Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Enzokk wrote: »
    Do you agree with the commentary piece? Do you think the EU Commission is run by Berlin? Do you think this is correct as well?

Is there a plan to get Italy and force them into recession because of their immigration policies? Or has Italy been a problem economy for a while now before the immigration crises and it has only come to a head now?

I actually think the article is shocking and inaccurate but found it interesting-i think Germany is the driving force in the EU-I am suspicious of the French but overall think the EU is the best place for the UK to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I actually think the article is shocking and inaccurate but found it interesting-i think Germany is the driving force in the EU-I am suspicious of the French but overall think the EU is the best place for the UK to be.
    Do you find the French racially untrustworthy?

Gibraltar has not been known as a colony since the 80s.

We tend not to refer to German Democratic Republic and the Stasi much these days either, because it’s discourteous and innacurate
    Well yes, but that's because they don't actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Anthracite wrote: »
    Do you find the French racially untrustworthy?

I do the French a disservice-it's macron I'm suspicious of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47120759
    Nissan will be forced to reapply for nearly £60m of taxpayer support after backtracking on a promise to build its X-Trail SUV in Sunderland.
    In 2015 the industry invested £2,500m so this £60m spread over a few years isn't that much.

But it indicates the HMG may also also pull funding on other things.

Brexit is distracting attention from the day to day business of keeping the lights on. Like the funding for the Hinkley C Nuclear plant which is dependent on EDF getting an EPR reactor up an running next year.[/URL] The current delay on that French plant is over bad welding, again.

Time wasted on Brexit is time that can't be used for other business.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47094643
    Northern Ireland could face a housing shortage if legislation is not passed to reclassify housing associations as private bodies by the end of March, it has been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47120759In 2015 the industry invested £2,500m so this £60m spread over a few years isn't that much.

To a large manufacturing company like Nissan 60 million is buttons.

Its the type of money they'd find down the back of the couch.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,275 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

_90351531_017563785-1.jpg

_105476865_052074367-1.jpg

The pressure she is under is telling. God knows why she just doesn't walk away and relax. The last two years have took it's toll on her and for what, fighting for a cause she clearly did not support.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw the following tweet and two things struck me.
    Firstly the idea of "taking control of our borders" seems to have been completely abandoned in favour of the less intelligent "let's have no borders except in NI" (A drug dealers paradise)
    Possibly worse, the terminology ("remoaners") used by MPs and others in charge designed to insult half the population is only going to help deepen the division. I presume insults come from both sides although I cannot recall derogatory terms from the anti-Brexit side. You'd think at this stage they'd all have started to show some decency?

https://twitter.com/AndrewRosindell/status/1092510520920457216?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

George Mitchell, US senator who helped broker GFA, interviewed by Sky News on Brexit. Says shouldnt do anything which risks violence. 'Governments shouldnt make promises lightly, and when they do make promises, they should keep them'.

May visiting NI tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Firstly the idea of "taking control of our borders" seems to have been completely abandoned in favour of the less intelligent "let's have no borders except in NI" (A drug dealers paradise)
    And it's only temporary.

And if they keep it up they'd have to extend it to the Chinese too and then the EU will go Shields UP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Well yes, but that's because they don't actually exist.

Neither does the colony of Gibraltar.

It’s a British Overseas Territory.

Doesn’t bother me what you call it - but it does demonstrate a desire to be antagonistic

The EU are never going to ground any airline are they ?

Today the EU's European Aviation Safety Agency suspended permission for Turkmenistan Airlines to fly in the EU.
    Those who have booked but are now unable to fly will have to contact the airline for a refund.

"Passengers who booked directly with the company via either a credit, charge or debit card may alternatively be able to make a claim against their card provider," the CAA said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The pressure she is under is telling. God knows why she just doesn't walk away and relax. The last two years have took it's toll on her and for what, fighting for a cause she clearly did not support.

Watching the BBC documentary last week it struck me how much she aged in the period from when Cameron was PM to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

briany wrote: »
    The horrible severe aul' wan haircut she opted for isn't helping matters either.

Would either of you be making such comments about a male politician?

The first comment was regarding how someone has aged, there's nothing sexist, which you're implying, about that.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The first comment was regarding how someone has aged, there's nothing sexist, which you're implying, about that.

