Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stick or twist ?

• 01-02-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭

I'm at a bit of cross roads with regards to my motor.

I've a 2011 1.6tdi Skoda superb from new with almost 330,000km on the clock .. i put most of these miles on the clock in the early years.

Life has changed and I do much fewer miles now .. approx 170km a week.

I've been humming and hawing about changing it for something different and more enjoyable for a while. The wife has a decent new motor and changes every 3/4 years - so we will always have the new motor on the drive for the family.

Where my issue is now - I had been considering getting rid of the skoda and getting a 2010/2013 GTI - Something fun for when I do drive.

I just picked up the superb after a service and on the way home my head kept telling me to hold on to it. Despite the high milage its cost me shag all.

- Timing belt & water pump (as due)
    - a brake light bulb
    - A set of discs and a couple of brake pads
    - its very easy on tyres
    - averaging over 60mpg (tracked by Fuelly over 200,000km)

it's never given a spot of bother - so why risk the change to an unknown.

I'd get next to nothing for it if I sold it privately (interior is in great nick - body has plenty of battle scars); main dealers generally won't sell cars older than 4/5 years old so no option to trade there.

I'd be buying privately with all the risks associated with buying something that has a decent chance of being treated badly coupled with not a whole pile of choice out there.

Do I stick with the boring tried and tested or follow my heart. I've never bought a second hand car before - everything i've had has been new since my first car - so probably a bit risk adverse when it comes to buying a lemon !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Go for it. Have a look at the thread here in relation to buying second hand. Don't rush it, you don't need to. Wait until you find something you really like rather than trying to seek out the best of what's there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

If you do your homework and adequate checks then you will minimize the chances of getting a bad second hand car. As mentioned above you are in no hurry to get anything so you'll have time to wait for the right car. I'd say go out and look and drive a few and that will give you a better idea of wether it's worth changing. Also is the amount and type of driving you will be doing worth it. For example if you will be driving 5 days a week in rush hour traffic on the m50 car park then it will make bugger all difference whether you drive a skoda superb or a Ferrari. But if you well get a chance to get out on a back road at the weekend then that will make a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I am leaning towards the making a change camp alright - i had a MKV Gti from new before I got the skoda - due to huge commute and growing family the superb was needed. I regret selling that car every day and hence why I am looking at going back in time.

I'll keep an eye out and if the one I want comes up I'll look at making the change - It will need to be a 5-door, dsg in black with leather .. so i'm am hamstringing myself a bit - but in no rush

Advertisement