Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tank transfer advice

Options
  • 01-02-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of upgrading from a 180 - 260l tank and just thought I'd share my proposed methodology for comment in case I'd missed anything.

I have the luxury of being able to run both tanks at the same time so this simplifies things massively - although I do HAVE to get rid of the 180l tank once I've moved across.

I have taken the filter media from the new tank and have it sitting in the old tank for the last week (but not with water being specifically pumped through it).

Yesterday I bought new similar substrate and rinsed it before putting it in the new tank and added about 60l of new treated water.

My intentions are:
    1. Take all ornaments out of the 180l tank and leave aside.
    2. Gather the substrate from the 180l and transfer to the 260l.
    3. Transfer half of the water from the 180l to the 260l - from this point on I'll be without a heater in either tank.
    4. Take the 260l filter media out of the 180l tank and setup in the 260l filter.
    5. Catch my fish and transfer to the 260l.
    6. Take the filter media out of the 180l filter and squeeze it out in the 260l tank. I'll then probably setup the 180l filter to also run in the 260l tank.
    7. Arrange all the ornaments etc in the 260l tank.
    8. Transfer the rest of the water from the 180l to the 260l tank, turn on the heater and top up with treated water as required.

Anything I'm missing or anything you would do differently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All looks good to me tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sleepy wrote:
    All looks good to me tbh!

By way of an update the only thing I'd do differently is I'd catch the fish before moving the substrate - as soon as I started disturbing the substrate the water got so cloudy that I couldn't even see an inch into the tank - made catching the fish much more difficult

Advertisement