Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalytic converter theft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cut their welfare?
    Make them work for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Great work AGS, at least it's a start

Great work indeed but for me the takeaway point is how confidant these guys were that they would not be caught.

All that stolen stuff and cash at one location is an indication that they were at it a long time.

When it comes to court we will find out more of the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who's stealing catholics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Cut their welfare?
    Make them work for it.

Ha ha ha :pac:
    oh, wait, you're serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

elperello wrote: »
    Great work indeed but for me the takeaway point is how confidant these guys were that they would not be caught.

All that stolen stuff and cash at one location is an indication that they were at it a long time.

When it comes to court we will find out more of the background.
    Yes, but it's a v positive step, say there's months of patience intelligence gathering involved in that hot on the criminal whures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

One of those looks awfully like a dpf from a mondeo... Why steal that?

obviously doesn't know his dpf from converter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Possibly stolen to order for a crooked connection who needed one.

I've a 2005 Mondeo tdci, would these bits be worth stripping off before scrap it. 306k km on it, fuel pump giving issues otherwise starts every time.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

advertise them on DD and see what type of characters phone you up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

On crimecall the other night 2 shams stole one in broad daylight in a shopping centre car park.

ofcork wrote: »
    On crimecall the other night 2 shams stole one in broad daylight in a shopping centre car park.

Yes, they don't care, they intimidate if needs be, they to anyone passing could be changing a flat as that's what it would look like as nobody really would be thinking.

Next door to my dad's, 3 people walked by on their phones while 2 thugs were breaking into the house, not one looked up off their phones or even noticed, one was trying his best to kick in the door.

yep they're brazen alright,

what's the thing to do if you catch them in the act?

confront them? call the guards? or just let them at it - life's too short?

fryup wrote: »

That's a personal call....
    If safe and numbers stop them but only if safe to do so.
    Photo or video them, call the Garda also yes.

If possible get as much identifying items as possible such as car used, reg, stickers in window etc.
    On persons themselves, clothes, hair colour, shoes, clothing and scars etc

On persons themselves, clothes, hair colour, shoes, clothing and scars etc

well i wouldn't be going so close as to notice scars, as i don't want any myself:)

Depends, they are usually there in numbers, that said, I'd probabaly come swinging at that, boils my piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I know what I’d do if I got near them, <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If you can turn the handle on the jack and drop the car.

At least you'll have one less scumbag in the world

• Advertisement

but one more good citizen in prison

Not happening too much n of the border afaik, certainty not in Derry City,our cultured friends wouldn't be brazen there,the creatures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

They'd nearly be knocking on your door saying
    'Ah here boss will ya gimme suhm-ting back'

ofcork wrote: »

In Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

In Cork?

No...it was in Kilnamanagh in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Came across this video on YouTube the other day. It was in the recommended section while I was watching an Eric the Car Guy video about catalytic converter theft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YZ-Y538WI

This company is in the UK, and I fail to see any other use for the equipment they are selling apart from making catalytic converter theft faster.
    I've seen similar equipment used by the Fire Brigade in car accidents, but the video title says it all - "MAKE MONEY SAVE TIME CUTTING CATALYTIC CONVETERS"

• Advertisement

newmember? wrote: »
    No...it was in Kilnamanagh in Tallaght.

The thieving bastards,I've a hammer inside my front door in case any whure goes near mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is there a video of that one on crimecall?

M

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is there a video of that one on crimecall?
    It's not on Youtube, they also don't allow Crimecall on the Player.

Here's one on a Hybrid Auris in the UK I saw during the week, apparently at 5.30pm, it looks like the owner may have tried to use the slope and parking near the grass to make it harder to rob, then again maybe not. I've never wanted a jack to fail more in my life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Here's one on a Hybrid Auris in the UK I saw during the week, apparently at 5.30pm, it looks like the owner may have tried to use the slope and parking near the grass to make it harder to rob, then again maybe not. I've never wanted a jack to fail more in my life...

I have to laugh at them gingerly closing the car doors so as not to make noise after they just used a very loud angle grinder to get the cat out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cheers.
    Ah no I've seen other videos. I just want that specific video as I know the car owner!
    Looked on RTÉ player and even the Garda website but couldn't find it.

• Advertisement

is it just hybrids that are being targeted?

M

No it's petrols and diesels too but primarily hybrids. Those they are going for are where there's relatively easy access once the car is jacked up.

In most cases the factory fit alarms don't go off so it's only the noise of the angle grinder.

Certain models are worth more hence mostly Toyota or honda hybrid.

These have slightly more of the precious metals which if I'm not mistaken are worth more then gold per weight now.