Perhaps more often than not these sort of comments are directed at female politicians.

Neither does the colony of Gibraltar.

It’s a British Overseas Territory.
    Isn't that a bit Orwellian? We won't call them Gulags, we'll call them re-education camps? It's still a Gulag.

Gibraltar is still a colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Possibly worse, the terminology ("remoaners") used by MPs and others in charge designed to insult half the population is only going to help deepen the division. I presume insults come from both sides although I cannot recall derogatory terms from the anti-Brexit side. You'd think at this stage they'd all have started to show some decency?

https://twitter.com/AndrewRosindell/status/1092510520920457216?s=19

Here's what Rod McKenzie, from the Road Haulage Association, said:

"Business is simply not ready for a chaotic no-deal Brexit. The systems aren't in place, the staff are not trained, there isn't the time in the day for hauliers and businesses to do all the paperwork,"

But what would he know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People regularly comment on how quickly Obama seemed to age while in office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is Raab actually some surrealist comedian? Almost like Ali G where he confidence tricks you, only maybe he is playing the long game with the joke?

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1091754772812759041

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Many people made constant comments about the difference in obama after his first term

VinLieger wrote: »
    Many people made constant comments about the difference in obama after his first term

Comments like "The horrible severe aul' wan haircut she opted for isn't helping matters either.'' My point is that the woman has done awful things we don't need to lower the tone to commenting on her appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pretty stark portrayal of the position of Irish citizens in northern Ireland by a barrister on Claire Byrne.
    It's getting scary on a practical level for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Perhaps more often than not these sort of comments are directed at female politicians.

Are they though? When someone in the public eye appears to noticeably age over to a period of sustained high stress many people pass comment on it be they male or female.

Case in point would be many football managers who are often the subject of before and after pics.

Comments like "The horrible severe aul' wan haircut she opted for isn't helping matters either.'' My point is that the woman has done awful things we don't need to lower the tone to commenting on her appearance.

The initial comment on how her position has had a visible detrimental effect on her appearance is not lowering the tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,816 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are they though? When someone in the public eye appears to noticeably age over to a period of sustained high stress many people pass comment on it be they male or female.

Case in point would be many football managers who are often the subject of before and after pics.

They definitely are.
    Soon after May became PM, she met with Nicola Sturgeon...

_95348796_mail2ndedition.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Isn't that a bit Orwellian? We won't call them Gulags, we'll call them re-education camps? It's still a Gulag.

Gibraltar is still a colony.

Maybe the dictionary agrees, but officials would still do well to pay attention to the sensitivities around the word. If they're deliberately trying to inflame sentiment by using the word, that'd be a little out of step with EU officials' usually quite dry language. In a roundabout way, it could be a suggestion that EU officials are a bit rattled.

That is all unless that's just what the EU are using for each overseas holding, including ones by EU members who are not departing, but if not then it does indicate a bit of niggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

She's also become an insulin dependent diabetic over the last few years. I wouldn't think it's fair to say it's all stress.

I don't like her politics. I profoundly disagree with how she's handling Brexit and the way her government is seemingly negotiating in bad faith but she's very much in control and it's nothing to do with her gender or looks.

Her job is basically herding cats - very unpredictable, jingoistic, illogical, right wing cats from the 19th century.

I actually think it's quite patronising to portray her has some kind of damsel in distress. She's pushed very right leaving policies since she was home secretary and she's been very much the architect of this by calling a general election based on an over confident prediction and doing a deal with the DUP, ignoring all advice.

She's prepared to fight on and fight to win, from what I can see at any cost.

I've no idea what she's trying to win, but she's not looking like she's going to back down under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Is it not the case that Gibraltar referred to itself as a colony in legal documents to the EU as recently as 2016 or 17?

Saw that stated on Twitter from, I think a reputable source, I'll look for a link.

As I understand it, it was in a British court seeking an exempton to UK gambling law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    As I understand it, it was in a British court seeking an exempton to UK gambling law.

My understanding was that it was a tax on gambling that UK introduced in 2014 and Gibraltar were appealing to the EU claiming to be a separate entity to the rest of the UK and that the tax was unfair under free market rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement