Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Haha. Okie dokie. Not sure you actually understood what is generally meant by evidence. But I’m no longer fussed so don’t sweat it.

He has huge credibility and commands great respect among peers, viewers and politicians alike.

Are you Owen Jones?

Ha ha ha.

Sorry. Now I fully realise your point of view if this is the stock you put into absolute cads such as Neil. He's a disgrace to his profession and a terrible advertisement for the BBC.

And no owen Jones is a runt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

His show on the BBC has become just that a 'show' with Michael Portillo just allowed to sit there and makes haughty faces at those who disagree with Brexit. I can't watch it anymore it is that blatant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

His show on the BBC has become just that a 'show' with Michael Portillo just allowed to sit there and makes haughty faces at those who disagree with Brexit. I can't watch it anymore it is that blatant.

Another reason to refuse paying the BBC licence fee for me (as well as that audience stitch up on Question Time the other week) but the licence fee is in my wife's name and I cannot convince her it is the right move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah it’s not true - they are consolidating manufacturing in Japan.

The Honda factory in turkey (inside the CU obviously) is also closing with the vehicles made there also being transferred to japan.

I’m not one for obstinately saying that there are no ill-effects being felt by manufacturers in Britain by us leaving the European Union but in this instance it does look like it’s not a major factor, to me at least
    Which plant in Turkey?

https://global.honda/about/group/category.html?category=manufacturing-facilities

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hurrache wrote: »
    Another for the No **** Javid column

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/18/sajid-javid-warns-eu-counterparts-of-joint-policing-disruption
    The home secretary, Sajid Javid, has urged his EU counterparts to prepare for the eventuality that current joint policing systems could discontinue on 30 March because of a no-deal Brexit.

Germany warns it will stop extradition of its citizens to UK after Brexit
    Financial Times reported on.ft.com/2DPMBED on Sunday, citing a formal notification submitted by Germany to the European Commission last week.

I'm beginning to think that the leavers may not have thought this whole Brexit thing through.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^related article...
    UK minister warns EU counterparts of joint policing ‘disruption’
    Javid says no deal in place for extradition, data sharing and arrest warrants after Brexit
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/uk-minister-warns-eu-counterparts-of-joint-policing-disruption-1.3798318

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suppose this is what No Deal Brexit is beginning to look like.
    What did UK politicians think it would be?

Water John wrote: »
    Silly continentals being divided and ruled of course.

• Advertisement

Honda may well have stayed in Swindon if it hadn't been for the hostile business environment the UK has turned into.

Shipping complete cars is presumably quite a bit more expensive than shipping parts (cars are mostly air by volume) crammed into crates for final assembly close to the retail market.

Things may and probably would have changed due to the EU - Japan FTA (signed off by a Tory government) but I don't believe that closing the entire plant would have happened.

But we'll probably never know for sure. Suffice to say Brexit is not helping British car manufacturing one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,300 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Swindon voted to leave, Sunderland voted to leave
    Honda and Nissan are like '' thanks for nothing, we'll leave too''

They're getting what they deserved. How on earth did two places like that vote to leave, when everyone knows someone who works for Honda or Nissan. Talk about biting the hand that literally feeds you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Four Ministers visited TM in No 10 today and told her to take No Deal off the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Only 39 days to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sammy Wilson having a free reign to spout whatever he likes on CB live...

UK is a bigger market for Irish exports than the rest of the EU apparently - surely interviewers have these ready stats on hand for an easy rebuttal..

She's getting a bit screechy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Claire Byrne interviewing Sammy Wilson and the same old Brexit/backstop/border fallacies get repeated.

There is no point in attempting to debate people like Sammy Wilson unless you wish to demonstrate the unreasonableness of Brexit fundamentalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

lawred2 wrote: »
    UK is a bigger market for Irish exports than the rest of the EU apparently - surely interviewers have these ready stats on hand for an easy rebuttal..

They should have them laminated and stabled to the desk at this stage.

I'd rather RTE spent time talking to the more reasonable side of the Brexiteer camp. The DUP have no economic arguments at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Claire Byrne interviewing Sammy Wilson and the same old Brexit/backstop/border fallacies get repeated.

There is no point in trying to debate people like Sammy Wilson unless you're trying to demonstrate the unreasonableness of Brexit fundamentalists.

Well you could have a few rebuttals on hand. CB seems badly under prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well you could have a few rebuttals on hand. CB seems badly under prepared.

Sammy is impervious to fact. She did try but he just kept on.
    I think she did score a few points on the divisions emerging in the DUP.
    I think we will see more of this as they try to salvage something from their abuse of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Barely a mention of today's Honda news on Newsnight. Just 25 minutes on the Labour defectors and a piece on the Yellow Vesters. Just brush the bad news under the carpet and we will run down the clock to a hard Brexit. The BBC don't want a boring old extention to Article 50. They want out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Barely a mention of today's Honda news on Newsnight. Just 25 minutes on the Labour defectors and a piece on the Yellow Vesters. Just brush the bad news under the carpet and we will run down the clock to a hard Brexit. The BBC don't want a boring old extention to Article 50. They want out.

It's possible though they made an editorial decision to cover it tomorrow night instead. Would have been tricky enough to go with both the Labour and Honda story in detail in one episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Water John wrote: »

Lots of mini-deals.

All on favourable terms, coz they need us more than we need them ...

It's lamentable that all these foreigners seem to have a better understanding of plain English than most of the Brexiteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's possible though they made an editorial decision to cover it tomorrow night instead. Would have been tricky enough to go with both the Labour and Honda story in detail in one episode.

Exactly. it's officially not a story until tomorrows announcement anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

branie2 wrote: »
    Only 39 days to go
    935 hours.

And they still arguing about how to rearrange the deck chairs.

The maths are that 7 MP's might just offset the DUP. But that's never going to happen. Because the SNP could have done that too. So nothings changed.

And the bad news keeps tricking out.

Even the good news is bad news.
    Full employment ?
    It's because companies aren't investing in capital
    But productivity hasn't gone up.

And some of the economic activity is a once-off.
    Stockpiling is at an all time high
    "Stocks of inputs increased at the sharpest pace in the 27-year history, as buying activity was stepped up to mitigate against potential supply-chain disruptions in coming months.

"There were also signs that inventories of finished goods were being bolstered to ensure warehouses are well stocked to meet ongoing contractual obligations."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Actually it's probably better not to interact with crazy to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Actually it's probably better not to interact with crazy to be fair.

So why have him on then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1097631401711554560

At what point will these idiots just be ignored and not given airtime?

Sammy Wilson has been nothing but an embarrassment during all of this, saying "well get a chippy" in the house of parliament, and then this sort of stuff above.

TM has to take responsibility for this, she went into power with these clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So why have him on then?

Especially if he is allowed free reign to spout nonsense.
    Tbh, I wouldn't expect CB to have the intelligence to pull him up on anything anyway.

Remember that this guy and his party are dying for a NO DEAL, as they seem to think its going to make Britain great again and the Empire will come back.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Especially if he is allowed free reign to spout nonsense.
    Tbh, I wouldn't expect CB to have the intelligence to pull him up on anything anyway.

Remember that this guy and his party are dying for a NO DEAL, as they seem to think its going to make Britain great again and the Empire will come back.
    I suspect at least some of the DUP MPs are on Putin's payroll, knowingly or unknowingly, probably the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

it looks like it could be an event for the ages.

Trump is mostly hurting the people who voted for him, and so far has been incompetent enough that he is pretty harmless to most of the world, so I can see the fascination in watching and laughing.

Brexit will hurt the people who voted for it most, but it is close enough to hurt everyone else a lot too, so not so funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement