Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External student results

Options
  • 01-02-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

If I drop out of school and sit my leaving cert in the school I dropped out of, will the school have my results on results day or will they be posted to me?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends whether the school enters you or you are an external.

If you are in 6th year you are probably already entered by the school. You would need to check. They do not have to let you sit it there if you are no longer a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

I'm in 5th year. I'm well aware the school has no obligation to let me sit it there, however they have accommodated students doing so in the past, so I think my chances are fairly strong.

With that in mind, would I be entered as an external candidate? Or does it depend on the school

Thanks for your response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would depend when you leave.

If it was before about November of 6th year, they may not have sent in the preliminary entries, but ask the school's Examination Secretary to be sure.

I will be leaving before the end of 5th year.

Sorry to plague with questions, but I am also taking a subject that the school does not offer. Given that I would not be enrolled by the school, would you expect that to be a cause of trouble? As in, I know they facilitate students sitting external subjects but not sure where I stand if I'm no longer a student of the school.

I'm not sure how that one works. I know if you are a student they can enter you for a subject you do not do with them, though the SEC may look for evidence you followed a course leading to it.

You would need to ask them. If there isn't someone already sitting a particular subject in the school and a centre has to be opened just for you, the SEC might not be happy (cost-wise, all the more so these days), given you are not a student of the school and might ask you to sit it in one of their centres for external students.

• Advertisement

Ah okay, that makes sense. Do the centres for external students also facilitate orals? I don't really mind doing my entire cert in one if needs be, the school would just be more convenient.

As far as I know the external centres are only for written papers. You would have to contact the SEC if there is an issue getting a centre for an oral.

Many thanks for your help.

Advertisement