Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalytic converter theft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Not in Ireland, cheapest possible in 2008 was €100 which was up to 120g/C02. Right now up to 120g/CO2 is €200.

The second part of 2008 introduction of co2 emission road tax.
    70 or 75 euro first couple of year.
    in 2021 Band B2 131 to 140g/km €280 but since she pay every 6 month just over 300.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/41c9cc-motor-tax-rates/#motor-tax-rates-2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

markmoto wrote: »
    The second part of 2008 introduction of co2 emission road tax.
    70 or 75 euro first couple of year.
    in 2021 Band B2 131 to 140g/km €280 but since she pay every 6 month just over 300.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/41c9cc-motor-tax-rates/#motor-tax-rates-2021

€100 was the cheapest, there were only 7 bands, your link is from a 2019 issued document showing a reviewed tax system. If her car is 131/140 her rate would have been €150 in 2008 and the very same price now.

Original rates here...
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If the criminals are allowed operate without fear of consequence they'll continue to operate. A battery pack sold on the black market or broken up for precious metals will be just as attractive to the criminals.
    This is organised crime in a Country where there is little law enforcement.

The cops do their part but the courts don't
    Banned Donegal driver with 339 previous convictions caught again https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/04/16/banned-donegal-driver-with-339-previous-convictions-caught-again/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭deadduck

Banned Donegal driver with 339 previous convictions caught again https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/04/16/banned-donegal-driver-with-339-previous-convictions-caught-again/

I’ve often wondered why cases like this don’t prompt the guards to take some sort of action (strike/blue flu/etc.) 339 previous convictions, caught bang to rights driving while pissed and without insurance (while already disqualified from driving to boot), and the judge still is still reluctant to impose a custodial sentence. Its such a waste of the police’s time and resources, and is surely demoralising too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This tool again.... Isn't he responsible for death/s too.

deadduck wrote: »
    I’ve often wondered why cases like this don’t prompt the guards to take some sort of action (strike/blue flu/etc.) 339 previous convictions, caught bang to rights driving while pissed and without insurance (while already disqualified from driving to boot), and the judge still is still reluctant to impose a custodial sentence. Its such a waste of the police’s time and resources, and is surely demoralising too

But sure his wife has stated she will keep him in check... Isn't that enough....

deadduck wrote: »
    I’ve often wondered why cases like this don’t prompt the guards to take some sort of action (strike/blue flu/etc.) 339 previous convictions, caught bang to rights driving while pissed and without insurance, and the judge still is still reluctant to impose a custodial sentence. Its such a waste of the polices time and resources, and is surely demoralising too

Nearly every week the local paper covers court cases, the same names keep popping up , that report is just an example there's plenty more or less the same, there was one last week where guy got bail even though he'd 14 previous bench warrants issued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭deadduck

Nearly every week the local paper covers court cases, the same names keep popping up , that report is just an example there's plenty more or less the same, there was one last week where guy got bail even though he'd 14 previous bench warrants issued

The cynic in me says that it’s the legal system feathering it’s own nest with the recurring free legal aid costs, I can’t see who else’s interests are being served by these judges letting serial offenders like this walk free.

But that’s probably enough of that, don’t want to derail the thread completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes I've heard that there's shortages of supply too so even if you have the €1k plus to replace what's stolen you could be looking at not being able to use your car for 4-6 weeks waiting for the replacement to come in.

Yes, and maybe have the replacement stolen too....manufacturers have to start changing the design to make them harder to remove, box them in by placing
    a protective heavy plate around them chassis to chassis. I know that the angle grinder will cut through any plating, but it will for sure slow them down. and even dissuade them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Judges were solicitors once.

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, and maybe have the replacement stolen too....manufacturers have to start changing the design to make them harder to remove, box them in by placing
    a protective heavy plate around them chassis to chassis. I know that the angle grinder will cut through any plating, but it will for sure slow them down. and even dissuade them.

Milwaukee battery grinder is a magical little tool, lot of heat from a Cat ,needs space to disperse, covering it won't be practical, moving it forward to the front pipe is probably the best solution

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

And there OP you have nailed the issue.
    339 convictions = multiples of 339 appearances in court . Remands , delays etc ,etc .
    Meanwhile our " Learned friends " in the legal system with their snouts stuck firmly in the through continue to defend the indefensible :mad:

M

Meanwhile our " Learned friends " in the legal system with their snouts stuck firmly in the through continue to defend the indefensible :mad:

Free legal aid should be suspended too when you have been found guilty in 3 previous court cases you have used it for, after that you represent yourself or let your uncle who watches Matlock represent you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Milwaukee battery grinder is a magical little tool, lot of heat from a Cat ,needs space to disperse, covering it won't be practical, moving it forward to the front pipe is probably the best solution

Hard to beat the mini-angle grinder for sure, but there's ways to make it more difficult for the thieves. See https://heycar.co.uk/guides/best-ways-to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft
    Like theft everywhere, if they really want it, they will stop at nothing to get it, but will always take the soft option when available. And CAT theft is time critical.

