here for all the advice :)

Advertisement