Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper sauce recipie

Options
  • 01-02-2019 10:25am

I am obsessed with pepper sauce you find at restauraunts, they all taste quite similar. When I try to make it off recipies on the internet it tastes nothing similar. Has anyone an idea how to make it properly?
    I usually use the pan the steak was cooked in, butter, brandy, beef stock, cream, shallots, crushed pepper, mustard etc but still hasnt that taste I think I am missing something or putting too little of something in. Maybe more brandy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

If it's quite a thick pepper sauce, then the restaurant probably used cornflour to thicken the sauce.

A distinctive thing that's used in restaurant or hotel kitchens a lot is demi glace. It's just not used domestically so it's tough to replicate the flavour at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Yeah i'd imagine it is the demi glace that you are tasting in various restaraunts. This takes hours to make from scratch. you could try pick some up in a wholesalers.

Your recipe looks pretty good in fairness. reducing down more or making your own beef stock might make a difference (again takes time).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You're using too much liquid in your sauce, imo. Deglaze the pan with your brandy and let it reduce by half or so. Add in your cream and your crushed peppercorns (I always do them roughly in the pestle & mortar rather than just using a pepper mill, you get much more depth of flavour), let it reduce to your desired consistency, taste, add salt if required and bob's yer uncle. I don't add butter to mine but it will add a certain extra silkiness to the sauce if you feel it needs it.

Thanks everyone, I love cooking so I don’t mind if it takes time I just want to know what it is i’m missing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Food service pepper sauce is often Knorr commercial powder made up with milk not water - far less likely in proper restaurants but definitely going to pop up from time to time

• Advertisement
Advertisement