Free legal aid should be suspended too when you have been found guilty in 3 previous court cases you have used it for, after that you represent yourself or let your uncle who watches Matlock represent you.

Does anyone get refused legal aid?

M

If they had significant cash in their bank account to cover the costs they would be, it's very rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes they do if they are assessed as having sufficient means to pay their own legal costs.

Our free legal aid system while often abused is a quite enlightened way of providing proper representation in court for the less well off.

Prior to it's introduction the hapless poor were often victims of the court process simply because they were not properly represented.

Of course it is a given that many recipients are habitual lawbreakers.

In my opinion it is better to suffer the non deserving cases than to return to a system where people end up in court without a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

elperello wrote: »
    Yes they do if they are assessed as having sufficient means to pay their own legal costs.

Our free legal aid system while often abused is a quite enlightened way of providing proper representation in court for the less well off.

Prior to it's introduction the hapless poor were often victims of the court process simply because they were not properly represented.

Of course it is a given that many recipients are habitual lawbreakers.

In my opinion it is better to suffer the non deserving cases than to return to a system where people end up in court without a solicitor.

The problem with that is, most ordinary decent people could not realistically afford it, so a tax paying citizen is not entitles to legal aid.
    In my opinion, if someone who welches off the State, is a habitual criminal or even someone who does not have the means and likely doesnt contribute much tax can be afforded free legal aid, then in some circumstances so should a tax paying citizen, or at least there should be some option to limit the costs.
    In any case, anyone who needs to use free legal aid so much is a huge red flag and anyone with a series of offences, in particular repeat offences should be treated with a dim view and afforded no sympathy or opportunity to express regret, its just pointless.
    I am a bit surprised that the Judiciary in the North are as bad, reading that the person mentioned above was caught across the border, I was hopeful he was going to have the book thrown at him, apparently not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

Good result, now throw the book at them.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1385309415302107139

Only took the guards 5 years to track down these masterminds.

M

That's some haul, great result for the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Only took the guards 5 years to track down these masterminds.
    It seems like little recycling factory. God first industrialization step in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Good result, now throw the book at them.

and now give them back to their rightful owners (if that's possible)

Absolutely ridiculous, it's a poor show it really is....

Gubernment and courts have a lot to answer for....

It seems the hot topics of the media though is anything woke and now that schools will be putting in gender fluid toilets or unisex ones etc....

This haul is phenomenal, but it is too little and way too late what's been done.

These raids should have been going on for years, it's not a new thing where they go after the cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Are there any solutions being provided by the car manufacturers to prevent this theft or have you any good ideas yourselves about how to protect your car from catalytic converter theft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most have moved the catalytic converter from the middle of the car to up front where it is way harder to get to. They’ve also used less precious metals than say 20 years ago.

The cars you see cats being stolen from the most are a combination of high precious metal content and very easy access to the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

You can install a protective plate around the catalytic converter for around €150. Few garages in Dublin doing it.

You can also install a tilt/lift alarm so when the car is jacked up the alarm will sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

bait cars where the cat is structural and the car splits in half and mushes whoever is under the car at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Straight pipes are the answer to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Straight pipes of course,

but failing that:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/282395004502?hash=item41c00dce56:g:BXsAAOSwTM5Ytpt~

These work very well in my experience - not sure if they're as tempting to thieves who might just see it as a decat and I can't see the metals being terribly valuable in these seeing as the purchase price is cheap af.

Remove factory cat > install one of these > sell factory cat = profit?

• Advertisement
    M

bait cars where the cat is structural and the car splits in half and mushes whoever is under the car at the time

Crowd funded by car enthusiasts with webcams setup nearbye to capture the action :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I was tempted myself to keep my factory original one in storage, but I've known a couple of people who've used these cats(some their old cat just failed, the rest were nicked) and they didn't last long. Passed one NCT and that was it kinda thing. I've read similar across forums.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A scan of Photo ID required for all sales to scrap yards and need to keep all purchases traceable for a week Require proof of purchase a new cat when selling a cat for scrap. If the photo ID or new cat receipt is fake then the scrapper is responsible for the theft.

If you remove the buyers then there is no theft.