The scrap industry and shipping needs a huge overhaul. As do courts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Been wondering if there isn't a handy diy fix to make this much harder for thieves. At the moment I assume removal is just cut pipe before and after and off she comes.

Maybe a weld or two, or something a bit smarter.

Could be a new business in the making.

M

I had a look on Youtube recently and it's now rampant in the US and most countries around the world, only getting worse. Is the solution some replaceable filter within the convertor made from cheap material that you would replace annually in the same way as a pollen filter?

Been wondering if there isn't a handy diy fix to make this much harder for thieves. At the moment I assume removal is just cut pipe before and after and off she comes.

Maybe a weld or two, or something a bit smarter.

Could be a new business in the making.

Tilt sensors, ied , 24hr security, etc etc....

These scum bags will take what they want y, if it's easier then they'll take the car.

Ear piercing alarms as soon as car is jacked

In most cases the factory fit alarms don't go off so it's only the noise of the angle grinder.

so much for having an alarm:cool:

Funny, a few of the clips I've seen from the UK feature that same vw golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

If the owner of that car in the clip had of slipped out and pulled the lever on the car lift and injured the thief and then ran back in and took cover in the house calling police etc. (Thief gets broken hip, fractured ribs) I assume the home owner would be open to a massive compensation claim and or criminal charges (attempted murder) from said criminal?

he would, but if he dropped the jack ever so slightly so as to get said toerag stuck underneath the car and then call the police it would be a better tactic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Certain models are worth more hence mostly Toyota or honda hybrid.

These have slightly more of the precious metals which if I'm not mistaken are worth more then gold per weight now.iiikjiupooii88op

The scrap industry and shipping needs a huge overhaul. As do courts etc.

I know a lad who deals in scrap , he goes up north with some stuff n to dublin with the rest. Up north Id is required and paid by cheque in his name. In dublin you get cash going out the gate, great job for the lad on the dole. Very easily changed but no one can be bothered.

If the owner of that car in the clip had of slipped out and pulled the lever on the car lift and injured the thief and then ran back in and took cover in the house calling police etc. (Thief gets broken hip, fractured ribs) I assume the home owner would be open to a massive compensation claim and or criminal charges (attempted murder) from said criminal?

They fixed those laws in the uk if i remember, after some lad breaking in through a skylight fell and broke a leg only to sue the owners.

Then again that info could have been from the daily mail so wouldn't be sure

If i caught one outside my house, the large pinch bar to the tail bone would happen, no matter the consequences. Hurt them enough so they can leave but ensure somethings broken. These dirt bags get no time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Mine got robbed last month in D12..... its a 98 honda civic 1.4 :D:D.... a new one from the motor factors was 85 quid. Was it even worth it is my question

Mine got robbed last month in D12..... its a 98 honda civic 1.4 :D:D.... a new one from the motor factors was 85 quid. Was it even worth it is my question

Ah the joys of a civic (miss mine) cheap as chips top fix anything, few spanners will do half the jobs.

What a great machine.

We all know who's doing this, but the powes that be state you can not say who it is.

We all know who's doing this, but the powes that be state you can not say who it is.

The bosses who instead of going job to job
    Go rob to rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Ah the joys of a civic (miss mine) cheap as chips top fix anything, few spanners will do half the jobs.

What a great machine.

9 years i have her and paid €1250 for her. Second owner and only 100k miles her now. Never gave an ounce of trouble. 1 nct fail in all that time on a brake line.

9 years i have her and paid €1250 for her. Second owner and only 100k miles her now. Never gave an ounce of trouble. 1 nct fail in all that time on a brake line.

I stay with Honda last year's decent frugal and reliable ( imports)
    Went to suzuki for a few months but back to Honda

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D Sweet. Another 98 Honda owner. And yeah generally stuff is cheap as chips for them when they go wrong and they rarely go wrong anyway. In the last few days I've heard of two cars targetted near enough to me, so maybe I'll just decat my car and pop it back in for the annual NCT. I mean if the authorities aren't apparently willing to crack down on this with legislation around scrapyards and police work, why should I give a toss?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D Sweet. Another 98 Honda owner. And yeah generally stuff is cheap as chips for them when they go wrong and they rarely go wrong anyway. In the last few days I've heard of two cars targetted near enough to me, so maybe I'll just decat my car and pop it back in for the annual NCT. I mean if the authorities aren't apparently willing to crack down on this with legislation around scrapyards and police work, why should I give a toss?

Simple straight through pipe replacement wi work alright

Simple solution to the issue, some smell off your car though

Advertisement