Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x03 - "Point of Light" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Rawr wrote: »
    Tilly: She was my favourite in Season 1...yet this season they somehow managed to retool her into Jar-Jar Binks levels of annoyance. Her interaction with the Spore hallucination was cringe-worthy and the camera work when she appears was headache inducing. Also what used to be charming about her is now just way over the top.

Season 2 Tilly feels like the writers over-reacting to how popular she was with the audience in S1 - "People liked Tilly so let's dial her up to 11".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Season 2 Tilly feels like the writers over-reacting to how popular she was with the audience in S1 - "People liked Tilly so let's dial her up to 11".

In fairness shes going through stuff atm which is the cause of the dialling up of the Tillyness . Stuff that would normally be dealt with in one episode in previous shows. Long form storytelling drawback is that any missteps can be drawn out over multiple episodes. So hopefully once the ghost spore thing runs its course she'll settle back down again. If they keep finding ways to make her hyper Tilly then I'll begin to worry .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

If they keep finding ways to make her hyper Tilly then I'll begin to worry .

This is my fear too. "Classic Tilly" was charming but more importantly I feel that she grounded the situation a bit. She felt like an ordinary person trying to fit into an extraordinary situation. She was flawed, but in the ways that most people are. She's trying to find her place in StarFleet, and I felt that I was follwing her in support of this. She'll work her way up to Officer and it will be good to witness that growth.

"New Tilly" (Or hopefully just "Spore Tilly"), is not this. She appears to streamroll over experienced bridge staff or co-op an entire shuttlebay for a scheme she just cooked up. I get a sense of her asserting herself as a senior bridge officer by vurtue of "mania" (and the volume of her voice), rather than working her way up there.

If this was all down to the spores. Fair enough, that would make some sense. However if this is a future style of directing her character, it will not bode well alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So this was not a great episode.

At least the Klingons are starting to look like Klingons now do.

I have to say the section 31 bit do and the Empress/Philpa Georgia bit was cool. Cool ship for Section31 too.

I wonder what it was Micheal done to really piss her brother off that he does not want to talk to her anymore?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »
    So this was not a great episode.

At least the Klingons are starting to look like Klingons now do.

I have to say the section 31 bit do and the Empress/Philpa Georgia bit was cool. Cool ship for Section31 too.

I wonder what it was Micheal done to really piss her brother off that he does not want to talk to her anymore?

This was absolutely a table setting episode, episode 4 too but the latter one managed to more deftly thread the competing arcs.

The Michael / Amanda conversation was one of the worst dialogue scenes in a professional, modern drama I'd watched in years. It broke nesrly every sensible guideline to scriptwriting I can think of.

• Advertisement

The worst thing about that scene was nearly every thing was at a whisper.

Advertisement