Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recommend a decent but inexpensive Solicitor

Options
  • 01-02-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

all suggestions welcome please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

also interested if you find one in Dublin for conveyancing

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Beware, you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you go cheap on the solicitor you'll be hiring someone who makes their money on volume. You will find it difficult to get replies, things won't be pushed/chased and any bumps in the road they will recommend pulling out rather than trying to sort the issue. You don't have to pay very much over the cheaper tier to get a decent solicitor. For an excellent solicitor in D5 PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

If you go cheap on the solicitor you'll be hiring someone who makes their money on volume. You will find it difficult to get replies, things won't be pushed/chased and any bumps in the road they will recommend pulling out rather than trying to sort the issue. You don't have to pay very much over the cheaper tier to get a decent solicitor. For an excellent solicitor in D5 PM me if you like.

thanks all

forgive my ignorance but how much would a cheap solicitor be ( ballpark) in comparison to an expensive one?

vat is not included right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I can't recall what we paid but you generally compare the 'professional fee' which is only a fraction of what you actually pay over. VAT won't be included in quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

mkdon wrote: »
    thanks all

forgive my ignorance but how much would a cheap solicitor be ( ballpark) in comparison to an expensive one?

vat is not included right ?

We paid 1500 for the conveyancing without VAT but our solicitor has since retired. A gathered that this figure is a good orientation on what the average price is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Have pmd you both the solicitor we used.

He does a flat rate including land registry fees, filing, sorting, printing, phone calls etc and includes professional fee for €2500. Obviously you'll have your stamp duty then seperately but at least you go in to it knowing what your bill will be at the end of it.

Have to say I've heard some nightmares about solicitors but he was really on the ball and great for keeping us in the loop, couldn't recommend him more. Using him again at the moment for switching our mortgage. I've referred a few people on boards and in person to him now and so far so good! He's Very proactive in contacting the vendors solicitor and reaching out to our lender too which seems to be unusual in a solicitor.

Not sure if I’m allowed say who we used but happy to PM anyone else who wants details!

Best of luck in your buying process!

Advertisement