Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on 47k or under entitled to HAP !!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've done some work on the RTB inspections and, quite frankly, my home, and those of most of my friends that are paying mortgages on their own homes or renting privately wouldn't pass.

Most of the fixes required to pass would be fairly minor but it's still incredible to think that we expect higher standards for those who aren't paying their way in life than for those who are.

Not everyone on HAP or in CoCo housing is on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yes, most failures of the standards are pretty minor. Wall vents, fire blankets, heaters in bathrooms.

Private tenancies, while obliged to comply, will never be inspected unless there is a complaint made to the local authority. They would be fewer than 10% of all inspections done. The vast majority of inspections are for the HAP and RAS schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not everyone on HAP or in CoCo housing is on the dole.
    I didn't say they were. If you're in receipt of HAP, however, it can't be said that you're paying your way in life. Your lifestyle is being subsidised by your fellow citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I didn't say they were. If you're in receipt of HAP, however, it can't be said that you're paying your way in life. Your lifestyle is being subsidised by your fellow citizens.

Subsidized because the system is broken and needs an overhaul, not by choice in a lot of cases I imagine.

The problem is a lot of people cannot live a normal life even on the "Living Wage" in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Or you could look at it like this
    Sleepy wrote:
    If you're a landlord in receipt of HAP, however, it can't be said that you're paying your way in life. Your property is being subsidised by your fellow citizens.

Rents would not be as high as they are if HAP didn't exist and low earners were accommodated in proper state owned social housing. HAP is a gift for landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

steo_magra wrote: »
    Subsidized because the system is broken and needs an overhaul, not by choice in a lot of cases I imagine.

The problem is a lot of people cannot live a normal life even on the "Living Wage" in this country.

100% agree with this, I work 5 days a week 40+ hours for 21.5k, thats 4 years of college with an honors degree in Business and I.T for that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

marketty wrote: »
    If HAP is such a bad deal for landlords why don't they lobby government to build thousands of units of local authority owned and managed social housing, like we did for decades in this country? Because they know if that happened the sky high rents achievable at the moment would collapse. To be fair, I'll agree with you that HAP may be a pain for a landlord in relation to his/her particular property and circumstances, and there's always the risk of the nightmare tenant (with or without HAP btw), but the very existence of HAP in the market as a driver of rent prices is a good thing for landlords, even those who don't accept it.

It's a pain for small, one property or accidental landlords, but institutional landlords have no such problems as they have the scale and resources to comply with it.
    Simply put, our housing crisis is the fault of fine gael and their ideology largely, and those that voted and continue to vote for them are responsible and should hang their heads in shame. If you are moaning about it and have voted for them or plan on doing so, you are a hypocritical moron. This crisis is simply policy, and exactly as intended by those that created it.

What utter drivel, you are paying what you are capable and the rest is subsidised. If you can't see that you are either blind, stupid or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

terrydel wrote: »
    What utter drivel, you are paying what you are capable and the rest is subsidised. If you can't see that you are either blind, stupid or both.

so the government is paying some of your rent .... and youre not supporting yourself..... which is what the poster said.

Not being able to decline HAP/RA was the worst thing to happen to rent rates in the nation, it set a new floor for the price of a rental in any given area as landlords could rent any crap shack that just about met standards for the full whack limit of RA/HAP , it also meant it was the floor price that every landlord who doesnt want to take these payments had to advertise over in order to avoid ending up in trouble.

so the government is paying some of your rent .... and youre not supporting yourself..... which is what the poster said.

Not being able to decline HAP/RA was the worst thing to happen to rent rates in the nation, it set a new floor for the price of a rental in any given area as landlords could rent any crap shack that just about met standards for the full whack limit of RA/HAP , it also meant it was the floor price that every landlord who doesnt want to take these payments had to advertise over in order to avoid ending up in trouble.

He said that it can't be said you're paying your way, that's the drivel, you are paying you way as much as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

terrydel wrote: »
    He said that it can't be said you're paying your way, that's the drivel, you are paying you way as much as you can.

"i want to buy x for 1000 euro "
    "if you pay 200 the government will pay the other 800 for it"
    "it can hardly be said you paid for that entirely"
    "but I paid what I could for it"

Taking a subsidy on a service like renting a property does not mean youre paying your way, it means youre paying as much as you can, but not the value of the service.

"i want to buy x for 1000 euro "
    "if you pay 200 the government will pay the other 800 for it"
    "it can hardly be said you paid for that entirely"
    "but I paid what I could for it"

Taking a subsidy on a service like renting a property does not mean youre paying your way, it means youre paying as much as you can, but not the value of the service.

You're paying what you can afford, to me that's paying your way.

In any case, the clear insinuation in the original post I responded to was that those on hap are scrounging, hence I correctly labelled it drivel

Advertisement