Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small extension and garage conversion

Options
  • 01-02-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a 4 bed semi-detached house, with a detached garage (that is semi-detached with the neighbours garage if that makes sense).

We would like more living space so what we would be looking to do is:

- build a small extension (about 4m x 2m) to join the garage to the house. This would probably be used as a utility room. This would involve knocking a garden wall and the room would have 1 external door and 2 internal doors (one joining the kitchen, 1 joining the garage.

- convert the garage (now attached to the house via the new extension) into a usable living space (living room or play room). The garage is 18sqm, block built, concrete floor, pitched roof. We would ideally like to close up the front garage door completely and add a large sliding/bifold door onto the side of the garage that opens into the back garden.

Any rough estimates on the cost of these two jobs. I was thinking €10k-€15k for the extension and then €10k-€15k as well for the garage?

Also, any idea if this will require planning? It's less than 40sqm and it is to the rear of the property, but it is a detached garage so that's what has me confused (it won't be detached by the end of the build). We do intend on getting an architect in to advise on this. This is all just in my head at this stage.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Planning required.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Hi,

We have a 4 bed semi-detached house, with a detached garage (that is semi-detached with the neighbours garage if that makes sense).

We would like more living space so what we would be looking to do is:

- build a small extension (about 4m x 2m) to join the garage to the house. This would probably be used as a utility room. This would involve knocking a garden wall and the room would have 1 external door and 2 internal doors (one joining the kitchen, 1 joining the garage.

- convert the garage (now attached to the house via the new extension) into a usable living space (living room or play room). The garage is 18sqm, block built, concrete floor, pitched roof. We would ideally like to close up the front garage door completely and add a large sliding/bifold door onto the side of the garage that opens into the back garden.

Any rough estimates on the cost of these two jobs. I was thinking €10k-€15k for the extension and then €10k-€15k as well for the garage?

Also, any idea if this will require planning? It's less than 40sqm and it is to the rear of the property, but it is a detached garage so that's what has me confused (it won't be detached by the end of the build). We do intend on getting an architect in to advise on this. This is all just in my head at this stage.

If the prices I am getting generally are anything to go by, - plan for at least 50K. Though I am hearing things are slowing a bit generally in the last several months, - material costs are high.

Don't skimp on insulation and air-tightness where you can, - do the best that can be done or don't do it at all is my advice, - triple glazing low u-value on all new windows etc.. Part of our works is trying to "fix" a previous extension in terms of insulation etc. by the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ravendude wrote: »
    If the prices I am getting generally are anything to go by, - plan for at least 50K. Though I am hearing things are slowing a bit generally in the last several months, - material costs are high.

Don't skimp on insulation and air-tightness where you can, - do the best that can be done or don't do it at all is my advice, - triple glazing low u-value on all new windows etc.. Part of our works is trying to "fix" a previous extension in terms of insulation etc. by the previous owner.

Ouch. Can I ask what size job you are getting prices on?

Now thinking we might just do the utility room extension for now, as that in and of itself will lead to altering the layout of our kitchen (maybe a new kitchen entirely, though our current one is only 5 years old).

BryanF wrote: »
    Planning required.

Is that purely because the garage is detached from the house?

Would a utility room extension to the rear of the house, which connected the house to garage, but doesn't convert the garage, be exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Ouch. Can I ask what size job you are getting prices on?

Now thinking we might just do the utility room extension for now, as that in and of itself will lead to altering the layout of our kitchen (maybe a new kitchen entirely, though our current one is only 5 years old).

Ours is bigger job alright. One thing I can say is that i am learning now that building has advanced a lot in the last 10 years (since we last considered some building work), and to do things right costs a bit more up front, with (I hope!!!) the expectation of a more comfortablr and healthier living environment.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Planning required.

We have decided not to go ahead with the extension and just convert the detached garage.

Is planning still a requirement (it will be a playroom and a utility room)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Less than 25m2, with a Use thats ancillary to the main dwelling house and not habitable (ie bedroom) accommodation, IMO planning not required.

Advertisement