Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking.com free cancellation up to 24h before stay.

Options
  • 01-02-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I booked a hotel in Ney York for the end of the year,it was a free cancellation up to 24 hours before stay option ,but ive just spotted €228 is pending on my Visa Debit card from the hotel,can they do that?Im waiting on a response from Booking.com and hotel.
    I only booked it to have somewhere booked,but at least i had the option to cancel if something else more appealing came up,but now it looks like im stuck with that hotel option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

<SNIP>

You'll get the full 228 back if you cancelled, no prepayment is what you should have been looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

ASOT wrote: »
    pkvader wrote: »
    I booked a hotel in Ney York for the end of the year,it was a free cancellation up to 24 hours before stay option ,but ive just spotted €228 is pending on my Visa Debit card from the hotel,can they do that?Im waiting on a response from Booking.com and hotel.
    I only booked it to have somewhere booked,but at least i had the option to cancel if something else more appealing came up,but now it looks like im stuck with that hotel option.

You'll get the full 228 back if you cancelled, no prepayment is what you should have been looking for.
    The option i sected when booking was 'pay nothing now' 'pay full amount on arrival',but theres €228 pending on my card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

pkvader wrote: »
    The option i sected when booking was 'pay nothing now' 'pay full amount on arrival',but theres €228 pending on my card now.

Ah see you left that out of your OP, ring booking.com and they should sort it. Similar has happened to me with places in Vegas, turns out it was a pre charge the week I was heading over. What dates are you going and are you sure it said payment on arrival?
    Some of the free cancellation options arent always that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

That can sometimes happen if a debit card is used rather than a credit card. I'd say the hotel as taken a pre authoristion. As it's a debit card it gets charged to the card immediately.

Always best to make the booking with a credit card I find you can always use the debit card to pay when you get there.

Going in November,yeah definitely payment on arrival,just waiting to hear back from Booking.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a pre-auth, it'll release in anywhere from 5 to 14 days depending on your bank - booking.com cannot make it go faster. Don't use debit cards for what credit cards are designed for

L1011 wrote: »
    Its a pre-auth, it'll release in anywhere from 5 to 14 days depending on your bank - booking.com cannot make it go faster. Don't use debit cards for what credit cards are designed for
    Yeah,i hadnt used booking.com in a while and the credit card i had saved on there was an old card that is out of date,so i jusy imput my debit card details thinking that would do to hold the booking.
    Just went through the confirmation email small print,
    'As a routine procedure, the property may take a temporary deposit to check the card you booked with isn't lost or stolen and to guarantee your booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I always use my debit card and choose free cancellation/no pre payment. Card has never been charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Depends on the particular hotel's policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Booking with Debit Card/Credit Card makes no difference on booking.com.. ive just been precharged €120 on 2 bookings i made using a credit card with free cancellation by hotels in spain. Another hotel i booked through Otel.com in the canaries on free cancellation charged me full price immediately!
    I find it varies country to country..for example i have booked quite a few stays in britain and not been charged anything till arrival and sometimes even till checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

This is why you should read the terms and conditions. It clearly states on booking. Com they can pre authorise or hold an amount prior to arrival.

Ive seen them take the full amount and more off friends while they were on holiday leaving them in a sticky situation.. Because they had not read the confirmation.

I did get lucky once or twice as some hotels dont hold an amount but more often than not they do.

You cant complain to booking.com its stated clearly on their website

Yes but the whole point of booking with credit card is you will be paying that off later yourself that month. Usually your debit card is full with your spending money

Advertisement