M

Tomorrow the guy charged with the theft of €2.2million's worth of catalytic converts is before the courts, hopefully the outcome will feature in the news.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-seize-2-150-stolen-catalytic-converters-in-haul-worth-2-2-million-1.4545146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Straight pipes are the answer to this

This. Keep your cat and swap it in for the NCT. If you're any way mechanically handy you could do this yourself on the driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Damien360

Del2005 wrote: »
    A scan of Photo ID required for all sales to scrap yards and need to keep all purchases traceable for a week Require proof of purchase a new cat when selling a cat for scrap. If the photo ID or new cat receipt is fake then the scrapper is responsible for the theft.

If you remove the buyers then there is no theft.

This is actually happening for ESB wires. There are regular patrols of scrap yards to look for stolen ESB reels (the big ones you see on spool). God help the scrap dealer that has that on site. Makes it untouchable. Now when Joe bloggs gets his Cat converter stolen, nobody is going to bother the scrap dealer for a couple of them. It’s all about enforcement or lack of it.

I'd be more then delighted to give up a day of my time to sit waiting, on the porch, rocking chair, few beers and that's all I ask....

Wibbs wrote: »
    I was tempted myself to keep my factory original one in storage, but I've known a couple of people who've used these cats(some their old cat just failed, the rest were nicked) and they didn't last long. Passed one NCT and that was it kinda thing. I've read similar across forums.

Really?

I've had one on the Caldina for a few years now, car runs rich as hell and is constantly throwing out bangs and flames and has passed 4 emissions tests and counting with 1.00 lambda readings - I swear by it to be honest, you mostly only ever hear the bad reviews about things...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I swear by it to be honest, you mostly only ever hear the bad reviews about things...
    That part is true alright, but good to hear it's worked well for you, especially with running rich etc. My original one died after a sparkplug failed and more petrol went out the back, or at least that's what my mechanic reckoned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That part is true alright, but good to hear it's worked well for you, especially with running rich etc. My original one died after a sparkplug failed and more petrol went out the back, or at least that's what my mechanic reckoned.

That's unfortunate, I had a dead coil at one point, and dead o2 sensor at another and thought they would kill it, maybe I'm just lucky as hell :D

I guess my experience should be viewed with others in mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Expect the "came from a bad family, had it tough, plays for local GAA team"

Suspended sentence :mad:

Don’t worry, hopefully he’s eligible to play for mountjoy round towers soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Expect the "came from a bad family, had it tough, plays for local GAA team"

Funny how the exact opposite works as well:

"Comes from a very respectable family... played rugby for... employment history... references... oh and can make a substantial donation to the court poor box"

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Three men arrested in Limerick over to attempted theft of catalytic converter
    https://www.thejournal.ie/three-men-arrested-catalytic-converter-attempted-theft-5437177-May2021/

Not great for the poor owner :(
    The men were disturbed, smashed the windscreen of the car, and left the scene in a red Volkswagen car.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Three men arrested in Limerick over to attempted theft of catalytic converter
    https://www.thejournal.ie/three-men-arrested-catalytic-converter-attempted-theft-5437177-May2021/

Not great for the poor owner :(
    The men were disturbed, smashed the windscreen of the car, and left the scene in a red Volkswagen car.

****, catch them in the act and they do more damage to you for it.

I hope their jack fails next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Stole from wifes car today... was parked at her workplace.. its an older car so we thought it was just exhaust done for.. drove to local garage and they just phoned me to say convertor was cut from car and oxygen sensor was taped off.. kinda gobsmacked... as its a pretty open car park where it happened with lots of people around.. quoted 700 euro for repair.. car probably only worth 2k... will insurance be any help? have comprehensive

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stole from wifes car today... was parked at her workplace.. its an older car so we thought it was just exhaust done for.. drove to local garage and they just phoned me to say convertor was cut from car and oxygen sensor was taped off.. kinda gobsmacked... as its a pretty open car park where it happened with lots of people around.. quoted 700 euro for repair.. car probably only worth 2k... will insurance be any help? have comprehensive
    Feckers :mad:
    Any CCTV of the car park?
    Doubtful that insurance would cover it but anyhow, you would lose your no claims bonus so probably not worth the hassle regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Feckers :mad:
    Any CCTV of the car park?
    Doubtful that insurance would cover it but anyhow, you would lose your no claims bonus so probably not worth the hassle regardless.

Might have no claims bonus protection. Will check it out

Don't fit new unless spurious, see can you get one second hand 1st such as off a crashed one in breakers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't fit new unless spurious, see can you get one second hand 1st such as off a crashed one in breakers.
    Depending on the breaker, Mick might even be reunited with his cat :pac:

• Advertisement

Depending on the breaker, Mick might even be reunited with his cat :pac:

Well there is always that risk ;-)

Advertisement